“Small, but strong”

Saw’s Soul Kitchen
Ranked #5 of 959 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night
Description: you need to track this place down and add it. Great food in the Avondale district of Birmingham. Their phone is 205-591-1409
Chicago, Illinois
“Small, but strong”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stopped at Saw's based on the reviews, and we weren't disappointed. Don't count on getting one of 3 small tables, as the place is pretty lively. We arrived after 7, and they had already run out of a couple of items. You could say: "poor planning/management" or "it must be that good!" We chose the latter, although we were a bit disappointed they ran out of their specialty potatoes. The food was artery-clogging, but delicious. The kids loved the fried okra and catfish sandwich. The stars were the pulled pork and the pork over grits and greens. Saw's definitely provided one of our best meals on a two week driving trip.

Gardendale, Alabama
“Best chicken sandwich I have ever eaten!”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I am 46 years old and let me tell you- - -I have had my fair share of chicken sandwiches in my lifetime. A friend recommend Saw's Soul Kitchen. I said "sure, let's try it". She went to pick it up and brought it back to the office where we work. I told her to just pick what she thought I would like and bring it back. She brought me back what has to be the best sandwich I have ever tasted. It was called the Sweet Tea Chicken Sandwich. It was a tender breast of chicken, lightly fried, with a few pickles and a savory sauce on it. She brought me back also a side of their cheese grits (we will get to that next). Back to the chicken. The chicken was fried nice and had great color. It had just the right amount of crunch to it and was still hot even though she went to pick it up and brought it back to the office. It was savory, with just the right amount of sweetness to it. It was not overly sweet at all. I was actually sad when the last bite was taken. It was scrumptious. The side of grits were creamy and cheesy and seasoned just right. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Speaking of death......if I was on death row, I can say without a doubt, this sandwich- - along with the cheese grits would be what I would request for my last meal if I was on death row. Seriously. Not joking here. This would superseded my mom's chicken and dressing, or a nice steak any death row last meal day.
All in all- - please don't walk.....run to Saw's. They are truly one of the best places to eat in the Birmingham area.

• Visited July 2013
Midwest
“Southern treat”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

During a recent trip to Birminghand, a colleague asked a local to recommend a uniquely Birmingham place to eat. Without hesitation, Saw's was the recommendation. And a good one it was - a tiny joint with paper towels on the tables, friendly service and amazing food. We tried the greens and pork (served on grits), wings, chicken with white BBQ sauce, sweet potato fries and fried okra. All were outstanding in the down-home sort of way. Portions were huge, too. Will definitely go back on our next trip.

Visited August 2013
Trinity
“Great Hole in the Wall!”
Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

This place reminds me of something you would see on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. Small joint with a decent line and fantastic food. The menu is written on a large chalk board next to the cashier. You walk up place your order, grab your drink and attempt to find a seat. They have about 6 table inside, 2 on the front of the building and then 3 picnic tables down the side. I had the pulled pork, sweet potato fries and the cheese grits. All were great. I do not like spicy foods and should have asked for the sauce on the side. My mistake, but it was still good. Maybe the best sweet potato fries I have ever had. The burgers looked great, large and plump. Well worth the visit!

Brewton, Alabama
“Southern Simple with a twist.”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

This is a small restaurant in the up and coming popular area of Avondale. It is right across from Avondale Brewery which even lets customers bring food over from Saw's and eat outside. We went for Saturday lunch and people were spilling out of the tiny restaurant to eat on picnic tables outside. I had a delicious grilled cheese sandwich with crispy fried dill pickles stuffed inside. My first thought was to remove the pickles but they were a delicious addition. The burgers looked wonderful and the BBQ was a hit at our table as well as the shrimp sandwich. The decor and atmosphere is cool and friendly.

1 Thank Etta707