“Good Food Bad Pan Handler”
Review of Mellow Mushroom

Mellow Mushroom
Ranked #201 of 977 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Pizza
Reviewed August 6, 2014

Wifey and I love Mellow Mushroom. This trip was not as good as others due to the pan handler who kept talking to us begging for "five or six small dollars" while we dined outside. He was still there when we were served our food by the waiter who did not ask him to leave. The pan handler then went inside and stayed for a while. I guess he was begging in there as well because he was never shown the street. We love the greek salad with their special esperanza (sp?) sauce. We did that with a calzone and small pizza that we enjoyed as well. Its a great place to people watch on weekends but avoid the the loopy Jamaican guy with dirty UAB tee shirt if he approaches you.

Jonathan B, Guest Relations Manager at Mellow Mushroom, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2014

We're very glad you enjoyed your service and food during your last visit with us. It is very disappointing that a panhandler put a damper on your experience. Our staff has been trained to get a manager involved immediately upon seeing anyone panhandling. This clearly did not happen during your visit. Upon reading your message, our management team held a staff meeting to remind our servers and hostesses how to appropriately deal with situations like the one you and your wife encountered during your last visit.

Thanks so much for bringing your problem to our attention. We look forward to seeing you and your wife again soon.

Stay Mellow,

Mellow Mushroom Southside

Reviewed August 4, 2014

This Mellow Mushroom is in a convenient location to pick up take out. Sometimes I wish the pizza wasn't cooked so much because I like the dough not overly crispy, but it is still very good. Love the Greek salad.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

Just wanted a snack and ordered one small Kosmic Karma pizza to share. The waitress had no problem with giving us two plates for this rather small order. Pizza tasted good. Friendly service.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

Had dinner there with family last week. Second time at that location and was impressed both times by the quality of the pizzas. We had the Holy Shitake and the Kosmic Karma this time and both were great. The Shitake is the best mushroom pizza I've had anywhere. The pizzas are a little more expensive than most places but well worth it I think. Give it a try, you'll become a regular.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

Chelsea from the Marriott Hotel from down the street recommended MM if you wanted a pizza out of the cookie cutter box. Instead of driving and trying to find a parking spot on the street you take a stroll up 3 blocks and experience a great pizza. We took her up on the recommendation and walked the 3 blocks. The walk was a bit of an incline up to MM but on the walk back it was downhill all the way, therefore we walked off our meal! The area is filled with restaurants, bars and businesses, if you walk at dusk walk on the sidewalk across from the Marriott.

Take a step back to the 70’s era, a laid-back time where it looks like the employee’s brought their crayons & paints to work! Mellow Mushroom is very colorful and a bit comical. You can sit on the patio, up at the bar, at tables or up in the window seats, no matter where you chose you’ll have something colorful to look at.

Our waitress was as sweet and pleasurable of a person that you could meet. She has been employed with Mellow Mushroom for 5 short years and she loved her job. She is an engaged, attentive “happy to be here and happy to do it employee.” She handled each of her tables timely and each with a genuine “glad you came” attitude.

MM offers gluten-free, 100% natural chicken, steak and shrimp with no additives; no preservatives, no hormones and they also do their part in recycling.
We ordered Small House Pizza Special of 4 over-sized slices of pizza @ $14.99. There was no overbearing red tomato sauce, the crust was nice not chewy and there was a slight sweet flavor with a taste of heat. All of the toppings were fresh and appealing in appearance, what a nice change.
We also ordered a 6-inch Old Jerk Chicken Hoagie with a pickle slice and a bag of chips of your choice @ $6.99. You have a choice of three different breads white, wheat or pita bread. The hoagie was dressed with provolone cheese, lettuce, tomato, chicken chunks and pineapple chunks. The chicken was seasoned to PERFECTION and had a FANTASTIC taste of HOT HEAT and the SWEETNESS from the pineapple that cooled your mouth down. I couldn’t wait for the next and then the next bite until it was all gone. It was good to the “last bite” and I was left wondering if I shouldn’t have ordered a WHOLE hoagie when I looked down and my plate was empty? I am a bit swayed with loving the sweet taste of pineapple on my, but in a sandwich it was over the TOP!

We definitely made EXCELLENT choices in ordering and were very happy that we took the advice of Chelsea. (m mushroom management you need to send Chelsea one of her favorite dishes as she sends customer’s your way.) Our order came to $21.48 + tax (we only drank water.)

I would recommend Mellow Mushroom but be prepared to spend a bit more (if you have a large family) on the price of a pizza (they do cut the splices large so you can make more by cutting them) just remember you are paying for what you GET, good FOOD! I will be glad when Mellow Mushroom comes to a town near me!