“Basic but many pluses”

Ranked #13 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Gainesville, Florida
“Basic but many pluses”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

It is a basic hotel, but we enjoyed our stay for several reasons. Here are pluses:
- we were able to go to a UAB gym, which is a very good one (you need to pay parking though)
- cafe was open late and it was convenient since we could get tea
- cafe staff was really sweet and the lady brought us an extra banana when she saw we have a hungry munchkin with us. It was a sweet gesture!
- breakfast was really good (we got a hotel+parking+breakfast package)
- clean
- good location (although I did not feel I could safely walk in this neighborhood)

We would come back again if we need to stay in downtown Birmingham!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Chris T, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Downtown at UAB, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Good morning and thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
DeFuniak Springs, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

I should have known something was up when I was initially quoted a UAB patient rate of $214 a night! My mother-in-law had stayed here the week before and had no complaints. It is very convenient to UAB and Kirklin Clinic. We chose it because of this. My husband is oxygen dependent and cannot walk long distance. Jessica who checked us in was very helpful. The room was comfortable and after checking the in room information booklet and seeing that breakfast was served until 10 a.m. we decided to sleep in after an exhausting day. No issues that night but when I went into the bathroom the next morning to take my bath there was a HUGE cockroach in the bathtub! No fond of sharing my spaces with critters especially at $!50 a night. We went down stairs to get breakfast at 0930 and were told that is the time they stopped serving. The sad thing is we will probably stay here again because of it's proximity to the hospital an clinic and my husband's inability to walk any distance. Worst Courtyard experience ever.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

So I had the opportunity to help our extended family with their stay while they attended their daughter at UAB Hospital. I called the hotel and spoke with Jessica. She went the extra mile in helping me complete the transaction. I think that all the staff are as courteous as Jessica.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank br549kls
Montgomery Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

Nice Hotel. I have stayed here several times for appointments at UAB, and the night before a flight. The hotel is off of the interstate and fairly easy to get back on interstate and to the airport. The hotel is connected to UAB, which makes it very nice. Between the parking garage, the hotel, and the hospital one never has to go outside. NOW- the STAFF!!!! The staff was PERFECT, friendly, and more than helpful. Tammy has checked me in the past 3 times. She is awesome!
The rooms were nice, clean, spacious, and the beds were comfortable.THis is a great choice!

Room Tip: request a room on the 4th floor
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Miami
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

I spent a few days at this hotel and overall it is not a bad hotel. The room I stayed in was very nice.
One of the main things to consider parking....you can not park near your room.
There are some restaurants right down the street.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Orthodontics
Syracuse, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

This hotel is connected to the hospital which makes it very convenient. Between the parking garage, the hotel, and the hospital one never has to go outside. The rate was high ($143/night) for a courtyard, but the convenience was worth it to us. The staff was wonderful, friendly, and helpful. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. There is a Bistro near the lobby which had good food, friendly staff, and nice atmosphere. I was expecting a free breakfast, but apparently the Bistro replaced it! The surrounding area isn't the greatest, but we never felt threatened but we never ventured out much after dark. There are a variety of places to eat within walking distance.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Northport, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

My dad had a 10 stay at UAB for a major surgery. We decided we would stay at this hotel for convenience sake. It is a superb location to the UAB hospital. It is located directly beside the 4th Ave. Parking Deck and has a button to push just for the hotel. We felt fairly pleased with our stay (for a while).

We checked in on a Friday and were told the rates were $119/night for UAB patient's family members and were "discounted" for UAB related stays. The rate was also written on our check in card. We thought that was fairly reasonable. We signed up for a three day stay initially, but had to extend our stay two more times due to my dad's complications at the hospital, post surgery.

Please note, there was almost no greeting of the staff at the desk when we came and went from the location, but we were there for convenience only and it was ignored by us for the most part. I can think of only three workers who even spoke with a greeting during the entire long stay. Mind you, we came and went mutiple times in a 24 hour period. In my mind I thought the staff would be extra hospitable due to the stress families feel during their stay, but it was just not the case. The maids come very early to clean around 9:00, which is a problem if you have stayed with a patient all night. They knock if you do not have a sign and do not seem to understand English to explain that you want them to come later. Also, they missed two whole days of cleaning, even though we were not there. When my mom told them to bring towels since the maids did not come, they told her to come get them herself!! We also saw another person carrying up their own towels, as they too did not have a maid clean their room.

The room is simple with no microwaves or fridge. There is a cooler of sorts. They have coffee pots, but do not always bring you cups to put the coffee in to drink! The pillows are tiny, puffy squares (many of them) and are horrible for your neck and comfortable sleeping. They are too flat for the use of one pillow and far too high for the use of two pillows. I ended up with nerve pain from sleeping on them.

We still felt pleased for the most part with the hotel because the hotel was so convenient, until the bill arrived the day before we were supposed to go home. Instead of $119/night, we had a bill for $143/night. We were so upset. I happened to find the bill the night the maids never even cleaned. It was 4 am after I had been staying up with my dad most of the night. I promptly went downstairs to tell the desk worker and he said, "that is what we always charge UAB families". Really....???? I told him the rate on the website was $119/night. He told me to come back and speak to management. I went again after sleeping a few hours. I was told that $119 was only for "week-end" prices. Really...???? There was NO $119 rates posted on ANY week-end days. I did have a manager change the price based on a "verbal" statement of the $119 price, though she seemed to do so with a slight bit of resentment. It really gave us a bad feeling about the hotel and how they work and treat their customers. Are they just hoping you will not notice or question their bills?

I wondered if this was a common practice for worn out patient's families? I reviewed all reviews for this hotel the next day. YES, I found it to have happened mutiple times based on old reviews in the past. It seems the CICU patient's families have had many discussions of issues with this very hotel.

Word to the wise....Watch your bill and don't accept charges that were not quoted to you and written down for you. Also, price gouging people who are under stress for illness is totally unacceptable. Also, a friendly hello from the staff to a tired and stressed out family member might be a nice touch of hospitality.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family