“Truly Impressive”

The Westin Birmingham
Ranked #20 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is my first time writing a review like this. I looked at some of the past reviews to get an idea of how it should look, and I was truly shocked at what some people have written about the hotel. It leads me to believe that it is just false. I own a couple Holiday Inns and I was tempted to steal some of the lovely staff away from this hotel and offer them double! Out of the 100+ hotels that I have stayed at, this was the most memorable experience I have had. I am a strong believer in hotel guest-friendly atmosphere. What I mean by this can simply be seen at the Westin;however, it all begins with the front desk staff. They are the face of the hotel. When I walked in, I could feel the energizing, fun, and all around welcoming atmosphere being radiated from the front desk. I was beamed with smiles the entire time. I had the pleasure to be checked in by Anas. His personality, gentle voice, and constant smiling really lifted my spirits. We had a fun conversation about Pharmacy and Neuropharmacology; I was shocked to find out that a front desk agent had so much medical knowledge. The few times I had issues with my stay, Anas was thrilled to not only restore my stay to how great it was before, but make it better. He even walked up with me to make sure I liked the new view of my room ater I complained about the first one so that I would not have to walk back down. I had the pleasure to check-out with the wonderful young man that I checked in with. BUT, I did not just get to check out with Anas; Karishma, the manager, was working next to him. Associate-Associate interaction and chemistry is just as important as Associate-Guest interaction, in my humble opinion. These two made check-out quite enjoyable. They both were constantly smiling, which rubbed off on me a little. One of them would say something to me and the other would add in and joke about it. These two are true superstars in service and atmosphere set-up terms. It was really nice to see the hotel can set up such a friendly enviroment at the front desk. The few things that went slightly wrong with my stay were basically completely forgotten by the time I walked out the front door. I definitely give this hotel and its impeccable service and staff a 5/5. Hopefully, I will get to return on a more personal enjoyment visit.

Room Tip: The even numbered room past 20ish have the best view in my opinion.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Michael P
Mark N, General Manager at The Westin Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Dear Michael P,

On behalf of The Westin Birmingham, I would like to warmly thank you for your wonderful and positive comments – we appreciate you taking time to post such comments. Moreover, we were so proud of everything stated in your review that we personally shared your comments with the entire staff. Thank you for taking time to put a smile on our faces as we did with you.

Thank you again for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed March 18, 2013

First, let me start by saying how excited I was to hear of the Westin being build in my hometown of Birmingham. I am having a destination wedding in November and was looking into having an engagement celebration at The Westin early summer. I began contacting the Westin back in August 2012. After a few emails with various employee (catering, assistants), I was instructed to complete a RPF online and that I would be contacted in the Fall for a tour. Well, that did not happen. I also directly contacted the hotel inquiring about a wedding coordinator or event planner. No information was provided. I assumed with the construction of this new property that some transitions had to be made and I decided to wait until opening before I followed up with anyone. My fiance and I, along with our parents, decided to make a visit to the Westin last weekend and was immediately blown away! The decor is modern and elegant. We were in love! We were approached by a nice employee who listened to our story and offered to give us an impromptu tour. He was extremely compassionate and apologetic that we had not received a follow-up call/email regarding a tour and questions that we may have regarding our event. I left my card with all contact information and was told someone would contact me within the next business day. NO contact made as of yet. I have emailed the contact that I was given at their sister hotel, The Sheraton. No response. I also completed an updated RPF. On the website, it states that you should be contacted by a representative within one day. Well, it has been seven. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise. Although, this hotel is gorgeous; the lack of attention to customers really shed a negative light for me as well as my family. If the property is booked then a mere email stating that would be more than enough but not responding at all is unacceptable. With that being said, if the process to inquire about an event is this taxing I can only imagine what it is like to host an event there. Being disappointed is an understatement. I would like to thank the nice employee, Brian for his assistance and going above and beyond to make us feel welcomed.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear J2B_2013,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry to hear of your experience and apologize that there was no immediate follow up. However, I am delighted that our office was able to recently connect with you to discuss your matter further. Online reviews are great means to highlight areas for improvement, gain insightful information, and correct our faults. I am happy that we were able to do so in your situation. Moreover, we are excited to have the opportunity to celebrate your engagement at The Westin Birmingham!

