“Really bad experience with them”

Holiday Inn Birmingham-Airport
Ranked #55 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Bad customer services, and rude receptionists. Even the manager refused to talk to us and he had the receptionist call us back to address the complain which is originally about the same receptionist who called. They refused to give us a room with two beds blaming priceline that they have pushed a reservation for a king size bed which is not true, I verified that with priceline and they only make a reservation for two people for whatever is available whether king size or two beds. Although the hotel had rooms with two beds available, they refused to give us one and they were trying to make us get a second room. No greeting to the customers whatsoever, not even bothered to say "sorry, I can't do that" The receptionist kept answering with No, No, No... I can't help you... What kind of customer services say I can't help you, especially in a hotel.

1  Thank Amer N
Leo J, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel, I am truly sorry to hear that you had a bad stay with us. What happened is extremely unacceptable and has been addressed. This is not how our hotel wants to be represented, and I can’t apologize to you enough. I hope in the future you will give us another chance, as I will continue to follow up with my staff to ensure that these types of issues do not persist. I hope to see you again at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport!!!

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Birmingham-Airport

Reviewed April 19, 2013

I stayed here for one night while visiting family and had to pick my wife up from the airport. I was doubled charged for the stay and the Guest Service Manager stated that he would look into it and give me a call back.... Well I haven't received that call yet. I even told the receptionist that I had a reservation and she ended up giving me a room which I thought was for my reservation. But I was charged for a no show fee for my reservation and the receptionist place me in a room which was not my reservation. I had to go over the weekend with this issue not resolved until the following week.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Ninjairide
Leo J, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel, I am disappointed to hear that the problem you had with your bill was not taken care of sooner, but I have passed this information along and spoken with the proper department heads. We will make sure that this does not happen again. Thank you valued guest!!!

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Actually stayed at this property many times over the past few years...enjoyed a pleasant stay April 10-12 2013. This hotel is located about one mile from the airport, and four miles from downtown B'ham. The hood is a small bit intimidating but has nothing to do with anything related to the hotel. Clean, never had a problem with staff, reliable shuttle service, full service restaurant. Very convenient for motor travellers...right off interstate with Hardees Rest and "Kabob House" which is very tasty. Two(?) Shell service stations across the street for a quick gas and go. Parking was aok. I would stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Leo J, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Thank you so much for your recent review of our hotel. We really appreciate the feedback and positive things you had to say regarding your stay! We at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport work hard to ensure our guest feel at home and welcomed. And we have some great businesses around us that have those exact qualities. We look forward to you visiting us when you travel, and thank you for making HIBHM, your home away from home!

Reviewed April 12, 2013

I spent one night in this hotel because a cancelled flight left me stranded in Birmingham. I was offered the "distressed traver" rate by Southwest airlines. I called the hotel from the airport to ask about the shuttle and they said they'd "send the driver right over". I waited nearly 45 minutes, but the driver was friendly and helpful with bags etc.

I was checked into a room on the 3rd floor in an efficient and friendly manner. (The staff was this way throughout my stay) When I got off the elevator the staff was in the process of steam cleaning the carpets in the hallway. It smelled horribly musty and dank and unfortunately that smell did not disappate during my stay. I held my breath between my room and the elevator.

The air conditioner in the room was barely working and terribly loud. I was about to the complain about it when the head of maintenance arrived and asked me if it was working OK. It was like he had read my mind! He said that no one was to have been checked into the room until he was sure it was working. He was very helpful in getting me moved to a new room on the same floor. A/C was fine in this room. However, it's an older hotel and those wall mounted units are always loud. The room itself met my cleanliness standards except for the window frames which were really dirty. Television picture/reception was not great. WIFI signal was not
great.

Now for the neighborhood. It's not great either. I walked across the street to get some snacks from the Shell station and again to get a gyro at the Kabob House. Both places had security glass protecting the staff and I think that is a pretty good indication of how safe the neighborhood is. I didn't feel threatened in either establishment, but, I would not have felt comfortable going out to get anything after dark. (The gyro was good.)

I ordered some food from the restaurant, LaCatrina and spent some time at the bar. I'll review LaCatrina separately because it is not operated by the hotel. However, I will say that I was not impressed with the food. That is why I went across the street to get a gyro.

If stranded in BHAM again I will forgo the "distressed traveler" discount and find another property in a better neighborhood.

1  Thank CynthaDelTorro

First of all I would like to start by apologizing that your stay with us was not an enjoyable one. This is certainly not normal for our establishment nor acceptable. I have passed this information along to every member of the executive team and we will make sure that these types of issues are rectified. I hope that you would stay with us again in the future, and I can assure you that a better experience will be waiting on you. We strive to give our guest the best service possible, and appreciate any type of feedback we get from our most valued guest like you.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Very nice rooms, helpful staff. Our room was clean, king size bed, very comfortable and quiet. Close to the airport for those early morning flights. Would stay again. Close to many other attractions as well.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. We strive to give our valued guest like you excellent customer service and clean, fresh rooms. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!!

Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed at this hotel because we had been on the road for 13 hours and we were exhausted, but now I wish we would have just driven 20 more minutes down the road to a nicer neighborhood and nicer hotel. The hotel is located in a frightening neighborhood, we were actually asked for money by several panhandlers. The room was dirty and musty. I didn't even want to sleep there, but like I said we were exhausted and needed to rest. We were in a non smoking room, but the entire placed reeked of smoke. I have never been so happy to leave a hotel. I will not be staying there ever again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Pink_footballs

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel, I am truly disappointed that your stay with us was undesirable. I can say that the neighborhood that surrounds us is a middle class area, as most airport hotel areas are. We are not represented by the neighborhood because we do not promote some of the negative things that you witnessed outside of our property. I truly apologize for what happened but we always have security and police officers at our hotel and we are very safe. Our wonderful housekeeping staff strives to maintain fresh, clean, and updated rooms for our guest and I will ensure that this is continuing to happen. I hope when you visit our beautiful city again, you will give the Holiday Inn airport another chance!!!

Reviewed April 5, 2013

I was surprised by the relatively by the better quality of this Holiday Inn compared to many others. This is right by the airport but there was not noise. Big lobby, a Mexican restaurant that we did not try, a big parking lot. Clean rooms and helpful staff.

If you have time, go to the Ruffner Mountain Nature Center nearby for some good relaxation, a nice walk on the numerous trails. Very convenient even to go to downtown and other restaurants. Not much of a drive.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Comfort Inn Birmingham - Irondale
Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham East Irondale
Days Inn Fultondale
Days Inn Fultondale
#1 of 8 in Fultondale

Been to Holiday Inn Birmingham-Airport? Share your experiences!