“Finally a GREAT hotel in Birmingham!!!”

The Westin Birmingham
Ranked #20 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I live in Birmingham and decided to spend one night at the new Westin to check it out. I'm a SPG Platinum member and had a wonderful experience. The facility is the nicest in Birmingham. Gorgeous place! I can't say enough nice things about the hotel and the staff. If you're looking for a great hotel in Bham..look no further!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Mark N, General Manager at The Westin Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear mmathews24,

Wonderful! Thank you very much for telling us about your stay. We’re happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience and that our Associates made you feel welcomed. We appreciate your comments and recommendation, and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

I stayed here for a conference April 8 - 10. It's a beautiful new hotel property. My double room (#602) was spacious and well appointed. Nice decor. I loved that there was mini-fridge instead of the mini-bar you find in most Westins. One bottle of water is complimentary each day. The other bigger one is $3.00. Starbucks coffee, bathrobe, heavenly beds, wonderful smelling White Tea heavenly bath products - all present and accounted for. Room 602 overlooks a parking structure, but other than that all was great with the room.

The staff was exceptionally friendly. I ordered room service and it was promptly delivered. The meeting rooms seemed well equipped and able to accomodate a lot of different configurations. The hotel is connnected to the Sheraton by a skywalk, but unless you know the way you might not be able to navigate over there.

That's it. I had a great stay and would definitely recommend to others looking for a hotel in downtown Birmingham.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Mark N, General Manager at The Westin Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Dear CynthaDelTorro,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our facilities! We appreciate your comments and hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Birmingham!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

The Westin Birmingham was an excellent hotel experience. The hotel staff was extremely courteous and welcoming, the lobby was beautiful, and the room was great. I visited Birmingham this weekend to attend a concert in nearby Pelham, and I was very impressed. I didn't have a chance to eat at the Todd English place downstairs, but I stepped in for a moment, and it seemed fantastic. The bed in my room was one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in, and I don't think I've ever had a better shower than I did here. Just perfect. I will DEFINITELY choose the Westin Birmingham next time I'm in town.

Room Tip: I was on the 7th floor and I had a great experience. No noise, no problems. Just peace and relaxatio...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We checked in and they placed us in a room that did not have a Westin Heavenly Bed - it's literally like sleeping on a piece of cardboard on top of plywood. The second night we parked our car with the valet and the hotel security followed us inside and chastised us for "blocking their security golf cart" and demanded we move our car. When we highlighted that the valet had our keys he said "I don't care - move your [--] car"... and when we looked out the window his security partner was driving the golf cart down the road with no issue. When we highlighted the verbal assault with the counter staff they said - "That's not our problem... we can't do anything about it." And then on the final night of 3 nights the hotel staff didn't change our towels or bedsheets despite us leaving the card on the bed requesting things be changed because they hand't been changed the 2 days before. This is the worst Westin on the planet - save your money and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank WestString
Mark N, General Manager at The Westin Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Dear WestString,

Thank you for taking time to review the hotel. I am so sorry to hear about your experience; it’s always difficult to hear when a guest leaves with a negative impression. However, this information will be beneficial in making sure that shortcomings like these will not happen again in the future. Thank you for providing us with your feedback and comments.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

I had to be in Birmingham for a conference and this was thechosen hotel. While it is a new hotel and has all the normal Westin feel, I think it is over rated.
I has issues with the pillows which kept me from good sleep, so bring your own. The Todd English PUB was too loud and over priced for what food was.
If you want to get a better value, stay elsewhere and get a better meal.

Room Tip: Bring your own pillow. If you have to be here, do your homework and see if this will the best value...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Mark N, General Manager at The Westin Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Dear Marshall L,

Thank you for reviewing the hotel. I am sorry to hear that your experience did not live up to your expectations. We value your opinion and will use the information you've provided to improve where needed.

Regards

Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed on a Friday night because we were going to the Jerry Seinfeld concert at the BJCC.

We self parked so we had to find our way from the parking deck to the hotel. The front desk staff was extremely nice at check-in and the entire hotel had the new car smell. The only slight complaints about our room were stylistic.

The handles on the closet were straight edge and very sharp. If you're not careful you can get a severe cut on them. We loved the raindrop shower head, but the walk-in shower creates a splash on the bathroom floor and it gets cold since there is no door to close and half the shower is exposed.

The food and staff at Todd's English Pub were very good. We had onion rings for an appetizer then the ribeye and chicken tacos. Both were excellent as was the draft beer. We also enjoyed breakfast the next morning. The blueberry Greek yogurt pancakes were delicious.

All in all a nice play to stay if you're going to an event at the BJCC. It will be even better when the High Octane Coffee Bar opens inside the hotel and Texas de Brazil opens across the street.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank msouthern17
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised with the hospitality of The Westin Birmingham staff. Everyone my family came in contact with during our stay was courteous and cordial. Our bellhop, Bryan, was very helpful, informative, and made a concerted effort to ensure our stay was enjoyable.

My family and I stayed in two rooms on the 5th floor, two of us in a king, and three in a double. Both rooms were quiet, beds were comfortable, bathrooms clean, and large flat screen worked well. Rain shower-head in the spacious tiled bath is a nice touch of luxury.

The 2nd floor outdoor pool was slightly heated, making for a brisk and brief swim. Hot tub was soothing, and the water in both pool and spa looked clear and clean. The only downside is the pool area closes early, so my relaxing late night dip was cut short.

The Todd English Pub has friendly and attentive staff, serving good comfort food and tasty drinks, albeit a bit pricy. The beer selection is quite extensive, with great Belgian varieties available in 3 different sizes. The lively Friday night atmosphere provided an appropriate blend for people watching and casual conversation.

My family's next stay in Birmingham will definitely have The Westin at the top of our list for accomodations.

Parking tip: we were able to park two cars for free on the street, just a short (1-2 block) walk from the hotel entrance.

Room Tip: Rooms 522 (2-doubles) & 526 (1-king) were both quiet and comfortable.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JonnyQuest1
Mark N, General Manager at The Westin Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Dear Meiguoren1,

Thank you very much for the positive comments. We work hard to offer attentive, friendly and efficient service; I’m so glad your visit was enjoyable. I will pass your feedback on to the team, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.