“Finally A Good Option In Birmingham, AL”

The Westin Birmingham
Ranked #17 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I travel to Birmingham often for business and was pleasantly surprised to find a new hotel. I generally stay at the Sheraton which is in the same family and across the street from the Westin. The Sheraton is a huge convention hotel that needs updating although with its size I doubt it will ever feel comfortable. The Westin, which will probably be considered a 4 Star hotel, is brand new and the staff go out of their way to make you feel welcome. The rooms are nice, the gym has brand new equipment and there is a decent restaurant. Now as for Todd English's restaurant - a few comments. The space is huge. I had dinner the first night at about 6:30 right after work. My main comment is that the music is too loud. If you are with a group of people you will have issues hearing each other. If you are traveling alone on business and want to relax- I found it too intrusive to do so. At a breakfast meeting the next morning, although the music was not as loud, it was again intrusive. I have been to Todd English's restaurants before and the food here was good. My dinner - the healthy option of salmon was a bit too salty...if you are serving a healthy option is should not be overwhelmingly salty. My breakfast was great although not exactly what I ordered. I did not point that out to the server who was trying very hard to please. I assume the kinks in the restaurant will be worked out. Overall, I would highly recommend the hotel for a visit to Birmingham. It will be even nicer when all of the shops and restaurants planed for the area are open.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Mark N, General Manager at The Westin Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Dear Stephanie H,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking time to provide us with feedback about your stay, and recommending the hotel to prospective guests.

There are newer reviews for The Westin Birmingham

Reviewed March 1, 2013

My sister and I stayed in this newly opened hotel last week. It is an excellent hotel with most luxurious rooms and "Heavenly beds". The staff were exceptionally courteous and welcoming. Pamela, Dominique, Sharday, Willie, Eugene, Ralph, Devon and Russell. Nothing was too much trouble and we thoroughly appreciated their professionalism and caring. We were overwhelmed with the litlle personal farewell notes, the Westin candle and the general attention to detail. This hotel deserves to do well.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 26, 2013

My wife surprised me with concert tickets for Valentines Day, my job was to book a room. Since I am a frequent traveler I have accumulated lots of points and thought it was a good opportunity to burn some. I tried the Sheraton first, having stayed there before but they were full. They transferred me to the Westin which I was unaware of. We drove down and pulled in Friday afternoon and from that moment we got out of the car till we pulled away Sunday morning all I can say is WOW! I have never had a more pleasurable stay in a hotel EVER. After we learned that the hotel had just opened we expected some possible kinks but it was just the opposite. The staff was friendly, courteous, eager to please, and genuinely engaging. Not one employee was too busy to smile and say hello and welcome. The evening before the concert we hit the P.U.B. which is a bar/restaurant in the lobby of the hotel. I expected it to be packed, and it was, but the bar-staff did not miss a beat. I was able to sample several beers that I now love based upon the bartenders recommendations and the smiles and hospitable attitude continued until it was show time. We had planned on going out after but because our experience was so favorable I said "let's go back to the P.U.B.!!" and dragged our friends back with us. The next morning we decided to try our luck one more time and did brunch before we left. Again, top notch food and service, all the way! I regret I can not remember our servers name but she was amazing and was could not have treated us better. I know I am now gushing but I have traveled as a defense contractor to just about every corner of the world and all the while there is a hidden gem right in our own back yard. Keep up the great work Westin, my only regret will be that your continued success will keep us from ever getting another reservation because you are full!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Hubby and I stayed to check out the new hotel in town and celebrate Valentine's Day. The property itself is in pristine condition (due to the fact it's newly opened) - and all the guest areas are beautiful - the lobby was nicely decorated - great front desk staff, and lobby bartender was exceptionally helpful and made excellent cocktails.

Our room was on the 9th floor - all the room amenities you expect from a Westin - great bedding and bathroom - comfortable and good sized. Our view, however, was not anything I'd want to look at if you were staying for more than a night (it overlooked the air-conditioning machinery and another building across the street) - I'd ask for more of a city view - even if that meant looking at the freeway through town!.

Our only disappointment was the size of the pool area - the surrounding deck is nice enough with cabanas and there will be a bar outside - also some couch/lounge seating - BUT the size of the space and the actual size of the pool are TOO SMALL! Come on Westin - you could have claimed the top spot in town for this - but you didn't think big enough!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark N, General Manager at The Westin Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear accurate_one,

Thank you for taking time to experience our newest Westin property and for writing a review about your stay. The popularity of the Westin brand seems to have been demonstrated during your stay, which included your enjoyable check-in process and the comfort of our Heavenly bed and beddings. We understand that the pool did not meet your expectations, but I am happy to hear that your overall experience was satisfactory. I appreciate the comments that you have shared with us and we certainly look forward to your return.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Great place for business or family. The staff really makes the hotel and the building was very nice as well. My wife left something in the car that was valet parked and the attendant located the item and provided it with a smile. As a family we had several pieces of luggage and the attendant was so helpful. The kids did not like the food in the restaurant and the staff provided a solution that pleased my wife and kids. Great place to stay. Awesome.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Mark N, General Manager at The Westin Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Dear Michael H,

Thank you for providing such a wonderful review about the hotel and the individuals that made your time with us special. We hope to have the opportunity to make your stay special again in the near future.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed here two nights this past weekend for a family event and we were pleasantly surprised with a gorgeous hotel. The entire staff was very professional and helpful; we were greeted by the Director of operations and made us feel welcome. My room was very clean as well as the guest areas. We had a drink at the bar and the bartender “Ralph” was awesome. We also went to the restaurant and the food was outstanding, the ambiance was unique. I will definitely go back to the Westin and I can say that is the best hotel I have stayed in Alabama.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Alejandra T

Thank you Alejandra T for reviewing The Westin Birmingham.

I am happy to hear that your time with us was refreshing. Moreover, I am happy that our staff was able to make an indelible impression of professionalism and friendliness.

We look forward to having you (and your family) with us again.

Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night with my husband, 4yo son, and 8 month old girl on the way back home to Atlanta. Gorgeous hotel lobby and beautifully decorated and spacious rooms! I definitely didn't feel like I was in Birmingham. They have a great restaurant downstairs which had plenty of choices for the entire family. The staff is very friendly and accommodating - and helped us out when we had a slight issue with the parking deck. Definitely will return here again!

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank TraciJD05
Mark N, General Manager at The Westin Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Dear TraciJD05,

I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience at our hotel. Our goal is to have you leave feeling better than when you've arrived, and it seems as though we've accomplished this. Thank you for posting a wonderful review.

We can’t wait to have you and your family join us again.