“Family Fun while equally educational!”

McWane Science Center
Ranked #3 of 93 things to do in Birmingham
More attraction details
Owner description: Fun and learning never end at McWane Science Center, a nonprofit, hands-on museum and IMAX(R) Dome Theater. Four floors of interactive exhibits celebrate science and wonder - from an amazing collection of dinosaurs to innovative environmental showcases, imaginative early childhood playgrounds, and an awe-inspiring aquarium. The energy and excitement of discovery spring to life through an extensive lineup of science demonstrations performed daily by talented educators. The adventure intensifies in the IMAX(R) Dome Theater, where wide-eyed visitors experience the sights and sounds of breathtaking films on a 5-story-tall screen surrounded by 3 tons of high-intensity speakers.
Reviewed November 8, 2010

My 4 year old grandson was home recently and wanted to go somewhere fun. Tuscaloosa(my home city) does not offer much so I remembered the Mcwane Center & we ventured to Birmingham,Al. The Mcwane Center wasSOHHHH fun. The hands-on activities seemed endless. My grandson's favorite activities was surprisingly, the grocery store area.(where kids harvest and transport their own(plastic) food,work in the grocery store and man their own resteraunt -All Kid sized). He LOVED feeding the Stingrays downstairs and the Giant fish.My favorite area was the shadow wall, and the Mr. Potato Head table.We both loved the weight and water learning centers. In case you get hungry-The food is tasty and inexpensive) also they have snack machines on thebottom floor-near the water exhibits.Please know that The Imax Theatere never disappoints. For some inexpensive educational fun, I strongly reccommend the McWane Center.

2  Thank dacious

Reviewed October 17, 2010

The McWane center was really nice when it first opened but thing have gotten stale the last 2 years. We have a family membership that we are letting expire because there are never enough new things to see or do. If you visit once a year it might hold your children's interest otherwise just skip it.

Reviewed July 7, 2010

It literally has everything! Basically it's a children's science museum. It was 3 or 4 floors of above ground exhibits. These exhibits cover dinosaurs ( with a dino dig and a paleontology lab), animals (lots of games and videos), weather (a tornado you can touch and the kids get to make their own weather forecast!), etc. The exhibits change, so check out the website before you go. Tons of play areas for all ages. There are several sections only for children under 5. and there are even toddler sections. There's an aquarium on the LL floor, under the main entrance, where you can pet sharks and sting rays. Huge gift shop with all kinds of neat items....My only pet peeve. You are given a red piece of paper that you're supposed to hang on your shirt collar, like a paper clip. It's not sticky or anything. This is proof you paid and you are supposed to keep up with it. They fall off constantly!!!! I saw so many laying around on the floor. They should consider a bracelet or stamp or something. I'm a teacher, and I'd be worried about going on a trip here because if I have 20 kids, half are going to lose that stupid paper.

Reviewed October 8, 2009

This has got to be one of the best science centers in the country, especially if you have kids. I have to say that it's probably geared towards younger kids; however, the adults were having a good time, too. It's 4 floors. We spent 3.5 hours there and never made it to one of the floors. It's a very interactive, hands-on science center. There's a huge play area for the very young kids on the top floor. There's a mini-playground area. But there's so much more....tug-o-war, petting the manarays, turning rachets, digging for dinosaur bones, feeling what it's like to be in a 70mph wind from a hurricane, dancing, testing your reflexes, and well....I could go on and on. It's a little pricey to get in, but I think it's worth the price. We drove an hour and a half to get there, and it was well worth the drive. We will definitely be going back!

Reviewed August 6, 2009

This place is absolutely awesome! We had the best time here. There was a lady on the staff named Betty. She was the sweetest lady and made a big fuss over us after she found out we had come to see McWayne all the way from Toronto, ON Canada.
The exhibits were amazing, and the new shark and manta/sting ray tank was something else!! My 10 year old had a blast at this place and so did we!!! And for the price, you can't go wrong. I am really surprised this is not higher on the list for attractions in Birmingham!!