“Checked in & checked out”

Courtyard Birmingham Downtown at UAB
Ranked #16 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Orlando, Florida
“Checked in & checked out”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I checked in, went to my room, and checked out.

I got to the elevator and let two of them go by because a guy who looked like he belong in hospiced filled up the first one with wheelchair and care crew and then the another guy who was coughing a storm was ahead of me.

This is in front of the emergency room and I could hear the siren from my room as soon as I stepped in.

I thought to myself how many sick people have been in this room. I felt like I was in the hospital. It's not for me.

Also, parking was a big pain.

If you're staying at the hospital you'll love it. If you're a Golden Girl you'll love it, too. Otherwise, avoid it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank UofLtraveler
Chris T, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Downtown at UAB, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear U of L Traveler,

Thank you for adding your comments about my hotel on Trip Advisor. The majority of our guests are staying with us for the use of the Medical facility. We are easy to access the facility via the skybridge. I do understand the feelings that you may have felt as you arrived at the hotel. I want to assure you that we go to great lengths to keep our rooms not only clean but sanitized. Thank you for your feedback and I am pleased to see on your review that you rated us high for staff service. Safe travels,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Enterprise, Alabama
Reviewed September 15, 2013

My family and I were staying at the UAB downtown location to visit someone in the adjacent hospital. We were all stressed and exhausted. After obtaining our room, I went down to the Bistro to relax and gather my thoughts. A young man there (his name tag said "Cam") was very pleasant and attentive. I sat in a booth and watched as he interacted with the other guests. He was professional, cheerfully pleasant and provided excellent customer service to each and every indivual he encounted. The next morning I went down for coffee and Cam was still hard at work. I enjoyed my interaction and brief conversation with him. His customer service skills were excellent, he is a prime example to what quality customer service is all about. He was a blessing in a stressful situation and I greatly appreciated his service. Thank you Cam.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mrs_A_Borders
Chris T, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Downtown at UAB, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Mrs. Borders, thank you for taking the time to write this message about Cam. We are very fortunate to have Cam in the Bistro. With so many of our guests coming for the hospital, we feel it very important to have positive personalities working in all areas of the hotel. I hope your friend is on to a speedy recovery.
United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I stay here on business at least once a month and have always had good experiences. Easy ride from the airport, and the front desk is always friendly. The hotel is directly across the street from the hospital, including the ER entrance, so some ambulance noise is expected (be sure to ask for the side away from the ER and you won't have any trouble at all). There are several restaurants nearby and the location has been good for me to jog/run in. It's also in walking distance to the minor league baseball stadium, which is fun. I'll continue staying at this hotel when in the area. This is otherwise a fairly typical Courtyard; lobby fairly updated and clean rooms.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Travel159549
Thank you so much for sharing your recent stay at the Courtyard Birmingham Downtown. I appreciate your continued support of my hotel and look forward to your next visit. If you have not tried it yet, Railraod Park is an excellent area for a morning jog. Have a great day.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 26, 2013

My family of 4 stayed here because of the close proximity to the football camp UAB was hosting. Since we couldn't check in early, which was no problem, the friendly staff recommended a nice mall and even wrote down directions where we could kill some time. When we arrived and checked in we were very impressed with the room decor, very updated, however when we retired for bed, that's when we had problems. The mattresses and pillows were like marshmallows. No one slept, not even our 10 yr old. It was the worst night ever; every part on our body ached. Great staff but until they get better mattresses and pillows will not stay again

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Chris T, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Downtown at UAB, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Genia H, thank you for sharing the highs and lows of your recent stay at my property. I am very fortunate to have a team of associates that take great care of our guests. I am glad we were able to meet your expectations on this point. We are in the process of converting all of our pillows to a queen sized pillow. The beds will be made with two foam filled and two hypo allergenic feather filled. We are hoping to have this project completed by the end of the year. I do apologize for your restless nights sleep and do hope that you will give us a second chance when you are in Birmingham.
NY
Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

I went there for two days during my interview at UAB. It is connected to the elevator that takes you to the main hospital. Cab ride from the airport is$20 and they all accept credit cards. The rooms and the hotel is very clean and quiet. I would go back again if i am in Birmingham.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Mathboy473
Mathboy473, thank you for sharing your positive comments about your recent stay at my property. They are very much appreciated and will be shared with the team. I hope the job interview went well also and we look forward to serving you in the future.
Edmond, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 5, 2013

After travelling in from South Carolina on our way back home to OKC we arrived in Birmingham at about 7 pm. One caution, the car navigation sent us to the wrong area. We called for directions and the young lady knew where we were and gave me very good directions over the phone. Apparently a lot of the navigation tools mess this location up.
Went to the Bistro for food and drinks and Maurice provided excellent service. We were a little concerned being so close to the hospital that we would here sirens all night, but that was not the case. The next morning went down for breakfast and Cameron and Maurice provided great service. The staff made the stay enjoyable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank John_S51327
Chris T, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Downtown at UAB, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you John_S51327 for the great posting. Maurice and Cameron are two of our favorite associates and I am glad to hear that they did not let you down. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to the Carolina's.
SEWICKLEY
Reviewed June 17, 2013

For the most part this hotel is just like any other Courtyard Marriot in which I've stayed. What made this one stand out is the quality of the staff. Accommodating and always pleasant. A warm smile when working away from home really makes a difference. Shout out to Cam behind the counter in the cafe and Alan at the Front Desk.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SusaninSewickley
Chris T, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Downtown at UAB, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you so much for the positive comments that you posted. I have shared your comments with the team and we all appreciate them a great deal. We look forward to seeing you in the future. Have a great day.