“Great for the Kids”

McWane Science Center
Ranked #3 of 97 things to do in Birmingham
More attraction details
Owner description: Fun and learning never end at McWane Science Center, a nonprofit, hands-on museum and IMAX(R) Dome Theater. Four floors of interactive exhibits celebrate science and wonder - from an amazing collection of dinosaurs to innovative environmental showcases, imaginative early childhood playgrounds, and an awe-inspiring aquarium. The energy and excitement of discovery spring to life through an extensive lineup of science demonstrations performed daily by talented educators. The adventure intensifies in the IMAX(R) Dome Theater, where wide-eyed visitors experience the sights and sounds of breathtaking films on a 5-story-tall screen surrounded by 3 tons of high-intensity speakers.
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Our 3 year old absolutely loved this place and it is nice to take him somewhere and not have to constantly tell him to not touch things! He had a blast and us adults enjoyed the exhibits. Great for the whole family.

All reviews
"all ages"
in 134 reviews
"imax theater"
in 42 reviews
"the itty bitty magic city"
"bed of nails"
in 11 reviews
"family membership"
"the lower level"

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Great place to take kids (I took a 4 & 6 year old)!
very interactive, the setup allows each family to explore at their own pace. With so much to see and do, there are no lines to wait in.
Restrooms on each floor with stairs or elevators available.
Convenient parking attached, $5 a car.
They do offer a membership, if I lived in the area I would definitely be inclined to look into it.

Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

Me, my wife and our 2 year old son loved the Mcwane Center! There's lots to do and special stations for all ages. Only problems are the stairs and slow elevator, but you still have to be careful with toddlers once you're higher up, as the stairs are steep and not child proof, and also the fact that it can get pretty crowded here. The food in the cafeteria is not really worth it unless you're starving, which we were after being very active for around 2-3hrs. Our son loved the interactive water areas as well as the toy and building block spots. He could have spent the whole day at any one of those areas alone! If you have 2-3 year olds with youthen just say "infant" instead of their age at the front desk and they'll likely let them in for free, can't guarantee this though, just based off our own experience. Wonderful place to take kids, just be physically and perceptively prepared to endure 2-3 hours of walking from place to place while watching the kids amongst the crowds.

Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I came here as a date one day. Had a lot of fun. But be prepared for insanely rude staff.