“Excellent food but minor irritations” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chez FON FON

Chez FON FON
Ranked #3 of 937 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Boca Raton, Florida
“Excellent food but minor irritations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

Disappointed that reservations are not accepted. Came nevertheless and were initially happy to be informed our wait would only be "a few minutes" - this proved to be poor expectation management as we waited rather more tha this, though thankfully not to the point where might just have walked out.

We thought the menu choices would suit us and they did. However, the portion sizes for the appetisers were too small. The smoked trout was delicious and nicely presented, but the portion was minuscule. The steak tartare was also small and this time, despite giving the server a heads up, it was inadequately spicy - as suggested, accompanying sauces should be provided so diners can spice to their own taste. This was necessary as the kitchen version was bland, and room temperature when chilled seems better.

It was irritating to have to ask for bread as this should have been offered routinely.

The main courses of modules and the turkey sandwich were excelllent but could have been enhanced by better presentation.

One might have had the cheeses to follow but for having seen a server selecting and placing portions for another diner onto a plate with her fingers and hands - not particularly hygienic.

So,overall, the excellent food was let down by the other noted points

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank David G

Montgomery, Alabama
“Ooolala and lovin' it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

The first thing to remember about Chez Fon Fon is that you cannot expect to be magically transported to France. The aesthetic is mostly authentic bistro, but the prevailing boisterous atmosphere is pure Birmingham, Alabama. Otherwise, be prepared to have some excellent food, beautifully considered and presented, and well-served by a charming, efficient staff that could teach its French cousins a thing or two.

My partner and I had a drink while we waited about 30 minutes for our table--the restaurant does not take reservations; thus the high-spirited bar area is a great place to hear and see some entertaining things. Once at table, we started with an order of escargots and the charcuterie platter--I highly recommend this high cholesterol/fat, which is meant for two, but will do nicely for four, and a heady, bold and resonalbly-priced 2006 Gigondas. We followed with moules frits and steak frits--the latter ordered rare, as is my custom.

All was good, exceedingly good, as was the scene around us, particularly the couple with two young sons, who seemed to be preparing their brood for a trip to come: talking about France, and pushing the escargots and sautéed trout. Sadly, we had no room for dessert or cheese, and I will now have to go on a severe diet for the next month.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank David B
Toronto
“Amazing in every way”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

Found this place by accident. Ate lunch in the back patio which could have been in Provence. Great tartine with chèvre and tapenade. The moule frites were fantastic and the croque Madame equally so. Too much food to have room for dessert. The coffee was exceptional as well. Our server was attentive and very friendly. We would definitely go back.

• Visited May 2013
Birmingham, Alabama, United States
“Anniversary”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

It was 2009 when I visited for my boyfriend and I's 1 year anniversary f being together. We had such a great time and the food was AMAZING! I know it was a long time ago but from what Ive heard it hasnt changed a bit. My boyfriend at the time is now my husband and we are planning to return on our 1 year wedding anniversary!

1 Thank Ashley P
Rochester, NY
“Terrific Lunch!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

We were driving from New Orleans to Lousiville, KY and this was a great place for a fancy lunch (since we had been in a car for about 5 hours). We were there on a Friday afternoon and were able to sit on the outdoor deck in back. The bread is fresh. I had the shrimp avocado salad with remoulade dressing and it was perfect. The waiter was incredibly funny and helpful. We were served within minutes of our order because we both got the special. We then had enough time to see more of Birmingham. if I ever find myself there again I would totally go back.

• Visited April 2013