“Old Fashioned New York Style Steakhouse”

Shula's Steak House
Ranked #106 of 947 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Wine Bar
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Highway 31
Description: Shula’s Steak House is the classic American steakhouse: a fine dining white tablecloth restaurant. In order to be the best steak house, Don Shula followed the same principles that made him the winningest coach in football history - select the best talent available and give them the resources they need to succeed. In the restaurant business, that meant serving Premium Black Angus Beef® steaks, the best beef money can buy and providing our restaurant team with the best training. In terms of our restaurant team, he ran it like a sports team. In sports, one's performance is based on results - either you win or lose. The same is true for our restaurant team. Our managers are called Head Coaches and they have the authority to manage the team as they see fit to ensure repeated winning seasons. Our custom center cuts of Premium Black Angus Beef® steaks accompanied with our aging process make up our award winning SHULA CUT ® , the best beef money can buy. Our custom cuts and aging process are the highest in the industry. You won't find a better steak anywhere. Our restaurant is themed after the 1972 Miami Dolphins' "Perfect Season" - the only team in NFL history to finish a season undefeated. The menus are hand painted on an official NFL game football. At Shula's Steak Houses, one of the featured entrees is the 48-Ounce Porterhouse. Those who finish it join Shula's 48-Ounce Club, which currently has more than 26,000 members. I invite you to experience Shula's Steak House, where we only offer the biggest and the best. Shula’s Steak House Birmingham is a proud recipient of Wine Spectator’s 2011 Award of Excellence. With over 150 wines in our collection and a knowledgeable staff, we can help you select the perfect pairing to compliment your meal.
Savannah
“Old Fashioned New York Style Steakhouse”
Reviewed March 13, 2007

This restaurant is without a doubt an old fashioned, New York style steakhouse, very similar to the former Coach and Six in Atlanta, GA (does anyone remember that place?) The food is just above average and everything on the menu is very heavy. It is housed in the lobby of the Wynfrey Hotel which was posh in the 80's but has seen better days. I was a guest in the hotel and I decided I would give it a shot. There was a menu in the room and it stated they served a 2-3lb Maine lobster (market price) I called downstairs and asked what that price was and the manager stated $125.00, and then she said no, $87.00. Being a fan of lobster, decided I would spring for it. I ordered the lobster, stuffed baked potato and asparagus along with 2 henikens and the bill came to a whopping $200.00 with tip. Turned out she had misquoted the price on the lobster. The meal in no way, shape or form was worth the cost. Beware, everything is ala carte. The atmosphere is cold with everything painted black and very unflattering, glaring, too bright spots. The restaurant was completely empty the night I was there. Service was OK, but this restaurant is ridiculously over priced and I will not be returning. Sorry Don!

A TripAdvisor Member
“Best Meal I've Ever Had”
Reviewed March 29, 2005

My husband and I ate at Shula's Steakhouse for our anniversary. It was by far the best meal we have ever eaten. Everyone on the staff was very courteous and friendly. The rate at which they served the food was perfect, meaning they didn't bring your next course out until you were finished with the first, and neither did you have to wait long on the food. The food itself was exquisite! The steaks were so tender they practically melted in your mouth. The romaine lettuce they use in their salads was cool and crisp with just the right amount of dressing. The chocolate lava cake was decadently rich and moist. If you're a middle class family like us, you need to save up for this meal, but it is more than worth it. We plan on making this restaurant our traditional anniversary dinner place.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member