“Always good oysters!”

Cuisines: American, Greek, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

We stop in on a regular basis for a beer and oysters. We always sit at the bar. It's never a disappointment. They have very few tables available with table service. It is hard to grab a place at bar often but it's definitely worth it.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

The place is not fancy. It is appropriately named, since when you walk in you face the counter of a fish market. We were seated quickly, and the service was pleasant, friendly and attentive.

To say the menu is extensive is an understatement. The assortment of fish on the menu was more than I have ever seen in a restaurant, along with many other entrees. The variety on the menu approaches the "unbelievable".

Had cioppino, filled with shrimp, scallops, mussels, calamari and fish. Spicy tomato broth. Companion had "alligator sausage" and shrimp. "French mussels" in a butter sauce, good quantity of mussels.

This was a unique experience given the physical surroundings and the menu, which is unique. We both ate well for $45!

Reviewed March 17, 2014

22nd st south
Birmingham Al

The Fish Market in downtown Birmingham is a favorite. It's wide selection of menu items is tailored for seafood lovers as well as land lubbers too. The oyster bar is where you find the best tasting oysters and great service. Maryann, Deano and Mo do an awesome job slinging drinks and shucking the salty bivalves.

Some of the favorites on the menu are anything starting with greek island or athenian. The crab claws (sautéed, not fried) are to die for. If you're looking for fresh seafood, see Tim in the market. Hands down, the freshest seafood in town. Snapper, Grouper and Ahi, they've got it!

There's live music on some evenings and lots of choices for adults and children too, all at modest prices.

Urban Cowgill

1  Thank Urban_Cowgill
Reviewed March 12, 2014

The food is good. Waiting in line to place order is not so good. Fish Market uses a semi-cafeteria style where you stand in line to place your order and they then deliver it to your table.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

Let me introduce this review first - there are lots of complaints in it and this is not our norm. We love food, we are very understanding and usually never complain or send plates back or any of that picky stuff. Plus my hubby knows George Sarris through business. BUT we feel we need to share this publicly.

My husband and I love seafood of any kind and have been going to the downtown Fish Market for years. Both of us, on our last 3 visits had disappointing experiences. Enough to put this establishment at the bottom of our top ten lunch choices. It's not out completely because their seafood is definitely tasty fresh - just not tops anymore. What happened? They are sooooo slow for one. It took us 45 minutes yesterday to get our lunch which is too long for the working crowd. We got there at 11:30 so it wasn't prime lunch time yet either. Originally hubby ordered the days special 'panko parmesan crusted cobia' and I ordered sea bass over salad. We also ordered 2 cups of clam chowder to start (to die for chowder!). To begin with, they tell us they are out of Cobia (erase it from your specials then?). Ok so hubby orders grouper over salad. Then the waitress comes back and says they are out of clam chowder. OK that made me sad - especially since we had been there a good 15/20 minutes by then and was HUNGRY. So we order the new "BamBam Shrimp" appetizer. They got that to us eventually and we scarfed it - but would never order it again. It was boring flavor and the remoulade much to be desired. Plus it was 10.95???Really for an appetizer that's a bit heavy. This visit we were still happy to have that in front of us since our meal took so long to hit the table. By the time it came, we had minimal time to enjoy it but guess what? The baked potatoes were not done - so did we want to wait for them to get done or order another side. OK enough is enough on this visit. We just said package it all up to go and give us our ticket. $38 for this experience was way overpriced...plus tip?

We have not ever had that sorry of an experience before - they've been out of certain things but that's exceptable in a fresh seafood place - it happens. We have had very slow service many times. Usually we self-service or oyster bar service and it's a bit faster. Full service we will never do again!!

The atmosphere is old world charm inside of a warehouse...very noisy and very busy. I prefer to eat outside when it is possible. Much calmer!

Taste is rather subjective so I will try to be objective in my review of their food. All items are usually cooked well and everything is fresh. Their rice is basic white rice with no spices at all. If you get Athenian fish it will flavor the bland rice but if you pick it as a side item it's just white rice. My opinion for a greek place? They should try the wonderful wild rice at the pita stop!!
The side choices are more of a southern variety which probably speaks to most of the folks out there. Me, personally, if I am eating grilled fish I don't want fried okra or french fries. Healthier sides are limited to cabbage or broccoli.

Ok we have said enough - not our fav but it's worth a try once in a while.

As far as the actual food. The salad is basic with lots of lettuce, a couple pit-in olives, 2 peppers, and 2 tomatoes. The sea bass is my go-to fish and out of all the times I have had it they have messed up the cooking about 3 times...once under-done and chewy (couldn't eat that one - gag)....2 other times overdone. Their spices even seem off lately. My husband couldn't eat his grouper