“Run, don't walk”

Ranked #57 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Richmond, Virginia
“Run, don't walk”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2012

We chose this hotel because it was not far from the Civic Center and it seemed to be a good value. The front desk clerk was pleasant and said "no problem" when I asked for a room in a quiet area. I went up to my room, opened the door, and was greeted by the roar of the Interstate highway which runs a short block from the property. I went back down and requested a room on the other side of the hotel and they obliged without hesitation. The room was fine, noise-wise. Carpet was worn and had some suspicious stains. I had reserved a second room for family members, and had prepaid both. Upon checkout, the clerk could not find evidence of the prepay for the second room, and although I pulled up my bank account on my laptop and showed him that the Holiday Inn had deducted the cost of both rooms (in separate transactions, no less), he tried to make me pay again. After an hour of "I don't have access to accounting," I left without the matter being resolved. Ultimately the HI DID find the prepay info and I was not charged a second time. Perhaps worst of all is the breakfast buffet which is staffed by individuals who look like they'd rather be anywhere but in the restaurant. The pans of food were more often empty than full. Service was horrible. Location is in a run-down area. Will never return to this hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank ladyrev484
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manger at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
Dear ladyrev484,

Thank you for leaving us a review. Your feedback is very important to us. I am sorry about the miscommunication of your prepaid bill. I am happy to hear that was resolved. Your comments about the service in the restaurant will be shared.

Thanks again,

IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Aurora, Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2012

We chose Holiday Inn in Birmingham because we were able to redeem Priority Points at this location. My daughter and I checked in about 8:30pm. The desk help was busy on the phone when we arrived so it took them a while to help us. We were given room 506. When we opened the door to our room, it was bolted from the inside.... a baby was crying and I'm sure we frightened the family we almost walked in on. We went back downstairs to request a room without people in it. The staff was surprised that the room was occupied. We were given room 419. The bathroom toilet shot water out the top/side of it when flushed, so we had a mess to clean up. Otherwise, the room was clean. We just didn't feel safe. We were hungry and (fortunately) drove our car across the street to the Hardees. Upon exiting our car, we were hit up by a homeless man wanting money. On our way out of Hardee's we were hit up by two more homeless men. We made it through the night and left around 4:30 am. Won't be staying again on the way home. Yikes!

Room Tip: Find another hotel in a different location. Bad section of town.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Winona B
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, April 4, 2012
Dear Winona B,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns.
I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced at our hotel. I assure you that the safety of our guests is of utmost concern to us. I would like to discuss this further with you. I have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2012

I always use Marriott, but tried Holiday Inn because of the free parking and airport shuttle. The value considering the parking was OK, but we couldn't sleep! The air conditioner unit was so loud that I felt like I only slept a few hours. On top of that they don't even offer coffee for early risers. I think the cafe opened at 8 AM, which did us no good trying to catch a 630 AM flight. I rechecked the website and it doesn't say anything about no coffee. Granted, they do have coffee makers in the rooms, but those small, filter bags are terrible. I won't do the Holiday Inn thing again.

Room Tip: Go to a Marriott.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Bigfoot1981
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
Bigfoot1981,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ben J
IHG Care
BeachLizard_MD
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2012

We stayed her only because we were catching a flight very early in the morning. It met our needs, but we'd have to think long and hard about staying here again. We arrived in the evening, bought dinner in the hotel restaurant and brought it back to our room. Left the hotel at 5:45 in the morning.

The good: it's about 90 seconds from the airport; the shuttle runs every 20 minutes.

The not-so-good: Disinterested, unhelpful desk clerk at our 5:20 am checkout; we were an inconvenience to the waitress that would have rather continued visiting with the businessmen at the bar than take our to-go order; the tub that drained very, very slowly after a quick shower.

This place is very old. Some of it has been updated but its age (and in some cases the grime) still shows through.

One tip... If you have to catch an early flight and have no other alternatives but to stay here, ask for a room on something higher than the second floor. When I went up to the third floor for ice (no ice machine on the second floor) it was clearly cleaner and more recently updated than ours.

Room Tip: Third floor or higher.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank BeachLizard_MD
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
Dear BeachLizard_MD,

I am very sorry for the issues you had with the service you received. I understand your stay was not 100 % but I do hope you can stay with us again.

Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

The only bad thing about this hotel was the noise. The walls/doors/windows are not incredibly thick so we could hear people talking in the hallways and cars zooming by on the nearby highway. The fridge in our room also made quite a bit of noise.

Everything else was great. We got a great rate on priceline. The location was perfectly situated right next to the airport. The main level's hardwood floor is beautiful and the bar and restaurant are terrific. Staff were friendly. I would stay again and I would reccommend this hotel to anyone needing accommodations near the airport.

• Stayed February 2012
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

The hotel is clean as well as was my room. The new restaurant has some excellent food, try a frozen margarita with it. It seems someone used my room number to pay for their dinner at the bar, but the staff at the front desk was so helpful and kindly removed the charges from my bill! Do not venture out at night.

• Stayed February 2012
Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

Recently stayed at this Holiday Inn location on a weekend getaway for a play at the BJCC arena. The Sheraton at BJCC was booked so we picked this one for its close location to the BJCC. This hotel is in an older unattractive area of Birmingham which most are that are close to airports. However, once inside the hotel, the accomodations very adequate. Hotel also has a restaurant inside which is convenient for something fast.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Comfort Inn Birmingham - Irondale
SpringHill Suites Birmingham Downtown at UAB
Sheraton Birmingham
Sheraton Birmingham
#33 of 79 in Birmingham

Been to Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport? Share your experiences!