“Anniversary Dinner”

Highlands Bar & Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Highlands Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 968 Restaurants in Birmingham
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 20th Street South
Reviewed December 19, 2013

My husband and I went here for our anniversary dinner. The service was incredible as well as our meal. We will definitely go back soon!

Reviewed December 8, 2013

I ate here on a business trip with three of my colleagues and we all enjoyed our meal. I had the kale salad as a starter, the tuna for a main course and creme brulee for dessert. When I told the waiter I don't like to taste alcohol in my drinks, he suggested he could make me a "French martini," which I loved. Everything from the service to the food was top-notch!

Reviewed November 27, 2013

Dining at Highlands is always a real treat! When we walked in the door we were greeted by David, the general manager, who always has a smile and a really warm welcome. He seated us in the bar area where our server was Brian. Brian was an impeccable host, and extremely knowledgeable about all of the dishes offered as well as the wine pairings. We shared the appetizer scallops muniere which were incredible. We ordered entrees of the seared Gulf tuna and the pork loin stuffed with cornbread and bacon and served over stone ground grits. Brian brought us three wines to taste before we settled on the two we liked best. Fresh brewed coffee followed the meal that my wife proclaimed was like "dessert in a cup".

If one loves wonderful food and impeccable service this is the best place in town. The prices are very reasonable for a restaurant of this caliber. We will continue going back for more.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

On our first night ever in Birmingham we ate here, and I am glad we did. A quick look around the dining room tells you that this is where the local old money comes.

Service by Mark was superb. I started with a Pecan Old Fashioned that simply wowed me! So much, that I had two. The same, but definitely different.

For apps we had the carpaccio and the grits. I've never had better carpaccio for sure, but I must say that my own grits better suit my preferences. Just a bit of bragging, I'm not saying that theirs aren't good!

In between apps and dinner I decided to have some oysters and force one upon my daughter. They were fresh, clean and good. She didn't care for them. Go figure. The first person to eat an oyster was a brave dude!

Her lamb chops, substituted for the lamb shank that ran out, were truly delicious, and her side of cauliflower, brussel sprout and new potatoes gratin rocked. Then we have the one weak point of dinner. I ordered the pork tenderloin rolled around a filling, all of which was a bit too dry (being the end of the night) and simply not as tasty as it should have been. To his credit, Mark offered to bring something else, but I have a hard time to accept this when the dish is just over the edge. Had it been terrible I would have, but that wasn't the case.

In all, a great experience with wonderful food. When we return it will be the go-to place.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Highlands is always a wonderful special occasion restaurant. My husband and I always enjoy the livelier atmosphere in the bar area. Food was outstanding.