“So-So”

Ranked #36 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Waco, Texas
“So-So”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Very difficult to find hotel when coming from I-65 south. Finally, a very courteous policeman said "follow me or you'll never find it." Had to ask for housekeeping to clean room re-supply towels etc on our 2nd day. Internet connections was complicated; finally had to call HELP desk. Front desk lady, Janine, was very helpful with all requests. Breakfast was plentiful & tasty. Room was spacious & bed/mattress was ideal.

Room Tip: We chose closer to elevator, given the choice, and it was ideal.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Lisa S, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Birmingham, responded to this review, April 6, 2015
Than you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to share your experience with us. We take every comment and share with our team.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

We arrived earlier then expected from the East Coast forgetting about the time change to Central. They had a room available and got us checked right in. Smoking or non-smoking? Non-smoking I tell him, they send us to the 3rd floor room and was clearly a smoking room, ashtray on the table, etc. Went back down and same guy fixed us right up with new non smoking room. Had lunch in the Ruth Chris restaurant looking a little disheveled from out 6 hour drive but they took us right in. The Bajou Cheesesteak was awesome! Rested for a bit while hubby and son went to the indoor pool and hot tub. It's an indoor pool but not heated. So far it's been good. We'll see after we sleep. They say there is a free cooked to order breakfast starting at 7:30am. The place has been nice so far! Well that was until 5:30am when the loudest alarm went off saying stand-by a life saving device has gone off and a constant siren for over 5 solid minutes. Of course no one would answer the phone at the front desk! WTH?

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I hope that you have stayed with us since if your travels brought you back to Birmingham.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Very friendly staff and a nice looking place. I was not happy with the cleanliness of the atrium area and the stairways. Room seemed clean but did ot smell very good. It was OK but would have been nice, if better maintained.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Satsuma, Alabama
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We always stay at the Embassy Suites in Birmingham AL. I am terribly disappointed in our last stay. The bed was like sleeping on a brick wall. I woke up with horrible back pains whereby, I had to find a local chiropractor. I have never slept on such a horrid bed in my life! Also, the telephone in our room did not work. Breakfast was also terrible. The power went out around 6 o'clock that morning. So the staff did not have breakfast ready until 9:30. They made runny scrambled eggs and bacon only. No potatoes, oatmeal, omelets, or waffles. There was no milk for cereal and the fountain soda machine was out of order as well. The staff stood around and did not clean the tables or replenish the food (which wasn't that much). I had to ask for a table to be cleared off so I could have a seat. This hotel has gone downhill! I'm not sure if this hotel is under new management or if this is now a new (we don't care) policy. But this doesn't work for me! Being as I was asked to show my government badge, I would have thought that the service would have been a bit better, since I work for the county health department. Apparently I was incorrect. Speaking of county health department, the ice machine on the 4th floor is moldy, the bags for the ice buckets are sticky (probably from a spilled coke on the housekeeper's cart), and the breakfast eggs were held at the wrong temperature (barely warm). I was not there to do an inspection on this hotel, which was a really good thing for them! Save your money. If you plan on staying here, factor in a Chiropractic bill and time off from work due to food poisoning.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a good mattress instead of the brick beds.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Jessica C

Duluth, Georgia
Reviewed March 20, 2013

The hotel is average. The service was great, but the couches were dirty and out of date, the hotel can really use an upgrade in that area. If you are there for a sporting event during the weekend, please ensure that you let Management know so they can adjust the breakfast schedule. We were there for the AAU track and field as there were hundreds of other athletes. We had to be at the sporting events at 7am and breakfast did not start until 7:30am. They would not serve us breakfast on Saturday and Sunday. I politely left a message with the front desk receptionist for the Manager asking to adjust the schedule for Sunday and they did not alter the schedule for the athletes. Be sure to check their breakfast time before staying here for any sporting events.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I have stayed here before and always had a good stay. The problem with this stay was the horrible hum that went off every 30-45 minutes while we were trying to sleep. I have no idea what it was or where it came from I just know it made it very difficult to sleep. But as always the staff was great, I will stay again just not on the top floor.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Covington, Louisiana
Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

As a Hilton gold member and someone who travels 26 weeks/year, I was totally disappointed in my room. The furniture was old, cracked, and dirty. The sink in the bathroom is cracked, and the marble behind the sink is crumbled and cracking. The room smells musty, I can hear my neighbors entire conversation, and all of the traffic outside...its 10pm and tons of sirens :(. There are way too many options for Birmingham hotels in this part of town. I won't be back.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Tgrbait
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to share your experience with us. We take every comment and share with our team.

Front Office Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Embassy Suites by Hilton Birmingham-Hoover
Hampton Inn Birmingham / Mountain Brook
Doubletree Hotel Birmingham
Doubletree Hotel Birmingham
#31 of 79 in Birmingham
Residence Inn Birmingham Downtown at UAB
The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB
aloft Birmingham Soho Square

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Birmingham? Share your experiences!