“Nice hotel if you get a good price.” 3 of 5 bubbles

The Westin Birmingham
Ranked #16 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersSilver level
Spanish Fort, Alabama
“Nice hotel if you get a good price.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014

My wife and I were in town for the Talladega NASCAR race and I booked this hotel for $90/night through Priceline. The listed price was $190/night. I would not pay that much to stay here. The hotel is new and fairly nice, but not near as nice as some Westin properties I have seen. Front desk staff was somewhat rude. Rooms are kind of plain for a four star hotel, but the beds were fairly comfortable. Waterfall showerhead in shower and soaps and shampoos were nice. No free wifi in rooms, but free in the lobby. Don't pay the hotel $12 to self park. It is $8 in the adjacent parking garage that is connected to the hotel. I would have given 4 stars instead of three if the staff had been a little nicer and if the hotel offered free in-room wifi.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
sheswithstarwood, Marketing Coordinator at The Westin Birmingham, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Hi Dan7667,

Angelica

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

I loved this hotel. The property itself was relatively new and nice. The standout feature was the room. I had a King. There was great desk space. The best lighting I have seen in a hotel foom in years. An abundance of appropriately placed lamps with good wattage, including an actual traditional desk lamp. Plenty of outlets all over the room. Several by the desk. Outlets under each nightstand. More outlets on every wall. Spacious bathroom (but shower was odd - very modernish and no door).

I thought the room was fairly priced. Valet parking was overpriced. Everything else met or exceeded expectations.

Green Features: Good. They had regular trashcan and recycle trash bin for the desk.
Hello Elaine H,

Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

This is a newish Westin hotel and is very clean and modern. It's located near the convention center so good location for that, but a bit too far from the medical center if that is your destination. The rooms were not as quiet as I would have hoped, lots of noise from adjacent rooms could be heard through the walls and the room doors slam quite loudly through the night. The bed is the typical very comfortable Westin bed and the rooms were well appointed and spotless.

Dear EricF,

North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014

This is a very nice property. Feels very new. Front desk staff was super friendly and helpful. I would stay here again. My only complaint was actually about the Pub Restaurant attached to the hotel. It's a nice enough restaurant, but they forgot to bring my order for both dinner and breakfast.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
sheswithstarwood, Marketing Coordinator at The Westin Birmingham, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Hello EJG4,

Thank you for your kind review about our staff and property. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I do apologize about some of the inconvenieces you experienced during your visit. We hope to see you again so that we can make this right.

Be well,

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

I wouldn't give this hotel anything over 3 stars. It's extremely overpriced for what you (don't) get. First of all, I was not treated as a Starwood Preferred Guest because we "got a good deal" (we were in town for an event and in one of the rooms set aside for our group). So,initially we we're put in a room (view of parking garage) with a broken toilet! Then, we were moved to another floor (after I had unpacked half our clothes and generously tipped the bellboy). In the new room, there was only one paper cup for coffee (2 in our room). When I asked for more, I was told someone would deliver it right away,but no one ever showed, so I had to go downstairs to buy a $4 latte which was lukewarm. Had dinner in hotel restaurant which cost us over fifty dollars for a hamburger, fish and chips and two microbrews! [Come on BHM, you are NOT NYC.] My fish n'chips were horrid with a strange taste, maybe garlic. Also I detested the cole slaw which came with my meal--so many onions My eyes watered--really disgusting. Loud, lots of people. No room for us at a table so we sat at the bar. I watched the bartender use a straw to remove debris from a shaker, then she did the same with the concoction she just poured! I felt sorry for the couple who ordered 3 shots between themselves. I actually observed a red thing floating in one of the shots! Pretty shabby considering they were charging13$ each! Why she didn't throw it out and wash out the shaker is beyond me. There are charges for valet parking ($25 per day + tips) and daily internet access($10). Also, no one tells you until you check out that there a 15 percent tax added to the bill! The rooms were fine with heavenly beds. Workout room was OK as well. The rack rate for this hotel is ca. $350 which I consider a joke! This is the worse Westin I have ever stayed at. To say this hotel is "adequate" is being very generous. However, one good thing: a nice young man at the front desk took off our room charge for the dinner--I appreciated that, so it wasn't a total disappointment.

Room Tip: You won't get a nice room if you book a group rate, even if you are a Starwood Preferred guest.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear 4vicci,

Thank you for writing a detailed review of your recent stay with us. I would like to apologize for all the inconvenieces you encountered during your visit. Guest satisfaction is our number one priority and it looks like we might have dropped the ball on this one. I would like to discuss this further with you. Please contact me directly at angelica.thomas@westin.com. I look forward to speaking with you.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

The hotel is connected to the convention complex and therefore is able to serve large groups. The hotel is consistent with other Westin's; the beds are comfortable and well appointed. The location is right off the freeway, but there didn't seem to be any residual road noise. When visiting Birmingham I'd choose this property again if the rate was competitive. Self parking is a bit of a hassle as it's a deck and guests are directed to park on certain higher levels.

Room Tip: Consider valet parking option.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
sheswithstarwood, Marketing Coordinator at The Westin Birmingham, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Hello ATLsoccerdad,

Thank you for taking out time to write a review about your recent stay with us. We hope to see you again soon!

Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

This property was built in 2013 I believe. The hotel and rooms are very nice. Unlike many hotels, the heat/air unit was quiet and kept the room comfortable. Close access to the garage. Most restaurants in this Uptown area are pricey. The only reason for not giving it 5 stars is that the TV channels were rather limited - No AMC, No TCM.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank alvol79
Hello alvol79,

Thank you for writing a review about your most recent stay with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay . I apologize we weren't able to meet your expectations with our channel options. I hope you choose to stay with us again soon.