“could be better”

Holiday Inn Birmingham-Airport
Ranked #55 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I have to say that it is different. My room was outdated but cozy. I really didn't like the fact that there is a very limited array of channels to choose from that is why i was so happy they had a bar! Very stylish and kinda changed my thought of the hotel. I ordered a salad although they had Mexican food..it was good but i wanted something more. so I got the cheesedip with beef and wow!! it was really delicious and an awsome campanion to my drink. very friendly and helpful staff at the restaurant I think every employee checked on me to make sure I didnt need anything! getting a good nights rest is another story, i guess i must have been to close to the hwy or something because you could hear all the traffic...anyway if you do come here hit the bar and bring some ear plugs!

Room Tip: away from hwys
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Dear rosemary g,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel. I appreciate and wish to thank you for the kind words for our staff. On the other hand, please accept our sincerest apologies for the condition of the room and for the noise that you have experienced. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Birmingham-Airport

Reviewed February 14, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times in the last 2 years. The rooms are comfortable and spacious. The service is very good.

They do have issues with the door locks. One time I was locked out as they tried to get the door open with a special device. It took several attempts and calls to the General Manager to get me in to get my stuff at 2 am. I have had the keys not work and the deadbolts tend to remain out (for security when you close the door) but it is a real hassle to be able to shut the door on the outside of the room!

About half of the time the heaters don't work properly - controls won't regulate the heat properly.

Although they have moved me to different rooms each time I have had an issue, I would think they would invest some money to fix the hotel.

Do not go to breakfast. It is not free (no problem) but the food is just room temperature even with Sterno cans under them (I think they bring the food out cold and let the Sterno heat it?) The coffee is also just luke warm. After a couple of meals like this, I now drive to get breakfast (nothing really near by).

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank WChamplin
Leo J, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

I am deeply sorry about the issues that you faced while visiting our hotel. These problems concerned me and were immediately brought to the attention of our maintenance department. We know that positive feedback is good, as well as the negative. This lock problem has been corrected and I have confidence in my team to stay on top of these issues in the future. We hope that when you visit beautiful Birmingham in the future, you will think of our hotel as we make positive moves for the future!!!

Reviewed February 13, 2013

I booked this hotel on Priceline sorta last minute and needed a hotel near the Interstate. The hotel itself isn't that bad and the room is okay if you overlook the window that has large gaps around the frame. The window let in all the road traffic plus the room never got warm. And this was on the eighth floor. Typical Priceline room so I accepted it. Two major problems with this hotel: the neighborhood and no place to eat . The neighborhood is worse than a slum. I drove around looking for a place to eat(in daylight) and I couldn't believe how bad the residences looked. I got gas at the gas station/24 hour liquor/drug dealer hangout, and the customers all looked rough(except me) I did not see any security guards at the hotel either inside or out, and there were numerous signs posted around the parking lot saying the hotel wasn't responsible for what happened to your car. Anyone could drive into the parking lot so I'm not sure why these other reviewer thought their vehicle was safe. No, nothing happened to my car, but to say I wasn't worried would be an understatement. Customer service was okay; you would never mistake this hotel for a Hyatt. If I were to go through Birmingham again, I'd look at the hotels off I259 near the restaurant where I ended up eating dinner. There's a big mall with lots of eating options and newer hotels

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank oldgoat1
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Dear oldgoat1,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Guest comfort and safety are of the utmost concern to us and our hotels are committed to making every possible effort to provide a secure environment. I am deeply sorry to hear that your experience with us was negatively affected by our hotel location. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. Your comments are being reviewed by the hotel's management and appropriate action will be taken.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed January 18, 2013

I was here for one night waiting for a early morning flight. I didn't have a reservation and was happy they had a room available. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was clean and modern. I read the other reviews about the neighborhood but I didn't have a need to be walking around outside so it wasn't a problem plus there was a guard on duty. I had a very early flight and the free hotel airport shuttle took me with no problem. Free wireless, a bar for drinkers... Warm and friendly place.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank LMs2Cents
Leo J, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport!!! I am pleased to hear that your stay was pleasant!! We work hard to ensure that our guest are happy and treated with the best customer service. Thanks for your comment

Reviewed January 2, 2013

I was here for a business trip over New Year's Eve, but the night before I was watching TV as I fell asleep and saw a bug crawling across the screen. I couldn't make it out from the silhouette, and knew the 4th floor room was essentially a clean room, so I wasn't worried it was anything that wanted to bite me. it wasn't until the next morning that I saw a lady bug on the bath room wall that it must have been what I saw on the TV the night before.

Weird? Yes. Bothersome? No.

What did bother me, the first morning of my two night stay, was a very slow shower drain. I mentioned to the front desk on my way out that day, and by the next morning it was fixed and draining nicely.

I certainly liked the shower head, which was high on the wall and had good flow.

I see someone else wrote in their review that they were bothered by the noise, but I must say this was a pretty quiet room considering it was by an airport and the Interstate. I really didn't hear either even once.

The breakfast was not included, and I must say it was not quite worth the eight bucks they charged for it, though the hotel service staff at the breakfast was quite responsive (but only about 4 people were eating when we were).

Last thing was that the breakfast was closed on New Year's Day. That seemed off, for a hotel.

The bar too was closed when we got back to the hotel about 1a on New Year's Eve That too seemed a little weird.

Good bed. Good desk. Fridge in room and coffee maker (though I don't drink coffee), so it was a good room for this level hotel. I'd go back to stay again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank David T

We also appreciate your feedback and we are trying our best to ensure these incidents do not occur again. We appreciate you making Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport your home away from home!!!

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Rooms were clean and modern. Toilet flushed loudly for about two minutes which was annoying. Tv was low definition. Mini fridge was great. Service at check in wasn't great. Location is in a bad part of town but I always saw armed security so that was nice. It's right next to the interstate so it's loud but for the price it's not bad

• Stayed: December 2012

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn B'ham Airport !!! I am pleased that you had a good experience at our hotel. If you stay with our hotel now, you will find that we have hi-def tv's installed!!!
Our maintenence department has already taken care of the flushing issue and we thank you for reporting this to us, Guest feedback is very important to us!!

Reviewed December 27, 2012

Upon checking in the front desk clerk was too "involved" in a cell phone call to properly greet me. We checked in and the room was adequate and seemed clean although it smelled a bit musty which my Husband attributed to the fact the AC had not been turned on. The next morning we left around 9 a,m. to spend a day visiting with friends and family and returned to the hotel after 5 p.m. to find that our room door had been left open by housekeeping. We had no idea how long the room had been unsecured and since this hotel is not in a great part of town anyone could have come into the room without any question as their is public access to the elevators without question. I called down to the front desk to alert them of the issue and was lamblasted by the clerk who questioned us leaving the door open even though housekeeping had serviced the room AFTER we left. Needless to say we were moved to another room but NEVER felt safe in the hotel after that.

Room Tip: This hotel is located very close to the airport but as soon as you exit the freeway you can tell thi...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Lori K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Comfort Inn Birmingham - Irondale
Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham East Irondale
Days Inn Fultondale
Days Inn Fultondale
#1 of 8 in Fultondale

Been to Holiday Inn Birmingham-Airport? Share your experiences!