“over run with screaming kids”

Renaissance Birmingham Ross Bridge Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #13 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Chicago, Illinois
“over run with screaming kids”
Reviewed June 14, 2010

I had a medical convention, Got in on Thursday, the only decent day.

by Friday the place was over run with screaming kids. The best thing about this resort is the picturesque setting. Down hill from there. rooms are So So, The food is average. For this price point I expect more. The walls are paper thin you can hear everything, which added to the annoyance factor as you could hear the kids running down the hall. Other than Wal-mart, I never have seen so many pregnant women with stair step kids in tow .

I would not visit this hotel by choice, Maybe If you go at a really slow time , it may be better.
oh yeah , they have a sub-division attached which is way over rated, I toured some of the FAKE Tuscon style homes, very bad floor plans with cheap/tacky decor

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Weston, FL
Reviewed May 18, 2010

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights this past weekend and just found the hotel to be so pretty, the grounds are wonderfully kept and the staff were all very nice. The location is just awesome in that you are surrounded by nature and away from everything so you can really unplug and relax. But...you're not too far away that you can't drive out to a fantastic dinner in the evenings. I took a walk on a paved path each morning and it just really was nice. I did take in a spa day and it's my only negative about the hotel....the massage was just "ok" and the fact that they spa does not have a private pool area or solarium to relax after a treatment was a disappointment. Otherwise, I thought it was great and would stay there again for sure.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed May 14, 2010

It is my favorite, like a French chateau in the Alabama countryside! For a romantic weekend getaway, this is the place to go, forget the beach and the Marriott Grand Point Clear. That hotel is ok, but this one, is something so special. Bagpipes at dusk, wonderful bar with fresh squeezed juices in all the drinks, rooms with balconies overlooking the rolling hills. Wonderful Marriott beds and wonderful Marriott staff. We go every year and will continue to as long as possible.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Naperville, IL
Reviewed April 1, 2010

My son and I stayed here in late March 2010 on a golf trip (Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail). This was a fantastic place to stay as its in the heart of the trail just south of Birmingham and located at the Ross Bridge golf course (home of the Seniors Brunos Classic). The hotel is also only 5 minutes from the Oxmoor courses. The facilities are wonderful for golfers, families with children (nice pool) and couples. The rooms are good sized and I liked that the bathrooms has a tub and separate shower. The food can be a bit pricey as our breakfast buffet was $12.95 for continental. There are no restaurants around for 10 miles so you are captive but you have two excellent restaurants and two bars in the place. One other note- I would expect free internet but they do charge $10 per night. That's a bit cheap for a high class hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Southeast
Reviewed March 23, 2010

Last minute decision for a much needed get-away. Was able to get reservations for a hotel room and spa services within less than 24 hours. Initially, was not able to get the specific spa service we wanted but at the last minute the spa staff accommodated our requests. The spa was fabulous - very relaxing and soothing.
Our hotel room was clean and quiet with a wonderful view of the pool.
Location is close to upscale shopping centers and large variety of eating establishments ranging from inexpensive to expensive. Must have a car to get to these locations.
The negatives are as follows:
The breakfast buffet was pricey - and given I typically do not eat 18.00 worth of breakfast is a bit of a waste. The ala carte breakfast menu kind of forces you to order the buffet just to avoid paying more money for less food. I would suggest they make the breakfast menu more flexible and less expensive.
Parking was not very accessible to the front entrance - not unless you valet park.
Overall, would go back and planning to return....soon.
A great way to get out of the box without having to travel long distance.

• Stayed March 2010
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed March 10, 2010

I purchased a spa day for myself and went here along with some girlfriends and my daughter. One of my group flew in from a major market for our girl's spa day. This friend was especially interested in trying out the spa at Ross Bridge as she is in charge of planning spouses' activities for a big event here in 2011. I was put in charge of choosing whcih spa we would go to as a group.

