“Fun atmosphere and fresh food”
Review of El Barrio

El Barrio
Ranked #2 of 968 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/45/1641255/restaurant/Downtown/El-Barrio-Birmingham
Reviewed April 25, 2013

My fiance and I went on a Saturday night to try out for dinner because all of the great reviews we've heard. It definitely lived up to our expectations!
We heard that there could be a wait, so arrived a little before 6:00. All of the tables were already full, so we opted not to wait and sit at the bar to eat. The service was great! The bartenders took time to answer our questions about the dinner menu and even made my fiance a special order jalapeno margarita. We both had the shrimp quesadillas, which we loved. The quesadillas were loaded with shrimp. It was also served with a delicious dipping sauce and salad. It was all very fresh tasting and not greasy at all. We were very satisfied and will be back!

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Tried the crispy chicken and was not disappointed. Good Micro brews and $5 margaritas on special. Not used to paying for chips an salsa, but the it was homemade and tasty. Definitely a go-back place.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

This restaurant is absolutely spectacular!! The service was wonderful and I love the way it's decorated. Overall, my experience was just fabulous! Top restaurant

Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I decided to try a new place and chose this because it had gotten good reviews. It did not disappoint! The atmosphere was fun and cozy. My husband had the chorizo meatloaf and loved it. I had tacos and the salsa they serve with the chips was really great. And to top it off the waitress was so polite and on top of it! Will definitely be going back!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

El Barrio is a little hard to spot as it is in downtown Birmingham (all those one way streets), but look hard because you do not want to miss it! We went early - about 5:00 PM on a Friday night to avoid the crowds, so we were able to get a park. We parked on the street but there are many places to park if you don't mind a little walk. The atmosphere is eclectic and very enjoyable. I had a blood orange margarita and my dinner companion had the regular lime. We enjoyed salsa and chips as we enjoyed people watching on the downtown streets. I had three different types of tacos - these are not your "Taco Bell" tacos - and my companion had a steak taco. GIve it a try, you will enjoy the venue and the food.