“Superb Local Foods In French Style”

Highlands Bar & Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Highlands Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 968 Restaurants in Birmingham
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 20th Street South
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Friendly and well-trained staff seated us promptly. Atmosphere was very open and friendly. My casual dress was acceptable - though most were in suits and lbd. The house Pinot Noir Au Bon Climat “Highlands Cuvée”, Santa Barbara was very good. The Beef Carpaccio with Shaved Parmesan, Arugula and Horseradish Sauce was a perfect blend of flavors - the beef was extremely tasty and moist. A surprising Alabama delicacy I have never seen on any menu - Alabama Paddlefish Caviar on Buckwheat Pancake,Crème Fraîche, Farm Egg and Radish is such a refreshing appetizer and not to be missed. The grouper was good, but missing perfection. Ask for the Crème brûlée ( not always on the menu). Also recommend the stone ground grits if you're not from around here. Truly remarkable game-changer for Birmingham, do not visit the city without a visit !

Reviewed June 19, 2013

This restaurant is excellent, but it is very high brow and they want to make sure that you know it by the prices.

I had no complaints except that when I left, I had to go get a cheeseburger, cause I was starving!

Oh yeah- and it was 1200 bucks for 8 people! Bring 2 credit cards just in case.

Very loud too.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

We were recently in Birmingham for my niece's memorial service (she had recently died from cancer), and my brother I wanted to have an uplifting evening with our families, and chose Highland's Bar and Grill. We saw that it was rated #1 on Trip Advisor (usually a good sign), and we were fortunate to receive some assistance in getting a reservation for 5 on short notice. Having eaten wonderful meals in over 30 countries, I have to say this was one of the best meals we have ever had. The service was impeccable, prompt, helpful and courteous. At the waiter's suggestion, we tried several appetizers, and each selected a different main course to share and sample. The baked oysters were some of the best I have ever eaten, and the quail appetizer was simply divine. The kitchen made a special braised rabbit risotto for my wife and I, while my brother had duck, his wife had salmon and our daughter had the grouper. The flavors and texture was simply divine. For desert we tried the strawberry tart, crème brulee and chocolate cake (which was unfortunately a bit too salted). I can only say this was one of the best meals we have experienced, the service pacing for the courses could not have been better. This is a restaurant that truly deserves its #1 rating!

1  Thank Tallahassee-Bob
Reviewed May 24, 2013

We were looking for a place to take our my husband's daughter for her graduation. I have never even been to Birmingham and so we had no idea where to go. We found Highlands on tripadvisor. We did not arrive until 0930 after he graduation which was the exact time for our reservation. We were greeted warmly and seated right away. They brought us water right away and several waiters spoke with us, discussed menu and made suggestions. One of our diners was pint sized and they made special meal for her, even going next door to their sister restaurant so they could make her french fries. Our group had ribeyes, swordfish, duck, shrimp, oysters, porkbelly, grits, the cornbread and then bread pudding for dessert. All was wonderful as was the service and their house wine was good too. We were not rushed though we were one of the last tables on a week night. Menu changes daily and all ingredients are fresh, the menu is not extensive but rather focused and adventurous. No shorts in dining room but otherwise you will see dressed up and business casual.

1  Thank bizbach
Reviewed May 23, 2013

My mom and I were in town and did not have a lot of knowledge of the restaurants, but we stumbled upon Highland's online and then decided to go. What a good decision. We walked in, were seated immediately (we'd made reservations) and were taken care of the entire time! The waiter was super attentive and polite, without being around all the time. They have a good drink menu and have some really good non-alcoholic drinks, as well. Their menu is seasonal, I believe, and changes fairly often, but I couldn't tell exactly. I had beef cheek, which I had not had before, but was perfectly prepared. My mom had a vegetarian risotto and it was delicious too. We had 2 desserts- bread pudding and a peanut butter chocolate mousse with homemade ice cream. It is certainly a nice restaurant, but they are very gracious and it is not stuffy at all. 100% recommended! Also, they valet park right beside the restaurant because it's pretty tight parking in downtown.