“Overachiever!!!”

Ranked #55 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Spring Hill, Tennessee
“Overachiever!!!”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I am from Birmingham. Both my parents died in the last several years and so I am not back there very often. When I am I normally stay at the downtown Sheraton or outside the city. I've known of this hotel for YEARS (back in the 70's when I'd see the Ernest Angele buses parked outside it).

I had a flight at about 5am and needed an overnight close to the airport. I booked this hotel with FEAR! It was, I thought, old, dirty and rundown. WAS I EVER WRONG!

First off they allow parking for $5 a night or $20 a week if you are traveling and a free shuttle to the airport!!! Then when I got there the front desk staff was friendly and helpful and the hotel seemed clean. When I got to my room it was well lit, clean, smelled good, cool and looked like it had just been refurbished!!! Everything about my stay was AWESOME. I will actually TRY to stay here from now on when I am in or through B'ham.

Room Tip: You have to call for the shuttle from the airport - don't wait on it.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Leo J, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
I am so glad you enjoyed our airport parking; many guests love to park and fly. For future reference we have a rate that includes parking, check it out, it just might save you money. I am so glad that our front desk staff wowed you; we expect them to take extra care with our entire guest. Thanks for calling your visit AWESOME, we think all of our guests are AWESOME too. All of our great staff work very hard to make each travelers stay special. We look forward to seeing you in the future

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Clean rooms. Lots of noise but great location. Restaurant and loung were not open. Pool was broken. No laundry/ dry cleaning services a cording to the trainee at the front desk... Bummed they were suppose to offer such ammenities and didnt... Breakfast buffet 9.95 for what you would get for free as continental other than some scrambled eggs and bacon.... Over priced.

• Stayed June 2013
I am sorry that the restaurant and lounge were not open while you visited our hotel. They will be open very soon with a great menu and great service. We look forward to all our guests enjoying it and telling us what they think. Our pool had an unexpected problem and needed some serious construction done to it. While it has taken longer than expected soon our beautiful pool will be open again for all guests to enjoy. It is unfortunate that you were told we do not have laundry/dry cleaning service. We offer same day service Monday thru Friday. I hope you will return after renovations are complete to enjoy our great new restaurant and newly upgraded pool. We thank you for your comments. It is always important to us to know what our guests like and dislike so we can continue to improve our service to each guest.
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I was on the third floor and there was no noise issues. I had no problems with the "area" bc this is an airport hotel, you aren't choosing it for its location aside from being close to the airport. I was traveling alone with a baby and did not feel like I was in danger. I am a smart, frequent traveler who works for a major police department and while I would not go exploring the area on foot, the hotel had proper security measures. Breakfast was a little slim pickings- I would've preferred real milk or cream instead of powdered creamer for the coffee but I'm a yogurt and an apple kind of person so it was fine for me. If you want bacon and eggs go to the eight thousand different cracker barrels within a stone's throw and spend the 7 dollars. Ashanti was my check in and check out receptionist and she was very very sweet and polite. The room was clean and has the same updates I've seen in other holiday inns, and I must commend them in general for improving their rooms. They are now on par with some of the more expensive hotels I've stayed at only they give you free wifi and parking. All I needed was a clean, safe room for the night and I was happy. Especially because it also had a flat screen tv and HBO so I didn't have to miss the Red Wedding episode of Game of Thrones!

• Stayed May 2013
Leo J, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
It is wonderful to hear you complement our GREAT STAFF. Each and every one of our team tries to make each guest’s stay a special one. I will pass this on to them. We look forward to being your home away from home again when you need accommodations in the Birmingham area.
Birmingham
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We have found this Holiday Inn to be a great place to stay and park when flying out of Birmingham on an early morning flight .Anyone dealing with trying to park or pick up someone at the airport knows it can sometimes be a nightmare. Since we live over an hour from the airport and we have a flight departing before 7AM that it is well worth spending the night here. The staff is great, the rooms are very well kept, and they take you to the airport and pick you up on your return. I have stayed there twice and will stay again. I have also recommended this option to other friends and several have done this as well and were glad they did.
Thanks to the great staff there.....we will be seeing you soon!!!

Room Tip: Get a king....really nice rooms
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here because my company's preferred hotel was booked. Good part is that it's close to the airport, but it's in a really bad area so I stayed in and ate at the hotel. Food was just ok. Price was decent. I probably won't stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank dennisg12345
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear dennisg12345,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the surrounding area of the hotel prevented you from fully enjoying your visit. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed May 8, 2013

The staff was great, but the property itself is NOT like a typical Holiday Inn. The stay and park option is nice. I would not come back for more than a "I have an early flight tomorrow" stay. I would not have meetings, vacation or try to relax here. If you are not picky and just need to stay near the airport for 1 night, then this is the place.

Room Tip: Restaurant may not be open for no apparent reason during posted hours. Try and stay away from the s...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Leo J, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you for your comments. It is wonderful to hear you compliment our Great staff. We are extremely proud that our staff tries so hard to give our guests the greatest service.
Langen
Reviewed May 1, 2013

If it wasn't for the fact we got this on a hotwire price, I would have rated it even worse.
The Service is good, and that is about it.
West side rooms are like 30 feet from the off ramp of I-20, and the windows are thin. We got the room changed to the east side of the hotel (with a little complaining and waiting), only to find that it is about 50 feet to the train tracks (with trains that run all night), The parking lot across the street seems to be a good place to go buy drugs, but the drive up window seems to be car window to car window if you know what I mean.
The good news is, between the Freeway, the trains, and cop cars, you can hardly hear those airplanes.
Breakfast was very sad. Again, good service, not not very tasty at all. I always thought there was suppose to be beef in that breakfast gravy. don´t look for it here. it isnt in there. Made my vegetarian wife happy though.
It the hotel directory it says there is a Red Lobster in the area. we searched for it, only to find it´s been gone for years.
I guess if you really need to be close to the Birmingham (Alabama) airport, you could use this place for a quick stop. But nothing more.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bill S
Leo J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
First let me thank you for taking the time to submit your comments. We appreciate all comments good or bad. Our guest’s comments show us where we need to make improvements. It is so nice to hear you compliment the service. We are very proud of our great service team who work very hard to take care of all of our guest. I am however confused by some of your comments. You mentioned train tracks being 50 ft. from the building but the nearest train tracks are several blocks away. You also mention the off ramp for I-20 but the sections or I-20 that goes by the hotel has been closed for some time now. We admit we are not in the ritzy area of Birmingham but few airport hotels are in high class areas as they need to be near the airport, but there is no drug problem in our area. There is a strong police presence as well as we have 24 hour security that would notify the police should any behaviors such as you described were to take place. There is a Red Lobster about 10 minutes from the hotel and there is also a closed Red Lobster in the area. If you would contact me (General Manager) and reference this review I will be more than happy to refund your breakfast charges. I am most upset to hear that your stay was not a pleasant experience and will also send you a letter that will authorize you to have a complimentary room, subject to availability, for a future visit to our area.

Shane Armstrong
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Comfort Inn Birmingham - Irondale
Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#46 of 79 in Birmingham
Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham Downtown - The Tutwiler
SpringHill Suites Birmingham Downtown at UAB
Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham East Irondale

Been to Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport? Share your experiences!