Sloss Furnaces National Historic Landmark
Ranked #10 of 88 things to do in Birmingham
More attraction details
Owner description: Historic iron manufacturing facility
alaska
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“WOW!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

One of the coolest places we have been for ghost hunting! I got more EVP recording here than any other spot we have been to. (Including Savannah!) Love the fact that you are left to your own to wander about the property. I plan on coming back in the winter when there are less people milling about. LOVED IT!

Visited August 2013

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Left to our own”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

Sloss furnaces preserves an important part of Birmingham and national history. It was fascinating to look at the decrepit equipment and get a sense of the massive effort required to make pig iron. Without much discussion, it is clear that the workers slaved under harsh conditions there.

The day we arrived was hot. There was an air-conditioned welcome center, although the person wasn't very welcoming. We watched a mediocre movie, which didn't go into the sort of detail about the manufacturing I would have liked to have heard. Afterwards, we were left on our own to go around the site.

The map and the markers didn't seem to correspond well, and we were often confused what we were looking at. The placards are too brief. The whole site could present more information. One could call a cell phone number to get verbal descriptions, but we found our signal wasn't good enough.

I suspect that most of the rave reviews here are people who did ghost tours. It would be good for that.

I'm glad the site is preserved, and I appreciate that the whole adventure was free. It's worth stopping by and walking through for an hour.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank MusicMan14
Jacksonville, Alabama, United States
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“One of our favorite places”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

We love visiting Sloss Furnaces. As a photographer, its a challenging place to shoot. It does however challenge you as a photographer to be creative in your photography to come up with something different. Its an interesting place just to visit with a LOT of history. My son loves to visit because the facility is surrounded on all sides by busy railroads so he usually get to see several trains and from the safety of being inside a fence away from the railroad. There is a lot of metal art on display that was made on site. My favorite area is now closed to the public without a guided tour, which I suspect wouldn't be conducive to photography. That area is the blowing engine room. The light and the windows in this building were awesome for photography. However its inconsiderate visitors that don't care to take care of such awesome places going in and vandalizing that got it closed to those of us that respect these places. One of the best features still open is the underground tunnel. That is such a neat place to go. Ofcourse if your into paranormal this is supposed to be the most haunted place in Alabama, although you couldn't prove it by me.

Visited January 2013
Westmoreland, Tennessee
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Creepy history.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

Visited Sloss during an event held there by Ghost Hunt Week-Ends. Originally was only interested in the haunted history of the location but after spending some time at the location, I became very interested in the history of Birmingham's furnaces. The staff of Sloss was very friendly and informative of the history of the place. I would like to visit again, in the day time, so I can get a better feel for importance of the place.

Visited July 2013
Birmingham
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Tells a Story”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

I love the history here and how well it has been restored. They have iron pours a few times a year for children and school groups, that is amazing if you get an opportunity to participate. The best part is it is free. What better way to learn about history without spending money, rare these days.

Visited March 2013