“Great staff”

Ranked #16 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Chesterfield, Missouri
“Great staff”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stopped for the night on our way from Saint Louis to FL. The room was nice overall. The pack and play we requested was pretty dirty. I can chalk that up the last guests leaving it that way. We did call the front desk and requested it be cleaned or replaced. the young man who came to clean it on the evening of 6/8 was exceedingly helpful.

The breakfast bar was very nice the next morning, and again the young woman stocking and cleaning that area was very friendly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
KanaHotelGroup, Manager at Hampton Inn Birmingham I-65/Lakeshore Drive, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
 Your complimentary review of our hotel is much appreciated! Hopefully, we'll have the opportunity to host you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Birmingh
Reviewed May 11, 2013

We have been Hilton Honor members for years and this was THE WORST hotel experience of our lives.

No issues upon arrival. Hotel seemed clean and "Hampton-standard" in the lobby. The manager who checked us in was polite and efficient. However, when we opened the door to our room we felt the warm air rush over us. Upon inspection the thermostat announced the room temperature as 78F. After talking to the front desk and tinkering with the thermostat we were all convinced that the air conditioner was broken. Not a huge deal since things break from time to time. I went down to the front desk and received a new room key for a replacement room. My wife and I took our things to the replacement room and were satisfied the air conditioner worked. We were exhausted after traveling for 24 hours back from overseas. So we unpacked and settled in for the night.

Disgusting part ...

My wife first noticed when she pulled her pillow back that there was a little dirt in the bed under the pillow. I was frustrated, but exhausted, and figured perhaps it was from us, or worst case someone had tossed the pillows in the floor and it had picked up some dirt. Then we noticed more debris in the bed. As we began to pull the covers back further and further we found literally 100 - 200 large, medium and small human body hair all over the sheets and duvet cover from head to foot of the bed! (pictures attached) We were utterly disgusted. We packed our things and drove at 1:00am to another hotel. The front desk was apologetic and offered to show us another room (which was probably given the same "housekeeping" treatment as room #202.) No thanks!

Hampton Inn Lakeshore you get a pass on a broken air conditioner. You don't get a pass on a bed littered with hundreds of human hairs and other debris. We thought it was ironic that the headboard of the bed had a note declaring clean sheets and duvet covers everyday. This was further compounded as we noticed two signs in the elevator of Hampton bragging about clean sheets and beds.

TripAdvisor folks, please don't stay at this hotel and make the same mistake we did.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kevin P
KanaHotelGroup, Manager at Hampton Inn Birmingham I-65/Lakeshore Drive, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
First of all, thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I appreciate you selecting our hotel. I understand that you were disappointed with some issues at our hotel and more specifically regarding the cleanliness of our hotel. I sincerely apologize that we did not meet expectations and I am actively working with our housekeeping team to ensure our standards of cleanliness and comfort are consistently met. We strive on providing our guests with a clean and comfortable stay and we will do everything we need to do to ensure that this issue does not occur again. I am always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guests experience and I will keep your review in mind. Thank you again for your feedback and I invite you back to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to the area.
St. Paul, MN
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed for a total of 2 weeks and appreciated the laundry room, microwave and mini-fridge. Overall room was clean, although you could tell the carpet wasn't properly installed throughout the hotel. They forgot to stock coffee cups, toiletries, tp and towels one day but generally housekeeping was good. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. As with most hotel rooms without central heat/air, the HVAC unit in the room was loud and if it kicked on during the night, would interrupt your sleep. Bedding was good and pillows comfy. I had to leave so early that I didn't get to eat much breakfast; however they will make a little to-go bag for you, and the food did smell delicious.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
KanaHotelGroup, Manager at Hampton Inn Birmingham I-65/Lakeshore Drive, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
 Our team members are working harder than ever to deliver the exceptional service you have come to expect here at the Hampton Inn Birmingham I-65/Lakeshore Drive and appreciate your thoughtful comments! We look forward to your next visit.
Atlanta
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I chose this location as recommended by my corporate travel site and stayed here years ago when it was new. It's in need of some immediate attention: paint, new decor, deep cleaning and new linens. Also some Hilton oversight & mgmt/hskp. attention to details. I was in double bedded room with only two bath towels, no shampoo, and toilet paper installed wrong way on roll. (see photo) Checked in by desk clerk who was talking on cell phone during my check-in. It's a shame as it's a great location just off I-65 near several major companies and local shopping & restaurants and appears always full or near capacity (based on parking lot) so it would not take much investment to return it to the standards we expect from Hampton/Hilton. Will not choose this location in future until the renovations are complete. Sorry, I was disappointed as an HHonors member. Maybe this note will be a wake up call.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
KanaHotelGroup, Manager at Hampton Inn Birmingham I-65/Lakeshore Drive, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were disappointed and that we came short of delivering what you are accustomed to expect from us. I truly apologize if this was the case and I can assure you that I will definitely keep your review in mind to improve our in-property experience. We appreciate your business and sincerely apologize that we did not provide you with the level of quality that you are accustomed to receive from us. We do everything we can to ensure our guests enjoy our hotel. With that said, I assure that your feedback is incredibly important to us and I will definitely take your comments into consideration.

Morristown, United States
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Love the clean bedding, the cleanliness of the hotel, the quietness (even though located next to the interstate), and the kindness of the staff!! The food, however, was far less than "good". We justified the higher price over another hotel within close proximity, due to the "hot" breakfast. We were one of the first families down for breakfast due to early morning schedules for a volleyball tournament. Simply, the eggs tasted like popcorn, we didn't even try the sausage links because they didn't look like real sausage, the cut fruit was heavily sugared, the oatmeal was too "watery", and the condiments they were out of the first morning (cinnamon and brown sugar) had still not been replenished by the second morning and the dried fruit for the oatmeal was now "out" also. So, I ate no breakfast the second morning as all other food items (w/the exception of fresh fruit) were wheat items which I do not eat. Walmart is located directly across the street. Pretty convenient to assure all items are well stocked.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

KanaHotelGroup, Manager at Hampton Inn Birmingham I-65/Lakeshore Drive, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were disappointed and that we came short of delivering what you are accustomed to expect from us. I truly apologize if this was the case and I can assure you that I will definitely keep your review in mind to improve our in-property experience. That being said, I was glad to read you liked everything else about our hotel. Again, I thank you very much for your review and sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity and stay with us next time you’re in town.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Let me say first that I'm an HHonors Diamond member. I've stayed at Hilton properties for years with work and always been completely satisfied with the consistently high quality of the brand from their Homewood Suites properties up to their 5 star Hilton resorts. This hotel is enough to sway me to switch brands to a different loyalty program entirely. First, it's absolutely filthy. It's dirty with scuffs on the walls, carpet coming up in hallways, frayed carpet in rooms, drawers all hanging open when you enter the room and stained furniture and duvet covers. It doesn't feel anything like a Hilton property. The management is apathetic as to this and didn't really care that I refused to stay and left. I would strongly suggest any other hotel - this one shows and stays like a $29.95 a night interstate motel not a Hilton property.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Carmel
Reviewed April 11, 2013

The hotel was fully booked and we were the last room booked. The hotel is clean and comfortable. The beds were extremely comfortable and it was nice to know that after every visitor the bedding is completely washed (comforter included). The only complaint is that there are smoking rooms mixed in with the non-smoking, and those smoking rooms put out a terrible smell when you walk through the hallways. The breakfast was fresh and great as was the coffee. I will definitely stay here again when traveling through Bama.

Room Tip: All rooms would appear to be equal, but ask if you want nonsmoking to be in a room surrounded by oth...