“Worst Westin On Earth”

The Westin Birmingham
Ranked #19 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We checked in and they placed us in a room that did not have a Westin Heavenly Bed - it's literally like sleeping on a piece of cardboard on top of plywood. The second night we parked our car with the valet and the hotel security followed us inside and chastised us for "blocking their security golf cart" and demanded we move our car. When we highlighted that the valet had our keys he said "I don't care - move your [--] car"... and when we looked out the window his security partner was driving the golf cart down the road with no issue. When we highlighted the verbal assault with the counter staff they said - "That's not our problem... we can't do anything about it." And then on the final night of 3 nights the hotel staff didn't change our towels or bedsheets despite us leaving the card on the bed requesting things be changed because they hand't been changed the 2 days before. This is the worst Westin on the planet - save your money and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank WestString
Mark N, General Manager at The Westin Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Dear WestString,

Thank you for taking time to review the hotel. I am so sorry to hear about your experience; it’s always difficult to hear when a guest leaves with a negative impression. However, this information will be beneficial in making sure that shortcomings like these will not happen again in the future. Thank you for providing us with your feedback and comments.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

I had to be in Birmingham for a conference and this was thechosen hotel. While it is a new hotel and has all the normal Westin feel, I think it is over rated.
I has issues with the pillows which kept me from good sleep, so bring your own. The Todd English PUB was too loud and over priced for what food was.
If you want to get a better value, stay elsewhere and get a better meal.

Room Tip: Bring your own pillow. If you have to be here, do your homework and see if this will the best value...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Mark N, General Manager at The Westin Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Dear Marshall L,

Thank you for reviewing the hotel. I am sorry to hear that your experience did not live up to your expectations. We value your opinion and will use the information you've provided to improve where needed.

Regards

Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed on a Friday night because we were going to the Jerry Seinfeld concert at the BJCC.

We self parked so we had to find our way from the parking deck to the hotel. The front desk staff was extremely nice at check-in and the entire hotel had the new car smell. The only slight complaints about our room were stylistic.

The handles on the closet were straight edge and very sharp. If you're not careful you can get a severe cut on them. We loved the raindrop shower head, but the walk-in shower creates a splash on the bathroom floor and it gets cold since there is no door to close and half the shower is exposed.

The food and staff at Todd's English Pub were very good. We had onion rings for an appetizer then the ribeye and chicken tacos. Both were excellent as was the draft beer. We also enjoyed breakfast the next morning. The blueberry Greek yogurt pancakes were delicious.

All in all a nice play to stay if you're going to an event at the BJCC. It will be even better when the High Octane Coffee Bar opens inside the hotel and Texas de Brazil opens across the street.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank msouthern17
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised with the hospitality of The Westin Birmingham staff. Everyone my family came in contact with during our stay was courteous and cordial. Our bellhop, Bryan, was very helpful, informative, and made a concerted effort to ensure our stay was enjoyable.

My family and I stayed in two rooms on the 5th floor, two of us in a king, and three in a double. Both rooms were quiet, beds were comfortable, bathrooms clean, and large flat screen worked well. Rain shower-head in the spacious tiled bath is a nice touch of luxury.

The 2nd floor outdoor pool was slightly heated, making for a brisk and brief swim. Hot tub was soothing, and the water in both pool and spa looked clear and clean. The only downside is the pool area closes early, so my relaxing late night dip was cut short.

The Todd English Pub has friendly and attentive staff, serving good comfort food and tasty drinks, albeit a bit pricy. The beer selection is quite extensive, with great Belgian varieties available in 3 different sizes. The lively Friday night atmosphere provided an appropriate blend for people watching and casual conversation.

My family's next stay in Birmingham will definitely have The Westin at the top of our list for accomodations.

Parking tip: we were able to park two cars for free on the street, just a short (1-2 block) walk from the hotel entrance.

Room Tip: Rooms 522 (2-doubles) & 526 (1-king) were both quiet and comfortable.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JonnyQuest1
Mark N, General Manager at The Westin Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Dear Meiguoren1,

Thank you very much for the positive comments. We work hard to offer attentive, friendly and efficient service; I’m so glad your visit was enjoyable. I will pass your feedback on to the team, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

I was hesitant to give this hotel a 5/5. When I was checked in, the front desk agent seemed a little detached. Nevertheless, check-in was smooth and swift, until I got up to my room, which wasn't exactly clean. I know mistakes happen, so I was not furious or anything. When I walked back down, ofcourse, it was all of a sudden busier than when I left. One of the agents was with small group of people, and I got the same one that checked me in. He did not really address my concerns and problems, rather simply said, "Okay." Very little eye contact was made. I was moved tto a new, clean room; however, the process took an almost unreasonable amount of time. Later that day, when I returned to the front desk to address what I thought was still unfinished business, there was only one front desk agent at the desk, and it seemed empty again. I talked to him for a while, and he seemed upset for me. He apologized repeatedly. I told him there was nothing he could really do to fix my problem, but he was relentless. He genuinely was remorseful for my inconvenience. It almost made me feel bad for complaining! Finally, I agreed to be fed at the hotel restaurant at a discounted price. By the time I got back to my room, there was an apologetic note, signed, "Anas, the front desk." All this attention really made me feel that the hotel could relate to me and wanted to make amends. I know that it wasn't a life-threatening problem, but it is not something I expected from a Westin. Upon check-out, Anas asked me if I felt that everything was adressed properly and what the thing that stood out the most to me was. I thought for a second, as he handed me a card promoting this website, asking me to tell the hotel about my experience. My answer was that he stood out the most to me. I was going to rate this hotel badly because of its many housekeeping and front desk issues that need to be adressed, but I could not let Anas's efforts be wasted. Something peculiar I noticed was that I never saw any management at or near the front desk. My problem could have been resolved much quicker had there been a manager to assist me when I walked down from the room. Just a sidebar, valet was friendlyand welcoming, Todd English P.U.B was exciting and just awesome, and people around the hotel are really friendly! I wish I could have experenced this without any issues.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marrfnrams
Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is my first time writing a review like this. I looked at some of the past reviews to get an idea of how it should look, and I was truly shocked at what some people have written about the hotel. It leads me to believe that it is just false. I own a couple Holiday Inns and I was tempted to steal some of the lovely staff away from this hotel and offer them double! Out of the 100+ hotels that I have stayed at, this was the most memorable experience I have had. I am a strong believer in hotel guest-friendly atmosphere. What I mean by this can simply be seen at the Westin;however, it all begins with the front desk staff. They are the face of the hotel. When I walked in, I could feel the energizing, fun, and all around welcoming atmosphere being radiated from the front desk. I was beamed with smiles the entire time. I had the pleasure to be checked in by Anas. His personality, gentle voice, and constant smiling really lifted my spirits. We had a fun conversation about Pharmacy and Neuropharmacology; I was shocked to find out that a front desk agent had so much medical knowledge. The few times I had issues with my stay, Anas was thrilled to not only restore my stay to how great it was before, but make it better. He even walked up with me to make sure I liked the new view of my room ater I complained about the first one so that I would not have to walk back down. I had the pleasure to check-out with the wonderful young man that I checked in with. BUT, I did not just get to check out with Anas; Karishma, the manager, was working next to him. Associate-Associate interaction and chemistry is just as important as Associate-Guest interaction, in my humble opinion. These two made check-out quite enjoyable. They both were constantly smiling, which rubbed off on me a little. One of them would say something to me and the other would add in and joke about it. These two are true superstars in service and atmosphere set-up terms. It was really nice to see the hotel can set up such a friendly enviroment at the front desk. The few things that went slightly wrong with my stay were basically completely forgotten by the time I walked out the front door. I definitely give this hotel and its impeccable service and staff a 5/5. Hopefully, I will get to return on a more personal enjoyment visit.

Room Tip: The even numbered room past 20ish have the best view in my opinion.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Michael P
Mark N, General Manager at The Westin Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Dear Michael P,

On behalf of The Westin Birmingham, I would like to warmly thank you for your wonderful and positive comments – we appreciate you taking time to post such comments. Moreover, we were so proud of everything stated in your review that we personally shared your comments with the entire staff. Thank you for taking time to put a smile on our faces as we did with you.

Thank you again for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed March 18, 2013

First, let me start by saying how excited I was to hear of the Westin being build in my hometown of Birmingham. I am having a destination wedding in November and was looking into having an engagement celebration at The Westin early summer. I began contacting the Westin back in August 2012. After a few emails with various employee (catering, assistants), I was instructed to complete a RPF online and that I would be contacted in the Fall for a tour. Well, that did not happen. I also directly contacted the hotel inquiring about a wedding coordinator or event planner. No information was provided. I assumed with the construction of this new property that some transitions had to be made and I decided to wait until opening before I followed up with anyone. My fiance and I, along with our parents, decided to make a visit to the Westin last weekend and was immediately blown away! The decor is modern and elegant. We were in love! We were approached by a nice employee who listened to our story and offered to give us an impromptu tour. He was extremely compassionate and apologetic that we had not received a follow-up call/email regarding a tour and questions that we may have regarding our event. I left my card with all contact information and was told someone would contact me within the next business day. NO contact made as of yet. I have emailed the contact that I was given at their sister hotel, The Sheraton. No response. I also completed an updated RPF. On the website, it states that you should be contacted by a representative within one day. Well, it has been seven. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise. Although, this hotel is gorgeous; the lack of attention to customers really shed a negative light for me as well as my family. If the property is booked then a mere email stating that would be more than enough but not responding at all is unacceptable. With that being said, if the process to inquire about an event is this taxing I can only imagine what it is like to host an event there. Being disappointed is an understatement. I would like to thank the nice employee, Brian for his assistance and going above and beyond to make us feel welcomed.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear J2B_2013,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry to hear of your experience and apologize that there was no immediate follow up. However, I am delighted that our office was able to recently connect with you to discuss your matter further. Online reviews are great means to highlight areas for improvement, gain insightful information, and correct our faults. I am happy that we were able to do so in your situation. Moreover, we are excited to have the opportunity to celebrate your engagement at The Westin Birmingham!

We value each opportunity to delight your senses and look forward to additional opportunities to strengthen and expand our relationship.

Warmest Regards