We chose the spa at Ross Bridge so my friend from out of town could try it out and because a very good friend in my community who frequents this spa every month had recommended it very highly over other spas in the Birmingham area. Prior to chossing services I left two messages with I believe Ashley - before choosing but never got a return call (that should have told us something). We called back a few times and finally got Stacy who was quite nice and helped us make a final decision on dates and services.

There was good and there was bad - but at this price - it should all be at a minimum - good. The spa facility itself was very nice but the support service was inconsistent and nothing special. Some staff were terrific but many were aloof to the point of being almost rude.

All of us agreed that our massage therapists did a great job as did the woman that gave us a tour of the facilities when we arrived. She seemed to completely understand the idea that this is supposed to be a special place and service to the people in the spa should be at the highest level. Other than these two experiences you would have thought we were in a big box store trying to find someone to help us find an item.

Many times our group as well as others had to go outside the spa to the front desk to find staff to turn on the steam room or answer a question. Other than the woman who orginally gave us the tour - staff were invisible. We had to go get staff three times and watched as other ladies had to do the same. Each time we would go to the front desk the staff would be sitting at the computers. We are in robes each time so we are all having to go out and fetch folks in our robes - not fun.

We pre-ordered lunch from the hotel. After a service, we walked ina room and saw many boxes stacked one on top of the other. These were apparently the box lunches for anyone who had ordered their "special" lunch to be delivered in the spa. But it was everybody's lunches stacked up on a table in a small room. They were unmarked. We had to open each to determine whose was whose? When we opened the boxes - fried chips had been stacked all over the top of the food so you could not see what was beneath without moving the food around with your hands. This was a mess. Especially since many were not even for our group. Two women in another group sent theirs back since they were not comfortable eating after folks had sifted through them - dont blame them.

There were only four chairs at the small table. When we asked where to eat (remember we are in robes) we were told we could eat anywhere we could find a chair. Not sure where they thought we would put the boxes - on our laps? Finally, one of us went to the front desk to find someone to ask where we could go - without getting up the man pointed down a hall to some tables and told us we could sit at any of the tables outside the spa area. This is a common hall and co-ed, but we had no where else to eat so we did.

The food was awful - mostly because our sandwiches were covered in grease from the chips and most surprising - all of us had to remove the cheese on the sandwiches we did eat as it was old and hardened on the edges. Also, the sandwiches were smothered in a brown type of mustard to the point that the bread was wet. It was just gross. I was very embarrased since I had chosen this place and the lunches.

The spa itself is nice. It is quite a walk to an indoor pool and thankfully the indoor pool was empty so we had a nice time using that facility - but it is not private and we could easily have been in the pool with lots of people. But the indoor pool partially redeemed our day. We had a great time in the pool swimming and relaxing. The whirpool area is very nice and the steam room was nice. The friend on our trip said the masseuse she had was the best she had ever experienced - and she goes to many spas throughout the country.

In closing - it is too bad the spa does not seem to have gotten all the bugs out of the system. We paid a lot of money, and in the end, felt it was not a good value for what we received. In this business, you have to get every detail right.

I will try it again, and hope that they can get all the staff on the same page as well as the food up to the par of the facility itself. In the end I could not recommend this place to others and I did call my friend here in Birmingham and relay what happened. She was surpirsed but did say that in the past few months, the service has slacked considerably. Also, the person in our group decided to go with another spa rather than chance poor service at such an important event.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank MMobley
Mountain View, Arkansas
Reviewed March 6, 2010

This was our third year in staying at Ross Bridge on a spring golf outing. There are 4 couples on the trip who play the RTJ Golf Trail and this is my favorite spot. We played a couple of rounds at Oxmoor Valley and end up playing one round here at Ross Bridge. This is a super facility and has great service. I tried the breakfast buffet and it was quite a spread. Rather than driving back into town after our golfing day we decided to eat at a restaurtant on site and had a very good meal. We were fortunate to get a good rate, when we booked several months in advance of our stay. I enjoyed our golf on the Ross Bridge course. I hope to be able to return for a conference in July. It's my favorite place to stay in Birmingham.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple