“Fun Bar with Great Food”
Review of Paramount

Paramount
Ranked #28 of 968 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed May 30, 2014

The bar is a cross between modern industrial with a bit of steam punk thrown in. Exposed brick walls, old tire rims, and car garage lights strung from the ceiling complete the bar scene. But what really makes this place fun and unique, besides the food, is the game room next door.
There you will find a pool table, foosball table, skeeball, Galaga, basketball games, a pinball machine, and even a Street Fighter game, or something like it. In other words: 80s Throwback Heaven!

While this is primarily a bar, it's food is more more than typical bar food. Start with the hummus, which they call "Alabama Hummus," made from boiled peanuts! Another great appetizer are the Dixie Nachos, a creative twist on the ubiquitous bar snack. The Dixie Nachos are made with sweet potato chips with creamy slaw, bacon, mustard, scallions, and barbecue sauce. Also, go with the double dipped onion rings with fresh thyme, beer batter, panko, and horsey sauce.

The hot dogs are knife and fork meals. My favorite was They have a great chicken sandwich called Going Back to Cali, with avocado, sweet peppers, basil-lime mayo on a wild yeast sourdough bun.

And of course, don’t forget about the hamburgers. You can’t go wrong with The Standard, with lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, horsey sauce, and cheddar. But my favorite is the You're My Boy, Blue. It's piled high with bacon, blue cheese, caramelized onions, and arugula. The sweetness of the caramelized onions, the sharpness of the blue cheese, the pepperiness of the arugula, and the smokiness of the bacon create a perfect flavor combination.

And all this great food is easily washed down by an excellent selection of Alabama craft brews like Good People, Avondale Brewing Company, Straight to Ale, and Back Forty.

2  Thank CT1970

Reviewed May 28, 2014

This place is right across the street from where I live and it has great late night atmosphere! WE just love the selection of food and beer - a great treat after long hard day of work

Reviewed May 12, 2014

The atmosphere was great! The people were friendly and the wait staff/bar tenders were very attentive. We could not eat, though, because we got there past 12, and the kitchen had just closed. I would definitely go back to eat there.

Reviewed April 1, 2014

Downtown Birmingham seems to close up tight after the lunch rush is over. We finally find the Paramount open. It's apparently a watering hole for bankers and lawyers after work. It's fine, though. Very good food. I had the Bronx Bomber burger. Very unique and excellent.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

My husband and I were actually able to walk in and sit right down at a table (technically we had to share a six-top with another couple, but not really a big deal) on a Friday night with no wait. That's a pretty big deal in Birmingham, especially for a new place.

We started with the Not-zzarella balls, fried balls filled with cheese, olives and several other things. They were pretty good, but I would probably try something else next time because everything sounded good. My husband had the Bronx bomber and loved it, you really can't go wrong with a fried egg on anything, and I had the fun guy. The pita bread was so good and the sauce and arugula and mushrooms, ok, basically the whole thing was awesome. I would definitely get it again. No dessert or specialty drinks, we just went with beer on this trip. I had the local Trim Tab brew that was on tap and my husband went with an Abita.

The service was pretty good, especially for them to be so busy. The atmosphere is cool. Great place to watch sports events and the game room is a definite plus!