“First time at Ocean won't be the last!”
Review of Ocean

Ocean
Reserve with OpenTable
Ocean is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 985 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: Ocean is a fine dining restaurant that offers fresh seafood in an exciting and contemporary atmosphere. The menu features fresh oysters and fish arriving daily from around the world. Recipient of the prestigious AAA Four Diamond Award since 2007 and The Wine Spectator Award since 2007. Voted Best Chef, Wine List and rated 5 stars by the Birmingham News. Locally owned and operated by George Reis. Ocean does not accept ONLINE reservations for parties of 5 or more.
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I've heard about Ocean here in Birmingham for years but tonight was the first time my husband & I actually ate there. We went with another couple because it was Birmingham Restaurant Week and felt it would be a great time to try it out. Although I ordered off of the special menu for Restaurant Week, my husband ordered from the main menu. I have to say that all four of us were very happy with what we ordered. We started out with the fried calamari and fried green tomatoes. My husband said that it was the best calamari he had ever eaten, & I have to say I agree! For the main entree, three of us ordered the salmon dish that had carrot potato & blue cheese gratin and wilted spinach. My salmon was perfectly cooked, and if I could, I would love the recipe for the gratin so I could make it at home! Based on our server's recommendation and promise that he wouldn't be disappointed, my husband ordered the Thai Green Curry Bouillabaisse. He kept saying that he thought it was the best meal he'd ever had! For dessert, peach cobbler with sage ice cream was what was offered with Restaurant Week, and while I was skeptical about sage in ice cream, I admit that it worked well with the peach cobbler, and with the French press coffee, I couldn't have been happier. My husband ordered peaches three ways - peach creme brûlée, peach crisp and peach pound cake and ice cream. He loved it and gave us each a taste as well. All in all, a wonderful dining experience and one where I wonder why we waited so long?

Reviewed August 10, 2013

My husband and I came here for my birthday. The decor, lighting, and atmosphere is very chic and sexy. They offer valet parking or you can park behind the restaurant. We sat in the main dining area and our waiter was great and attentive. The drinks were good and strong. For our appetizer we had the lobster roll which was delicious. My husband had the filet mignon which was tender and cooked perfectly and it came with a warm potato salad which was good, I had the pan seared grouper and cheddar grits which was delicious. This is definitely the place for a romantic evening or night out with friends. We will definitely be back.

Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Good seafood in Birmingham. Nice location downtown. Servers were friendly. Tuna and watermelon appetizer was different but good. Wood grilled salmon was very good. I would eat here again.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

We had our group dinner here. Room was a little crowded but OK. We had a set menu to choose from but the offerings were very good. The food was presented in a quality manor and service was good.
The price is at the higher end if our group price was any indication. I would eat there again for a special occasion if in the area.

Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Ocean is an attractive, well run seafood restaurant in the unlikely inland location of Birmingham. We walked from our nearby hotel in an area called five points which has several restaurants and where there is night time activity. They offer valet parking for those who drive. We had an enthusiastic young waiter named Trey who was knowledgeable, personable and professional. They had with Trey a young trainee. The menu is creative without being fussy, with an emphasis on fresh local ingredients and fresh fish of a wide variety. The menu changes nightly, with some staples remaining. My fav dish was Thai curry bouillabaisse. It is not a precious foodie spot with dabs of this and colors of that , but offers ample portions cooked very well. The price can add up with raw bar, wines, multiple courses, but there is no priced fixed and my daughter only had a sushi roll and a salad and her bill was moderate. I enthusiastically recommend Ocean. It is as good as any restaurant in the South, including New Orleans. Reservations appear essential on weekends and other prime times. Do yourself a favor and ask for a table with Trey.