“Baseball History!”

Rickwood Field Park
Ranked #23 of 95 things to do in Birmingham
More attraction details
Owner description: America's oldest baseball park and former home of the Birmingham Barons is a place where visitors can relive the magic of baseball's glory years.
Reviewed April 3, 2012

My family and I spend an hour at Rickwood on a Monday morning. There is so much history and it gives you chill bumps.The field is open during the day for self-guided tours. I appreciate what the people of Birmingham are doing to try and keep it open and standing.

It is in bad shape and it's hard to imagine they hold a Barons game there once a year. The field is very well done, but that's about it. The place needs so much work. Some simple fixes would be to fix some of the broken chairs, pressure wash the bird droppings in the small concourse and entrance, purge all the trash and junk that is stuffed into open areas under the grandstands and repair cracks/chunks in the concrete steps. There was even an abandoned car with its windows broken out under the right field grandstands.

Nevertheless, it was great to be on that field and throw baseball with my son and daughter. I encourage anyone to visit that park and absorb the history within!

1  Thank Erik G

Reviewed March 25, 2012

Rickwood Field is located in Birminham Al. The ball field is the oldest ball field in the United States. Alot of the Baseball greats have played on this field.

Reviewed March 23, 2012

I've only been to one live baseball game in my lifetime (Reggie Jackson was playing at Yankee Stadium), but I can honestly say I enjoyed visiting Rickwood Park with my husband & friends. I liked seeing the old turnstyles, refreshment stands, and old billboards such as State Farm & Coke Cola. The park is still used by local teams. A new field was built for the Birmingham Barons. I loved the black & white photos of Willie Mays, Jackie Robinson, Babe Ruth and many others. A must see when visiting this historical city.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

This ball park is the oldest in America. It was home to the Black barons and greats like Hank Aaron, Babe Ruth & Satchel Paige all played here. If you get to see a game here it is amazing!!!

Reviewed January 20, 2012

Every year the local AAA minor league team plays a throwback game here. The place fills up and you really can picture yourself back in the glory days of baseball. It's in a sketchy part of town now, but I've never had an issue there.