“We'll return - had a quiet peaceful stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cobb Lane Bed & Breakfast

Cobb Lane Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 13 Birmingham B&B and Inns
Covington, GA
“We'll return - had a quiet peaceful stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2011

It was just what we wanted - quiet and peaceful. When we arrived I had a full blown cold and all I wanted to do was be left alone and sleep. I know there were other guests but I never heard them coming and going. Ira was charming at breakfast and we enjoyed meeting the other guests. If we have another chance to overnight in Birmingham will certainly book at room.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank JanG985
Sheilachaffin, Owner at Cobb Lane Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, November 28, 2011
We really appreciate our guests, whether they wish a quiet stay or to go out sight-seeing. We'll look forward to seeing you again on your next visit. Thank you for coming!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2011

My husband and I took a motorcycle trip this summer and decided to stay in several B&B's along the way. We arrived in Birmingham, AL after a long, very hot ride to arrive at the Cobb Lane B&B tucked into a pretty neighborhood up on the hill! Our room was well appointed and the a/c was wonderful! Breakfast was my favorite part as all of the guests met in the formal dining room downstairs and Ira (the proprieter) dined with us. The breakfast was top notch, fresh fruit, a wonderful pancake filled with apples and topped with whipped cream, eggs and bacon! Talk about a great way to start the day. It was such fun to chat with the other guests. I would highly recommend a visit to this B&B!

Room Tip: Paradise Room - clean and quiet
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank marebare1960
The Inn is a 20 minutes drive from Barber Motor Sports Race Course and about 50 minutes from Talladega Motor Speedway. Guests enjoy both of these national stature offerings. Canadian and Europeans guests also enjoy these very special venues. We enjoy hearing experiences from "the circuit" and from those who actually race. Thank you for finding us!
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

We stayed 2 nights at the Cobb Lane B&B and had high expectations from previous reviews and their website. Our room was the Rose room on the first floor and we didn't realize it would be right in front of the dining room which wasn't ideal. To top that off, it had 2 large pocket doors that joined in the middle as an entrance, and they did not close all the way which left about a half inch gap all the way up so the doors were "open" to the whole ground floor. The owner had put a giant curtain on the inside of the room to try and address this it seems, but no privacy was possible even with this curtain. Anybody in the dining room or walking around could hear everything going on in our room and see in if the curtain wasn't drawn. So much for a romantic anniversary weekend! The room was nice looking and had some definite charm but the bathroom fixtures were old and not very nice. Also there were a lot of "breakables" scattered around the room which made it difficult to use the furniture and the electrical was scary! The bedside lamp plug actually sparked and almost burned us when we plugged it in! The breakfast left much to be desired, a plate of cold eggs and bacon or sausage with a little fruit and a bread item. Cookies were definitely from a mix and nothing felt "homemade." The price per night was pretty cheap and I guess you get what you pay for. Overall a really disappointing experience.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank J K
Sheilachaffin, Owner at Cobb Lane Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, August 23, 2011
We appreciate all of our guests who come to our National HIstoric Registered property. Their patronage helps keep alive this National asset for the next generation. We pleasantly remember these guests who enjoyed home made pumpkin scones, fresh grown locally fruits, eggs, sausage, bacon, and home made sausage croissant bake. Each day we had homemade chocolate chip, swedish wedding cookies, and peanut butter cookies for their enjoyment in the front parlor under a glass case. They are not from a mix, but are baked fresh daily by our staff. The Rose Room was chosen by these guest at our web-site, where it says in its description "located on main level across from the Dining Room". Unfortunately, they did not express any concerns to us about its location, or else we could have relocated them at their arrival. The Rose room is charming with its original 1898 double door system, as noted in the historical chronicle about the Inn. Perhaps they didn't latch it as intended, we apologize if we didn't explain it well, which may be the source of their concern. The Inn has 100% new electrical wiring from its 2003 renovation supervised by the City building inspectors. After their check-out, we noticed an extension chord serving a bed night stand lamp was worn out, we replaced it, all was well. We would have happily done as soon as we heard about it during their stay, but they didn't mention this, so we found it during our cleaning and usual room testing. It is our management objective for our guests to be pleased by their stay. We invite future guests to please speak with us if they have questions or concerns.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2011

Comfort has been sacrificed to appearance in this overpriced B and B.

Pros; free soft drinks/sodas in fridge, air conditioning is good and quiet.