We value each opportunity to delight your senses and look forward to additional opportunities to strengthen and expand our relationship.

Warmest Regards

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I was there for a two day convention, and the hotel had not yet been open a full month even. The Sheraton next door (both connected to the convention center) is older but still has a very nice lobby. Other than a very minor case of food poisoning from the convention (of which I was not the only one - from the salad) this was nice. The text-for-car valet system was not working right at first, room service was a mess (three trips up to get me fries?!), and the phone operators are at the Sheraton and hadn't yet remembered that the Westin next door rang to them, too, so they transferred me to the wrong valet after the text didn't work. However, the staff overall was very nice and helpful trying to make it all right.

Room Tip: Make sure to be a Starwood Preferred Guest to get a better room - many rooms are set aside in better...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Mark N, General Manager at The Westin Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear NYCAngels,

Thank you for posting your feedback from your visit with us. The room service troubles you encountered during your stay are not typical of the service we currently offer, and I regret that there were many setbacks. Through changes in our processes, improvements have been made to correct different challenges like the ones you experienced. With this said, I hope you will visit our friendly and helpful staff again.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

The staff went way out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed for my husbands birthday. From the parking valet, baggage people and especially the concierge...perfect all the way around. We are so glad we stayed here. We will be staying again!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Beautiful hotel. Exciting new up and coming area of birmingham. Russell was very informative about the areas restaurants. Eddie was also very helpful as well. The rest of the staff was awesome too. The lobby bar was nice, quiet and laid back. Room service was punctual and delicious. Two thumbs up!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank abertella

Dear abertella,

Thank You so much for the two thumbs up! We appreciate your comments and look forward to servicing you again.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

The Valet service was wonderful!! We loved that you could text them and have a approximate time for your car to be brought around. The only problem we had was one of our rooms didnt get cleaned, and our price got screwed up on breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I recently stayed at the new Westin which as only been opened for a couple of weeks. It is nice because everything is new which makes for immaculate carpets and furnishings, but there are some service issues that need some attention. For about $200/ night it was strange to be asked if I would like to forego any housekeeping and get a small ( like $5) credit or extra Starwood points. The whole point of staying a the more upscale properties should be about the service as well. That said, I was there for three nights and on my last night, the coffee bar was not refreshed, and the bathroom got a towel refresh but nothing more. Food service was another issue. While the food was very good pricing for the same items varied day to day and from restaurant to room service irrespective of all additional room service charges. I pointed this out each day and nothing was ever done. The only restaurant is Todd English's Pub which is small and has a very limited menu and the service is very uneven. A coffee bar in the lobby was not yet opened. The location is somewhat remote, so if you don't have a car, there is no other dining choice nearby.
It is understandable that some issues will arise but I can't rate this property higher just because it's new. When the service issues improve it will certainly be better than average.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank onionryder

Dear onionryder,

Thank you for the great feedback you have provided. This level of detail is important for us so we know exactly how we can improve for future experiences.

In the meantime, please allow me to address a couple of your concerns. Please know that whenever possible, we provide every guest with the option of participating in the “Make a Green Choice” program. Conserving water, energy and other resources is rewarding for you and great for the environment. We offer incentives to our guests at checkout for each night you decline housekeeping (except day of departure). A difference in one night of making a green choice can help save water, conserve energy, and other resources.

We appreciate you taking time to experience and review the Todd English P.U.B. With more than 50 comfort food items (including a raw bar, brunch options, and favorites like burgers and tacos) and 100+ craft & boutique beers from around the globe, the restaurant strives to provide something for everyone’s taste; nonetheless, we are sorry to hear that the menu did not meet your liking.

I appreciate the comments that you have shared as a recent guest and although we did not exceed your expectations this time, we certainly look forward to the possibility of your return.