“Health Inspector disappointed”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Birmingham
Ranked #37 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We always stay at the Embassy Suites in Birmingham AL. I am terribly disappointed in our last stay. The bed was like sleeping on a brick wall. I woke up with horrible back pains whereby, I had to find a local chiropractor. I have never slept on such a horrid bed in my life! Also, the telephone in our room did not work. Breakfast was also terrible. The power went out around 6 o'clock that morning. So the staff did not have breakfast ready until 9:30. They made runny scrambled eggs and bacon only. No potatoes, oatmeal, omelets, or waffles. There was no milk for cereal and the fountain soda machine was out of order as well. The staff stood around and did not clean the tables or replenish the food (which wasn't that much). I had to ask for a table to be cleared off so I could have a seat. This hotel has gone downhill! I'm not sure if this hotel is under new management or if this is now a new (we don't care) policy. But this doesn't work for me! Being as I was asked to show my government badge, I would have thought that the service would have been a bit better, since I work for the county health department. Apparently I was incorrect. Speaking of county health department, the ice machine on the 4th floor is moldy, the bags for the ice buckets are sticky (probably from a spilled coke on the housekeeper's cart), and the breakfast eggs were held at the wrong temperature (barely warm). I was not there to do an inspection on this hotel, which was a really good thing for them! Save your money. If you plan on staying here, factor in a Chiropractic bill and time off from work due to food poisoning.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a good mattress instead of the brick beds.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Jessica C
Lisa S, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2015

Than you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to share your experience with us. We take every comment and share with our team.

Front Office Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,198)

Reviewed March 20, 2013

The hotel is average. The service was great, but the couches were dirty and out of date, the hotel can really use an upgrade in that area. If you are there for a sporting event during the weekend, please ensure that you let Management know so they can adjust the breakfast schedule. We were there for the AAU track and field as there were hundreds of other athletes. We had to be at the sporting events at 7am and breakfast did not start until 7:30am. They would not serve us breakfast on Saturday and Sunday. I politely left a message with the front desk receptionist for the Manager asking to adjust the schedule for Sunday and they did not alter the schedule for the athletes. Be sure to check their breakfast time before staying here for any sporting events.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I have stayed here before and always had a good stay. The problem with this stay was the horrible hum that went off every 30-45 minutes while we were trying to sleep. I have no idea what it was or where it came from I just know it made it very difficult to sleep. But as always the staff was great, I will stay again just not on the top floor.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I hope that you have stayed with us since if your travels brought you back to Birmingham.

Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

As a Hilton gold member and someone who travels 26 weeks/year, I was totally disappointed in my room. The furniture was old, cracked, and dirty. The sink in the bathroom is cracked, and the marble behind the sink is crumbled and cracking. The room smells musty, I can hear my neighbors entire conversation, and all of the traffic outside...its 10pm and tons of sirens :(. There are way too many options for Birmingham hotels in this part of town. I won't be back.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Tgrbait

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to share your experience with us. We take every comment and share with our team.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

I usually have a good experience when I stay with this chain. However, at this particular location my experience was less than acceptable. The front desk staff was very friendly. However, when we initially arrived we were told that there were no rooms available. I made a reservation and paid in advance in an effort to avoid this. After a short while the room became available, but was a smoker's room and there was a stale odor. I reserved a NON-smoking room. After the long drive from out of town, I did not have the energy for a debate.

Additionally, the atrium area was not clean, the floors and the tables were sticky. After attending the "manager's reception" I did not return for the complimentary breakfast due to the cleanliness issue. I ended up cleaning my room myself, as the housekeeping department never did answer the phone. Apparently, there was a rush to clean the room. The bathroom mirror was full of leftover toothpaste spittle and the bathtub was dingy. We requested an extra blanket and it was DRY ROTTED. It began to crumble in the bed! I was told several times by staff that they had a "full house". If you are in the hospitality industry you should be able to accommodate a "full house". I will not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Ursula W

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Traveling with two senior citizens. This location was in a nice area and we felt very safe. Rooms were clean. A great selection for breakfast. Accommodated requested rooms next to each other. Booked rooms for return trip. We would highly recommend.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed February 26, 2013

First impression of the hotel was wonderful. The lobby is nice. The front desk quickly changed that. My 8 yr old asked me why that lady was in such a bad mood. Scary when the kids notice, right?
The rooms are convenient for families (as with any Embassy lay-out). However, there was mold on the ceiling in our bathroom and the moldy smell was overwhelming in the bathroom. Thankfully, there was a sink outside the bathroom to use. We stayed 2 nights. The first night was a Saturday and the place was a mad-house. I can appreciate the fact that there was an event at the hotel and that there were two competitions in the city. We attended one of those. We chose Embassy because of the "full service" aspect. Our schedule was crazy and we needed to be able to eat late if necessary. We arrived at 6:15pm on a Saturday. Room service NEVER picked up the phone. Front desk explained they were "busy". I am calling that code for understaffed. We attempted to have the shuttle take us to the mall 2 miles away. We were told the odds of that were not good because they were taking all of the drunk adults in the lobby to a concert. Plan C was to take 2 cars to dinner. We should have started with that.
We were gone the entire day Sunday to a competition. The children were exhausted and tired so we did not stop to eat on the way back to the hotel. We thought we would just get room service, WRONG! They NEVER picked up the phone again. I called the front desk. We were told they closed early at 10pm instead of 11pm that night for maintenance. No signs were posted anywhere about that. Same thing with Ruth's Chris. They closed early. I ended up feeding my 8yr old a frozen dinner from the lobby shop at 11:30pm. Not what I would call a full service hotel.
Monday morning I witnessed the breakfast buffet employee shut everything down with people in line. That was at 9:00am sharp. He told them they were closing and couldnt help them. Keep in mind that food would just have to be thrown out...REALLY???? RUDE RUDE RUDE! We will not be back to that hotel. We love Embassy Suites, but will not pay extra for that on our next trip to Birmingham.

Room Tip: High floors facing expressway were noisy. Corner suites were large.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business