“Pleasant Stay at the new Westin”

The Westin Birmingham
Ranked #17 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the new Westin in Birmingham, AL twice in April 2013. I enjoyed my stay as well as the service at the Westin. The customer service was great when I was not standing in line, the bellmen (especially Gene) was "Awesome"; the valet staff was awesome (men and women); and housekeeping was great. I was in Birmingham for business; therefore, I had to walk back and forth to the Sheraton several times a day for meetings, dinner, etc. It was nice to be able to walk through the corridor to the Sheraton.
Although, my stay was very nice, I was disappointed that the hotel did not have a better restaurant; something quiet and quaint. The English Pub Bar and Grill is way too loud and not appropriate for young children and anyone under 18 years. And, at times, the food was not good. I was on a business trip for a week and I had to walk to the Sheraton in the evening to have a nice and quiet sit down dinner because the English Pub was noisy and loud all the times; even during lunch. I was very disappointed because I expected a classier restaurant from the Westin.
I was also shocked to learn that it was $9.95 per day (24 hours) to use the Wi-Fi in your hotel room. That is ridiculous due to what it costs per night at the hotel as well as $20 per day for valet. And, it did not make matters better because I had to go down stairs in the lobby to use the computer, but for only 30 minutes at a time.

I have had the opportunity to stay at the Sheraton and Westin in Birmingham within the last 3 months. My other concern was with the check-in. Each time, I had to stand in line to check-in for a long period of time. I checked in after 4:00 pm and maybe some of the staff had gone home for the day, but it always seemed that the front desk was always short of staff any time of the day.

There are newer reviews for The Westin Birmingham

Reviewed May 1, 2013

If you every have a need to go to Birmingham the Westin is an awesome place to stay... super clean, excellent service, convenient location and good food... as a New York Yankee in the deep south there was pleanty of southern hopitality at the Westin!

Reviewed April 29, 2013

I had the pleasure of spending two nights in April at the new Westin in Birmingham. I was there for a US Green Building Council meeting, and it was delightful staying at a hotel that is a candidate for LEED Silver certification. The hotel is fresh, clean, well-appointed, and lovely. The food that we were served for our meetings was fresh and tasty and the servers were very pleasant. The guest rooms were spacious with very comfortable beds. The desk/work station had easy to access plugs built in for recharging your laptops, and I love that there were clearly marked recycling bins in our rooms and all public areas. What really sets the hotel apart was its genuinely caring staff who consistently went out of their way to make sure that I had a positive experience. Two minor quibbles: (a) it bothers me when a hotel charges $9.95 for 24 hours of Internet service in guest rooms, and (b) the Internet connection we were promised for our meeting rooms turned out to be only for one computer - once one person had signed on, everyone else in the meeting was blocked out. I had to keep going to the lobby to download messages, but the "free" Wi-Fi in the lobby was only good for a total of 30 minutes per day. It amazes me that nice hotel chains like Westin are not including free Wi-Fi in its rates, when free Wi-Fi is included by a lot of hotel brands that are a lot less "classy." Westin needs to reconsider this policy!

Room Tip: My 9th floor room overlooked a parking deck. Ask for the non-parking deck side of the building!
Reviewed April 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the new Westin Birmingham during a recent trip to town on business. We picked the Westin because it's a "known" chain, and also because it's brand new. While we know that the Hotel Highland is cool, we were going to be so busy on this trip that we just wanted someplace with a nice room and a comfy bed. We specifically requested a high floor when we made our reservation, knowing that our priority here was a quiet room, so that we could get some sleep. When we checked in, they initially put us in a 4th floor room that was right over the bar. Clearly that wasn't going to work, so the supervisor on duty moved us up to the 9th floor . . . MUCH better, but the really funny part was that even though we'd stressed that we needed a quiet room, he placed us in room 917, which is right next to the room with the ice machine. The door on that Ice room is seriously the loudest door ever. When it slammed, it shook our entire room. Finally, my husband just went out and propped the door open with a garbage can so that we could get some sleep. The Westin is a beautiful property, in a developing part of the city. The rooms are great (albeit w/out any possibility of a good view), with walk in glass showers and rainfall shower heads, and super comfortable beds. (There was only one bathrobe in our room, though - is that odd, when you know you have two guests staying in that room?) But if you want a quiet room, make sure you don't end up either (a) over the bar, or (b) next to the loudest ice room ever. :)

Room Tip: The rooms over the bar will be loud, and if you want to get any sleep at all, make sure you're n...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark N, General Manager at The Westin Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear DeniseAZ,

Thank you for letting us know about your stay. We’re happy to hear you enjoyed your overall experience!

We apologize for the issues you encountered with the location of your room. We appreciate your comments, which will assist us in improving our service for future guests.

We appreciate your review and hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Birmingham.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

I live in Birmingham and decided to spend one night at the new Westin to check it out. I'm a SPG Platinum member and had a wonderful experience. The facility is the nicest in Birmingham. Gorgeous place! I can't say enough nice things about the hotel and the staff. If you're looking for a great hotel in Bham..look no further!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Dear mmathews24,

Wonderful! Thank you very much for telling us about your stay. We’re happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience and that our Associates made you feel welcomed. We appreciate your comments and recommendation, and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

I stayed here for a conference April 8 - 10. It's a beautiful new hotel property. My double room (#602) was spacious and well appointed. Nice decor. I loved that there was mini-fridge instead of the mini-bar you find in most Westins. One bottle of water is complimentary each day. The other bigger one is $3.00. Starbucks coffee, bathrobe, heavenly beds, wonderful smelling White Tea heavenly bath products - all present and accounted for. Room 602 overlooks a parking structure, but other than that all was great with the room.

The staff was exceptionally friendly. I ordered room service and it was promptly delivered. The meeting rooms seemed well equipped and able to accomodate a lot of different configurations. The hotel is connnected to the Sheraton by a skywalk, but unless you know the way you might not be able to navigate over there.

That's it. I had a great stay and would definitely recommend to others looking for a hotel in downtown Birmingham.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Mark N, General Manager at The Westin Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Dear CynthaDelTorro,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our facilities! We appreciate your comments and hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Birmingham!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

The Westin Birmingham was an excellent hotel experience. The hotel staff was extremely courteous and welcoming, the lobby was beautiful, and the room was great. I visited Birmingham this weekend to attend a concert in nearby Pelham, and I was very impressed. I didn't have a chance to eat at the Todd English place downstairs, but I stepped in for a moment, and it seemed fantastic. The bed in my room was one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in, and I don't think I've ever had a better shower than I did here. Just perfect. I will DEFINITELY choose the Westin Birmingham next time I'm in town.

Room Tip: I was on the 7th floor and I had a great experience. No noise, no problems. Just peace and relaxatio...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends