“My Neighborhood Spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Bistro 218

Bistro 218
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistro 218 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 939 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Welcome to Bistro 218 Nestled in the heart of Downtown Birmingham’s Financial and Theater District, Bistro 218 features side by side dining concepts. Guests can enjoy a glass of wine or craft cocktail in our upscale casual bar room and indulge in a full bar menu under or proceed through the French doors into the main dining room and take pleasure in French classics paired with seasonally procured wines and local craft beers. Reservations are available in either room. Ever changing menus are seasonal, with Gulf Coast influences and feature local foragers and farms supplying the best Alabama has to offer. Bistro 218 honors the traditions of French bistros with minimalist decor in a historical setting. Dark Brazilian mahogany, high ceilings and exposed brick adorned with local art emanate a comforting yet elegant atmosphere that is perfect for a romantic dinner, a pre-theater meal or a relaxing night out. Bistro 218 brings French cuisine to every palette. Enjoy your bistro favorites-from quiche to duck confit. We invite all of our neighborhood friends to join us for a high quality dining experience in a relaxed atmosphere where our standards in service and food are testaments to the history of Birmingham dining.
Birmingham, Alabama
“My Neighborhood Spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

I am very lucky and live downtown Birmingham. I am very lucky to live across the street from Bistro 218. What Tom has done with that spot is amazing. You get the feel of New York and Paris. The food is excellent and the service is very friendly. It's across between fancy and good home cooking. I love what Tom does with his pork dishes. Been there a few times and now even have my favorite table. You want good food and good wine Bistro 218 is your spot.

• Visited July 2014

Alabama
“Great burger”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014

They have a great burger at lunch. Everything else is pretty expensive but if on an expense account it is a good choice. Dinner is nice, generally quiet, sometimes they have a hick up or two.

Visited June 2014
Helena, Alabama
“Expensive night out”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

The drinks are great so enjoy the bar. The food is Ok, nothing exciting. Service was Ok, but again nothing above and beyond. I will not be back.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Cynthia H
Birmingham, Alabama
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Place for a date”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I went there to try out something new. Service was really great and the food tasted really good. The place is not too big but it really creates an intimate atmosphere that my wife and on our second visit with our friends enjoyed.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Caleb P
AZ
“Darn Tasty”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

Second night in Birmingham and after being undecided for some time settled on Bistro 218 and very glad I did. Everything was "just right". Very elegant yet understated decor, superbly friendly and knowledgeable wait staff (thank you Hannah!!), and simply delicious unfussy food. I could have happily ordered any appetizer, or any main course - each sounded delicious. The menu for me was just right - a good selection but simple enough and concise enough that each was a quality dish (I hate to see a menu with 40 different main courses - immediately knowing that you can't do that many different dishes that well.

I chose the Rabbit - my only reservation was whether it would be a sizable portion as I was pretty hungry. Hannah said it was "quite hearty" - so I skipped an appetizer and went with Rabbit. . . and it was delicious. Fall off the bone, perfect amount of gravy, a slice of liver in the middle, touch of bacon ... delicious. Wine pairing was great. An enjoyable, excellent meal in every regard!

• Visited April 2014