“Outstanding Dessert ”

Ranked #2 of 997 Restaurants in Birmingham
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 21, 2016 via mobile

Yes the cocktails were delicious, as were the lunch plates we ordered. However, the star of the show was the dessert. All of the options looked wonderful. We decided on a chocolate caramel tart with nuts. I'm not the biggest chocolate fan, but this was outstanding. Perfect texture, just enough caramel to offset the chocolate, and there was a slight bourbon glaze that was really delicious. Would have returned for dinner if possible.

Reviewed December 19, 2016 via mobile

Must recommend the scallop dish. Brilliantly cooked or at perfection!
A Pinot grigio matches well with this.

Reviewed December 18, 2016 via mobile

This is a great place to eat that is reasonable. Just know they don't take reservations, so you will have to get there at the right time.

Reviewed December 13, 2016

You can always count on a good meal at Chez Fon Fon. The seasonal themed menu isn't overwhelming to those who aren't quite sure of French cuisine. I've always had impeccable service at both the bar and tables. There is a courtyard out back that I look forward to experiencing. It can get a tad loud inside on busy nights, but such is expected in an older building. They do not accept reservations, so plan to wait if you don't arrive at opening. I don't feel as if there is any pretentiousness when I enter, just good people wanting me to enjoy good food.

Reviewed December 1, 2016

OK. I admit it. I am old. And I hate dark, loud restaurants. My wife and I visited Chez Fon Fon on, of all times, our 42nd wedding anniversary. The only thing romantic about this place is that the lighting is turned way low and there was a tiny candle lit at our table. However, we were unable to carry on a quiet conversation because of the noise level in the place. We had to yell at one another to be heard. In fact, everyone in the place was yelling at one another, it seemed. The decibel level was probably similar to the noise level of a jet at takeoff.
I really can't tell you what is on the menu because there was not enough light in the place to read a menu. I couldn't make out one word. Luckily for us, my wife has a flashlight app on her phone. Anyway, we had heard that the cheeseburgers were outstanding. My wife ordered that with an order of fries and I ordered a spinach and mushroom omelet. A rather strange meal for a marriage anniversary!? But the food was excellent and our server Miranda was superb. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone that doesn't like noisy places. This place is really noisy. I was so glad to get out of there. The only other places that I found this noisy are PF Chang's and the Cheesecake Factory.