“Nowhere near a 5 star hotel”

Renaissance Birmingham Ross Bridge Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Birmingham
“Nowhere near a 5 star hotel”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

The Hotel is highly overrated ...especially by locals who have never been to a real 5 star this is big time for Birmingham. The restaurants food is mediocre and dirty, beat up looking and the linens and silverware are not clean. Take a close look the tables, the bar and you will see how bad it is. Also, if you pick up food from the Grill, the servers have a tendency to tip themselves without your knowledge or if they take your card they actually authorize it for MORE than your total bill but when it finally settles after 5 days it goes back to the original amount (unless of course the servers have illegally tipped themselves for a take out order- wire fraud) ...The front lobby furniture/area is just bizarre, as it looks like the furniture came a flea market or garage sale. The building structure I would give a thumbs up but insofar as service, quality of food, amenities, I would rate anywhere from a 1 start to 3 at best. The bar drinks tasted like swamp water and I am not sure what was served to me... I ended up throwing up in the ladies room after two sips. I had two other guests with me taste the drink and both agreed it tasted strange. The bartender definitely did not have a southern hospitality about her ...but we were the only people there and it took her 35 minutes to get the drink order out.. Disgusting atmosphere.

Room Tip: go to a real 5 star hotel then go to this one and note the difference
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Rick S, General Manager at Renaissance Birmingham Ross Bridge Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Thank you for letting me know about your recent experience. If you can contact me at 205-916-7677, I sincerely would like to hear more about your visit.

Rick Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Mandeville, Louisiana
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

This is by far the premier place to stay when visiting Birmingham. Nothing even comes close to the quality of service and sheer pampering available at Ross Bridge. I'm a frequenter of this property, and my only real complaint would be they do not participate in the platinum complimentary breakfast that all Marriott resorts, even the Cosmopolitan in Vegas, are doing. The golf is out of this world, and the Spa is the best I've seen in these parts. If you are lucky, visit in the summer and sit out by the incredible pool. At night they have fires out on the patio. Maybe you even get a complimentary upgrade to one of the suits or corner units. Overall this is my favorite property in Alabama.

• Stayed October 2013
Fairhope, Alabama
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This is the fourth time we stayed at this beautiful hotel and we will definitely be back - it was great!! The facilites are brilliant, swimmingpool fine and a real treat is to hear the bagpipes every evening! Rooms are clean and nicely furnished, the bathroom is wonderful - with the separate showerunit - really nice! And - of course, not to forget the most outstanding Golfcourse - a gem amongst the Robert Trent Jones courses and fun to play it!!The area is very pleasant - and I would recommend this hotel for business as well as relaxtion - you can do both and still relax!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed at the Roos Bridge for a business outing. The hotel is located in the back of a beautiful community of homes and shops. From the outside it takes your breath away. The lobby is gorgeous with dark wood and metal tones. The front desk staff was very friendly accommodating and got me into my room in a quick fashion. The room itself was clean and nicely arranged. I wish I could take the lounger back with me home it was so comfy. The bathroom was the real standout. It was beautiful with great tile work and a nicely sized glass door shower. The view of the golf course was beautiful as well and made sitting on the porch a wonderful experience. Onsite are tennis courts and bikes, both of which I took advantage of. The restaurants were great with fantastic burgers and sweet tea. Overall I had a fantastic experience and when returning to Alabama I will definitely look at staying here again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed October 5, 2013

This was our second visit to this wonderful hotel and golf resort. Upon arrival we were given an upgrade to a pool view room. In many hotels, a room with a view of the pool might not be considered an upgrade but this hotel is certainly an exception. We arrived in our room just in time to see and hear the bag pipe player from our balcony. Our experience with the staff was great including the valet. Dinner in the hotel's restaurant was outstanding as was the breakfast buffet.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 3, 2013

This was truly a beautiful hotel with a ton of potential. However, it still has major room for improvement and that is particularly true for their valet service, which is really the first impression one gets. It was disorganized to the point of where they had left another guest's car keys in my car which caused me to have to turn around after leaving to return it. The person at the check in counter was excellent and had a great sense of humor. Joseph Lang was the best part of their staff - he was the person who brought our luggage to our room and he was a thoughtful and service minded individual; great personality and made one think that one had arrived at the best hotel in town. As with the other Marriott full service hotels, one was under the room service schedule restrictions and the food was good, but not great. Because I was "passing through" I was not exposed to the rest of the hotel services, but Porsche had an event there so I have to think that the hotel has an overall excellent reputation. It just didn't work out during this particular stay. The front office manager did make it right, and gave a 50% credit due to the problems experienced, which were mostly due to the valet service.

Thank you for that, Jason. I will most likely stay there again, at some point, but I will want to speak with the hotel's general manager ahead of time to ensure that the service is up to par because it is priced up there compared to other hotels.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the constructive feedback regarding your recent stay at the Renaissance Ross Bridge Golf Resort and Spa. Please accept my apology that your experience was not up to expectations. I can be reached at 205-916-7677 and look forward to your call.

Rick Smith
St. Louis, Missouri
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We've stayed here one weekend every year for the past four or five years. We absolutely love it! The breakfast buffet is so amazing we talk about it all year long. Be sure to try the local sausage! Ryan, the waiter there, is extremely helpful and a real asset and even remembered us from year to year. The spa is one of the most beautiful spas I've ever enjoyed-so don't miss it! The rooms are typical Marriott, but the views and the setting with bagpipes as the sun sets are truly memorable. The pool area and slide keep the kids happy as well. The one downside is the front desk staff. Talk about rude and unprofessional! We are a family of four and we were actually assigned a room with a king bed upon arrival....? Don't ever think Marriott Platinum will help you at the front desk of this resort. No upgrade, no warm welcome. But once you are past them, the weekend is marvelous! I even think their gift shop is fabulous-seems like each year I find a treasure there, especially if you like football. We've never had time for golf, but we have walked the course and it is well manicured. This year we also discovered the nearby walking trail. If you are tired of gyms, give it a try! It helped us enjoy this beautiful part of the country. We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Request a high floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Momof2travelers
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Hyatt Regency Birmingham - The Wynfrey Hotel
Birmingham Marriott
Birmingham Marriott
#25 of 80 in Birmingham
Embassy Suites by Hilton Birmingham-Hoover

Been to Renaissance Birmingham Ross Bridge Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!