Cons; things dusty, over-abundance of Victorian-style tat clutters every surface (the collections of dolls, books, doilies, pillows, etc means you can't sit down, get comfortable or find somewhere to put your drink), Rose Room priced at USD 109 plus tax has a door that doesn't shut (solution? Put a curtain over it. Shame that it's across from the dining room, which means you can't sleep through the seven am breakfast and have light shining at you all night), anyone arriving after seven or so gets a key taped to the front door and a phone number, owners only to be found at breakfast, breakfast is dire (I'm happy with toast. Though the room is set for the queen at all times, the breakfast is stingy and tastes bad), furniture on porch not clean so I cut my hand on something unidentifiable on a cushion trying to dust it off.

Summary: looks nice in pictures but don't bother. Even a private room at a hostel is better value.

• Stayed July 2011
5 Thank HereOnHols
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2011

I enjoyed a 3 night stay in late January, my 2nd visit, again found the décor beautiful, the breakfasts yummy, the location very convenient and the Innkeepers helpful. My experience had one draw-back--the rudeness of another guest—who apparently just wrote a bad review. I must speak up about what I saw. I arrived and found another guest had blocked the driveway. The Innkeeper responded quickly and asked the other guest to park in a proper space. At breakfast Sunday morning, that same guest arrived about 45 minutes late, though her food had been cooked and her place waiting for her. Rather than apologize for her lateness, she was loud and rude to the Innkeeper in front of everyone, said she was leaving right then, though you could see a longer stay was reserved. I overheard the Innkeeper speaking quietly and committing to refund her stay since they wish their guests to be happy with their stay. Even this did not quiet down the rude guest and she left in a huff. She was a very strange person. You should ignore her review and visit this great Inn,!!! I admire the Innkeepers for their maturity in an exceptional situation and this is not a typical week-end there.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tshelley
Madison, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2011

If you like cramped little rooms full of garage sale style antiques, where the mattresses and pillows are like rocks and the inn-keepers wake you up out of a dead sleep to demand that you move your car--well, this is the place for you. I arrived after a long day of travel to be greeted by an envelope with a key in it, and a phone number scribbled outside. When I called I was told to "park in the driveway, there is room for four cars." There being no other cars in the driveway, I chose what I thought was a spot and parked. After shlepping my own bags up the narrow staircase, at risk of sending the prodigious portraits of someone's ancestors flying, I went to dinner and returned to fall into a dead sleep, only to be awakened by cranky innkeeper Sheila who demanded I come downstairs immediately and "move this vehicle."

For the amount they spent on the really bizzare collection of bric-a-brac that crams the rooms and lobby, a nice set of mattresses, comfortable pillows and perhaps even some usable seating in the parlor (it's full of crocheted pillows and piled high with sight seeing books). The bathroom in my room was so small that in order to dry my hair I practically had to stand on the toilet.

Bad and probably isolated experience, but on a more universal note, if you are vegetarian as I am, know that they are positively at a loss for what to serve you and will make a very big deal if you are not in your chair eating breakfast with them at 8:00 a.m. each morning. The entire place smells like bacon every morning.

I checked out early when, despite my having made my reservation three months in advance, the innkeepers demanded I change rooms in the middle of my stay. I have stayed in B&B's all over the country and this is the second worst experience I've ever had--the first being stranded alone in a darkened house in Harlem.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank RJJontheRoad
Caldwell, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2010

My husband and I went to Cobb Lane Bed and Breakfast for our "Babymoon" (a romantic getaway before baby arrives) and it was beyond what I expected! The house itself is stunning, and very easy to find (don't use Mapquest, but use Google maps or a GPS)! It is the essence of victorian elegance and full of beautiful little details everywhere you look. Miss Sheila gave us a wonderful tour when we arrived and welcomed us so warmly! There are sweet little surprises awaiting each guest in the sitting room, homemade yummy cookies! We slept in the Periwinkle room, a lovely room decorated in pale periwinkle (light purplish blue), vivid blue and yellow. Our private bathroom had a beautiful clawfoot bathtub with a stunning embroidered shower curtain...! We had the priviledge to check in close to 3pm, so we were able to peek into all the bedrooms before any new guests arrived, and each room is equally charming!

The smell of breakfast was so tantalizing that we couldn't wait to get downstairs, and when we did we were greeted by wonderful other guests and Miss Sheila with her sweet gentle helper. We had a delicious sausage croissant breakfast casserole and a wide variety of fruit, with orange juice and coffee! We had so much fun chatting with the other guests and were so reluctant for our time to end there.

My only regret is that as Miss Sheila and Mr Ira trade off on morning duty, we weren't able to chat with him as well, and hear his wonderful stories! Miss Sheila told the sweetest Christmas story of their efforts to keep the magic of Santa Claus alive for their children and now their grandchildren.

This was just a magical experience. I highly recommend it!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JonasandDelice
It is always a pleasure to share Holiday stories that help build family memories and bonds. These guests were delightful and all enjoyed meeting them. We wish them well as they start their own family traditions as a special gift to their children.