“Delicious food, friendly staff, amazing atmosphere”
Review of Rojo

Rojo
Ranked #41 of 947 Restaurants in Birmingham
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Auburn, AL
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious food, friendly staff, amazing atmosphere”
Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

Some friends and I were traveling through Alabama and stopped here to eat some Latin food. I have to say this is now one of my favorite restaurants and plan to come back next time I get a chance!

The food was very well prepared, the staff was helpful in accommodating first time visitors, and the atmosphere was informal but very well laid out. I would highly recommend!

Madison, AL
“Nice Joint”
Reviewed December 5, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

We visited Rojo on a whim as we like to try places off the beaten path. It is a joint that serves a nice mix of food. Our party included 4 adults and 4 teenage boys. Though we had a variety of tastes, all palates were satisfied. The place is a joint in that you walk up to the counter; place your order and then find a table. We were there on a Saturday evening so it was quite busy. We arrived early enough to grab three tables for our party. We were indoors but the patio looked pleasant also. The wait staff and bar keeps were great. Almost everyone ordered off the Mexican menu. All around the food and desserts were great. We had the shrimp quesadilla and the mediteranean quesadilla. My 16 year old said the Chango was one of the better desserts he ever had - in fact; he liked it so much he never offered a taste. The Black Berry cobbler was pretty good also. So if you are looking for something different. Check out Rojo. Oh, parking can be at a premium and the order line will back up as the evening progresses. A good testament to it's popularity.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank davidbaddison
Birmingham, Al USA
“Loud, Dirty, Long wait, Food less than mediocre.”
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

We live in the neighborhood and used to go to Rojo on a regular basis. We haven't been in a while because we have been trying out all the great new restaurants downtown. We went back tonight and I don't think I'll be back again.The place is really going downhill. It is really dirty and loud. I waited 40 minutes ( and it was not crowded when we got there) for what was advertised as a salad that was really a bowl if grated cheese with some lettuce and a few shreds of chicken. My clothes smell of burnt grease now too. Yuck.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Rosaadriana
Huntsville, Alabama
“Great food and atmosphere”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Had lunch here at the recommendation of a friend. It was everything she said. The out door patio was happy and peaceful. The shrimp quesadilla was perfect. the shrimp were tender and went well with the salsa. I also had the black bean and corn soup which was spicy and perfect - I had expected a typical bean soup - thick and creamy. However, this was brothy and so flavorful. Excellent! Look forward to eating there again when I am in Birmingham.

• Visited September 2013
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Fun mexican food in a classy southern neighborhood”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We went to this restaurant after reading that it is dog-friendly. Thank goodness for GPS, since we never would have found it without one. The atmosphere was great, and the food was quite good. There is a nice bar indoors, and sitting on the patio with our dog wasn't a problem. Although we read that parking can be problematic, we parked across the park, which shortened our walk. The fish tacos weren't the best I've ever had, but my son's quesadilla looked pretty great! And fresh margueritas were super.

• Visited July 2013