“Yummy Saturday Brunch”

El Barrio
Ranked #2 of 959 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/45/1641255/restaurant/Downtown/El-Barrio-Birmingham
“Yummy Saturday Brunch”
Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

On Saturdays, El Barrio serves brunch, rather than lunch. The place was packed! Since I was solo that day, I sat at the bar for full menu service. I chose their riff on Shrimp and Grits. The dish had four large shrimp atop a bed of sautéed, roasted peppers and zucchini. It also had Pico de gallo and crema. I wasn't sure I would like the veggies on shrimp and grits, but it was delicious! Full of flavor and just the right amount of spicy.
My only negatives are about the bar seating -- the barstools are really rickety and wobbly! There's also no place for a purse, so you end up trying to balance on the wobbly barstool with your purse hanging on your knee. Despite the barstools, I do recommend El Barrio for its yummy food!

Chicago, Illinois
“The little train that could”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

I stopped in for both lunch and dinner on a recent business trip. El Barrio is a comfortable, woody, casual place. Servers in jeans and t-shirt - friendly. They have a very limited menu and seem to execute fairly well. At lunch I had the soup and salad. For $9 the portion was very small. Soup was good though not real hot. The salad was very plain - lettuce, radish, not much else. At dinner I tried the Tacos al Carbon. The meat was in small cubes and quick cooked on a flat top - as opposed to stips of steak cooked on a grill which I prefer - but had good flavor. Decent tortillas and ok guacamole. The grapefruit margarita was good, though small.

• Visited February 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Always crowded for a reason”
Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

Great food, environment, prices and service. I've never had a negative experience here. I go at least once a month. The wait is never as long as they say it will be.

Talladega, Alabama
“Packed but worth it!”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

If you are trying to find it at night it is easy to miss. Parking & tables were limited. On a Saturday at 6ish people were lined up waiting for a table. The food here was described to us as tex-mex with a touch of carribean. Many items on the small menu had fruit elements (which we avoided). For appetizers we had the queso dip and our dinner partners shared their guacamole, both were great! I had the chorizo meatloaf. We agreed that everything we ordered was good, but mine was the best. The quesadilla, black beans and tostada were also yummy. I would happily go back.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Bamacacher
Reidsville, North Carolina
“Great Food”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

My husband and I are in Birmingham several times a year on business. This is our place to go for Mexican food in downtown. I'm not a big "Mexican" food fan but my husband is. I have to say, this place has won me over. As mentioned in other reviews, the noise level is alittle high but that I attribute to the very high ceiling.
The food is wonderful and the staff very attentive !!

We love these guys. Please try their other restaurant, Trattoria Centrale, formerly ZAZA'S. You can't go wrong.

• Visited November 2013