“Disappointing repeat visit”
Review of Cocina Superior

Cocina Superior
Reserve with OpenTable
Cocina Superior is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #178 of 960 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Crane Hill, Alabama, United States
“Disappointing repeat visit”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

First let me say I've had some positive experiences here. The drinks are ok, the bar atmosphere is hoppin, the place is attractive. Last night, GNO, those things were still true. And as usual the chips are excellent, hot and thin. Right off the bat, the manager came over to inform us that they could not fill our order of baked oysters because they had no oysters. Bummer, as these are out favorite menu item, but we understand, as we don't want off quality oysters. Our waiter, Juan, was friendly, and sometimes unavailable. My chicken and spinach enchiladas, recommended by Juan, were really disappointing. Rubbery chicken cubes, very little spinach, in no visible sauce inside, with raw tasting corn tortillas and bland cheese sauce poured on top. They were quite obviously not baked at all but assembled minutes before in kitchen. I may be back, but for me it will be drink, oysters and out!

• Visited June 2014

North Haven, Connecticut
“Very satisfactory restaurant, at least for lunch”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

I have been to this restaurant on nearly every visit to Birmingham (about twice a year) and have always found it very satisfactory, notwithstanding the mixed reviews I see below. I've always been there for lunch, however, never for dinner. The service in particular has been unfailingly friendly, polite, and attentive, and so it was this most recent time. Waiting time was on the long side, it is true, but the time was whiled away with an unlimited supply of very fresh nachos and good chunky salsa. The main dishes were all very good, not exceptional. The environment is modern and fairly spacious, thus not too noisy. I'll gladly go there for lunch again.

• Visited May 2014
Birmingham, Alabama
“Great atmosphere, great tex mex”
Reviewed May 14, 2014 via mobile

Cocina Superior
587 Brookwood Village
Birmingham Al
205-259-1980

We had a wonderful evening at Cocina Superior last night. The facility is clean and nicely decorated with indoor and outdoor seating. Covered and uncovered available outdoor.
Our server was Jesus and he was very friendly, knowledgable and helpful as well. We had the Cocina Oysters which are to die for! They were plump, juicy and full of rich buttery goodness.
I'm not sure how they shuck but there seemed to be more pieces of shell than is customarily found. None the less fabulous though! We accompanied with their margarita on the rocks and a skinny margarita too. Both tasted good on the rocks with the regular margarita having more of a bite that the skinny. For entrees we then ordered the shrimp brochettes and chile relleno both entrees were delivered fairly quick and were more than enough for two. The presentation and flavors blended nicely and there was lots of cheese! All in all a great evening and I'll definitely be going back to Cocina Superior.

Urban Cowgill

Visited May 2014
Birmingham, Alabama
“Be prepared to stay a while”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Granted, they were busy ... prom night or something. But, the wait was excessive. We waited 50 minutes for a table and then only got one because we went up and asked. I really believe they skipped us. The server was very friendly and tried her best. Appetizers and drinks were great and delivered quickly, but the food was another 45 minute wait. I ordered the fish tacos and though they were okay, I would not order them there again ... one piece of grilled tilapia on a tortilla with nothing else; very bland and a little disappointing. Overall, the experience was good and a fun night out with friends, but the food was just so so and the excessive wait made us miss the movie we had planned to see.

• Visited April 2014
Birmingham
“Underwhelming, lousy food and service.”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

This place has been on the decline for a couple of years now. The service is lousy, the food is mediocre at best, and management doesn't have a clue. I would suggest Chuy's any day over this place. By the way, if you have an issue with your food or service, Mr. Pena will basically ignore you and state that he "has never seen you in the restaurant before", so that his incompetence as a general manager will be overlooked. I have never been more insulted in my life. Instead of correcting the problem or offering an apology for undercooked food and lousy salsa, he offered that response. Really?? Based on the reviews, this place has a bad reputation anyway, so I don't really have to say much more. Don't waste your money or your time!

• Visited March 2014