“Clean, new and good location”

Courtyard Birmingham Downtown at UAB
Ranked #16 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Stayed here for a night where I had an early flight. What you would expect from a newer courtyard. Many restaurant selections within walking distance. Room was nice, big desk for working. Great choice for that part of Birmingham.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Chris T, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Downtown at UAB, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

MotoMoto, I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Thank you for the positive posting on TripAdvisor, we look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Birmingham.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Stayed one night for a wedding 4/27. Overall the room was very clean and well-appointed, so no complaints there. The hotel is also within walking distance to the Five Points area which gives plenty of options for food and bars. Check in and out were very easy, though we did have some issues getting our room keys to work.

The one thing to beware of with this hotel, as mentioned previously, is its location. As it is right next to the hospital, there is a very high level of noise both from sirens and from helicopters. This can happen at any and all hours. Though it's obviously worth mentioning that there is nothing at all the hotel can do about this. If you're in need of a room because of the hospital, you'll be all set here.

While overall good, I likely would not stay here again simply due to the noise factor.

Room Tip: As stated before, higher floor rooms are less subject to the street noise.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris T, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Downtown at UAB, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Derek, thank you so much for the kind words about your recent stay at the Courtyard Birmingham at UAB. We appreciate your business and positive feedback on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

I got this hotel through Priceline for a very good deal. It was a little hard to find and to figure out parking which did cost. Room was nice, with king size bed and couch. Front desk staff was very friendly and helped me figure out where to go to dinner and see a movie. Hotel did not include a continental breakfast but did have a small restaurant where I had a mocha and yogurt, which was nice and light for a great start to my day.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Chris T, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Downtown at UAB, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Good afternoon

Thank you for the positive posting about your stay at our hotel. I am glad we were able to assit in making your stay and enjoyable one. If we can assist in the future please do not hesitate to call us directly.

Have a great day!

Reviewed March 22, 2013

This is a nice hotel with comfortable rooms and a pleasant lobby. Very easy to get to UAB hospital by going in the parking garage door, going up one floor and walking through the skybridge into one of the main areas of the hospital. The staff here is cordial. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Hello and thank you for the great comments. We appreciate your stay with us and are pleased that we met your needs. If we can be of service in the future please do not hesitate to call us directly.

Have a great day!

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Our stay started off a bit strange, since parking garage is shared with the hospital. We had no cart to help with luggage, so be sure and tote the minimal amount. However, if you have someone in the hospital, this would be the ideal situation. clean rooms and restaurants within walking distance. When leaving, the machine wouldn't take our ticket and we had to reverse, go back and get another ticket-- a bit inconvenient.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Good afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at my hotel. We appreciate all of the feedback we receive. I will be speaking with the gargage manager to see about a better way to transfer luggage through the two buildings.

Have a great day.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Very nice hotel. Everything looked new. Have a restaurant inside that stays open later than most food places around the area. Walking distance to area hospitals.
Parking garage great location to hotel & hospitals. Garage is $6 per day the cheapest of any other. The service was outstanding. Especially the front desk staff. Thank you.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank CarribeanBound1
Chris T, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Downtown at UAB, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Thank you for the kind words about our property. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you very soon,

Chris Townsley
Courtyard by Marriott Downtown at UAB

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Nice, clean and great location if you are visiting the UAB hospital (I was) as it is across the street with a walkway to the hospital about 30 feet from the front door. Close to restaurants and about 20 minutes from the airport by cab. The hotel has two issues which seem to be standard things in all the hotels I have stayed at lately: One, a REALLY slow elevator which is a minor inconvienience, but two, exactly 1/2 of the exercise room machines were broken which is a big deal for me. The staff was courteous and efficient. They discontinued coffee for free in the lobby while I was there which wouldn't be such a big deal if they restocked the coffee in my room for the in room coffee maker. I had to have my key "re-keyed" 5 times in a six day stay and every time they asked me if I had extended my stay. No I hadn't.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor if you can as ambulances arrive with sirens blaring about every 30 minutes, but w...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ford64
Chris T, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Downtown at UAB, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Good Morning,
Thanking you for taking the time to deliver this posting about the hotel. I am the new General Manager for the hotel and have looked into both of the issues that you stated, as much as I would like to speed up the elevators I have been told that is not possible. I did go ahead and have the fitness center equipment company come out and review the machines and make certain they are in working order.
I appreciate your business and hope to see you soon.