“Needs some serious TLC”

Ranked #36 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Birmingham
“Needs some serious TLC”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

This was our first time here so here is my take:
Pros - Location - close to great restaurants and shopping, large size of suite with separate bedroom is good, comfort of bed was okay (a little sagging in the middle), nice wet bar area with fridge and microwave.....cookies & milk ordered from room service were yummy....and having Ruth's Chris bar in the lobby for some nibbles and cocktails was a plus.

CONS - While the lobby area is clean and "spruced up" - the indoor pool area was horrendous - the hot tub was out of order, there were huge chunks of plaster and paint missing from the ceiling, the poolside deck itself needed a thorough cleaning (just general dirt, etc). Towels were supposed to be provided poolside but it took two trips to the front desk to get any in place by the pool. The rooms are okay - furniture was frayed (think tears in the arms of the sleeper sofa), lighting was too dark in the living room area, just in general not what I was expecting.....

Overall, this would not be my first choice - and as other posters have said - I think this hotel attracts large groups - and once they arrive - WOW things can get crowded and noisy in a hurry!!! If you are looking for romance - this is definitely not the place.....

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Lisa S, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Birmingham, responded to this review, April 6, 2015
Than you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to share your experience with us. We take every comment and share with our team.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Little Rock, AR
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We love staying at Embassy Suites and are Honors members because of it, but this hotel disappointed us. Our room was on the 8th floor and when we walked in, the living room furniture was pushed together and a garbage can and ice bucket had water in them from a large leak in the ceiling. There was a white chalky mess on the chair from where the ceiling had been peeling back. (We had heard that a large storm had come through the night before). There was a letter on the counter with a candy bar , chips and 2 water bottles stating we had ordered them as part of our stay's package. It was addressed to someone else. We called the front desk about the leak and they quickly sent someone up to the room to help us move into a bigger room with 2 bedrooms, which was very gracious of them.
That room had a big conference type table, but a lot of the furniture and caninets were pretty banged up- scrapes all over them. The walls too. It just looked like it was in need of some serious repairs. The mini fridge wasn't working and there was a bag of defrosted frozen broccoli in there. Everything else did seem clean.
We always look forward to the breakfasts at Embassy Suites hotels, but this one did seem very well stocked. Wet donuts from being frozen, I guess. No napkins, no ice for drinks, ran out of knives, lots of empty trays. Not much staff around there. Only one guy making omlets- he got mine wrong, but he was pretty busy. The eating area was messy.
We just weren't impressed with this one.

• Stayed July 2012

Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I stayed here on a Friday night with my family and it took 2 phone calls just to get towels and coffee in our room. I was very disappointed to find that the presence of a large family reunion made it nearly impossible to get an adequate breakfast. They were serving 1/4 of a normal waffle on styrofoam plates and "quick washing" the utensils such that they were still dirty. There were no clean coffee cups and no tables to sit at, so we ended up in our rooms eating cold food with our fingers.

Since I'd paid extra to stay at ES (vs Hyatt Place or a similar chain) AND because I was concerned about the health risks associated with the practices in the dining area, I called the manager. Josh was VERY professional and attentive to all my concerns. He made amends to the issues I'd faced and even gave me his number to call prior to any future stay to confirm that I'd have a flawless visit.

I know every hotel has busy times and can be short staffed, but I'd be hesitant to give this hotel another chance (despite its GREAT location near Mountain Brook and Homewood) if it hadn't been for Josh and his superior customer service.

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I had to bring my daughter to Alabama to visit a friend and I decided to stay in Birmingham so that I could vissit my mother's birthplace in nearby Vincent/ Alabaster and as I always I choose to stay at Embassy Suites because of the beautiful aestetics and courteous staff. I visited the Civil Rights Institute which was a life-changing event. This stay was no diffierent!! I absolutely fell in love with this location!! The staff was polite and courteous before my trip began. They actually called me in preparation of the trip. How great is that. The management was awesome, the staff was polite, the amenities were accessible, clean, and organized well. The staff was concerned about me and my family at every turn. When I return to the 'Ham' I will definatey stay at this location. This is a class locatation that as a Hilton Honors Rewards member, I HIGHLY recommend!!!!

1 Thank Terry E

Reviewed July 25, 2012

My son and I stayed at the Embassy Suites Birmingham last night and had a wonderful time. The staff at check-in was excellent and was very helpful with directions back to the interstate and with recommending the Ruth Chris restaurant. Also I was greeted by all staff members with a wonderful smile and how are you. I will defiantly stay at this hotel again.

1 Thank James M
Lisa S, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Birmingham, responded to this review, November 20, 2014
Mr. Rick,

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments regarding your recent stay with us. We look forward to seeing you and your son again when in Birmingham!

Reviewed July 19, 2012

We needed a hotel at the last minute and we couldn't of chosen a better place. Customer service was excellent and the breakfast was delicious. We'll always stay here when traveling to Birmingham.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Charris1
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We take all comments and share with the team.

Front Office Manger
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Our corner suite has a musty smell like there was a beer spill that never got cleaned. Our door key never worked right and it took hours to get it fixed - sort of. We ended up with only 1 working key. Our room did not get cleaned and we were left a bogus note saying that a do not disturb was on the door (I had moved the door hanger onto the desk shortly after checking in because it had fallen in the floor). The front desk clerk got snippy with me after I complained that the room had not been cleaned - but called the room later to offer a partial discount. The managers reception and breakfast were totally understaffed. I waited in line over 30 minutes for an omelet and the dining area looked like a bomb went off. I bussed my own table to have a clean place to sit. Also made coffee since none of the staff had bothered to do it. Will not go back or recommend it to anyone. Friends that stayed at the Hilton Garden inn the same weekend had a much better stay for less money. Forgot to mention the dumpster getting emptied at 6am just outside our room.

Room Tip: pick a different hotel