“Elegant - downtown - pricey”
Review of Cafe Dupont

Cafe Dupont
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Dupont is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 942 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Birmingham -Alabama
“Elegant - downtown - pricey”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I ate at this property this afternoon, as a scounting trip for my church group. I had the pork tenderloin ($18.00), 2 (two) glasses of charnonnay (Macon - $12.00), and the apple cake ($9.00) for dessert. This white-table cloth property is aimed at the downtown financial/business cliente, on an expense account. The wait staff (Donald) was attentive, and the staff seemed interested if I was having a good experience. The property is available fo catering. I was impressed with everything, and I made reservation for my church group for next month.

• Visited January 2013

“Simply amazing”
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

One of my favorite meals I've ever had. We had the chef's tasting and everything, I mean everything, was absolutely fantastic. Our server was super helpful and accommodating. Just simply a fantastic restaurant for a special occasion.

Vicksburg MS
“excellent food in downtown makeover”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

The setting is a little more formal than the atmosphere, i.e., it looks like a coat and tie place(and is for some), but I was comfortable in jeans and a nice shirt. It is actually a very nice re-do/conversion of a space downtown, the entry room a bar and then a step up through doors into dining room. The food is imaginative and delicious. We split an organic greens salad and then the pork roulades appetizer, which had the most remarkable combination of tastes and was a huge hit. My wife had the rabbit entree and I had the butter braised sea bass; both were delicious, but hers was the hands-down winner. It is a dish not to be missed! We finished with a not-so-special dessert and too-cool cappucinos, but that did little to diminish our experience. Our waiter was pleasant and competent and service was flawless. Entrees are generally in the upper $20's, topping out with the sea bass at $34. We did also have a very good bottle of red wine at a reasonable price point.

• Visited January 2013
Birmingham
“Another wonderful meal!”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We try to get by Cafe Dupont at least once a month - and to date we have not been disappointed with any selection. Yes the bar area and restaurant are dark - but lit with candelight and dim lights that add an air of romance and intimacy that is hard to come by in Bham. We sat at the bar (even though we had table reservations) - and service was great. For New Year's Eve that was a price fixe menu - choices were a variety of usual and not so usual meats and pairings - the marinated crab claws were spectacular - if only they had been offered as an entree and not an app....
If you have the time and $$$ - suggest the Tasting Menu option - it is a wonderful way to get a taste of the Chef's best dishes. Be sure to have a finely crafted cocktail - the bartenders are great at what they do.
Only potential drawback may be the valet parking as the only "easy" option - but for us that is not a big deal. This place is great for for couples and adults - usually very quiet and relaxed - can't recall ever having seen small children dining - but I'm sure they would be just as accommodating for families with younger diners!!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank accurate_one
New York
“Cold and Formal Ambience”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The food here is expensive but good, though not as good as at Birmingham's best restaurants, such as Bottega, Highlands or Hot and Hot. There are two dining rooms, one where the bar is located, which is dark and forbidding, and the other to the right, which is somewhat brighter but still rather stiff. It struck me as a good place for quiet conversation among the wealthy elderly. The same owners also own Mix, which is a combination bakery/cafe that's absolutely outstanding! Some of the airiness and welcoming environment of Mix would help improve Cafe Dupont.

Visited December 2012