“Fun place to take kids or the kid at heart!”

McWane Science Center
Ranked #3 of 96 things to do in Birmingham
More attraction details
Owner description: Fun and learning never end at McWane Science Center, a nonprofit, hands-on museum and IMAX(R) Dome Theater. Four floors of interactive exhibits celebrate science and wonder - from an amazing collection of dinosaurs to innovative environmental showcases, imaginative early childhood playgrounds, and an awe-inspiring aquarium. The energy and excitement of discovery spring to life through an extensive lineup of science demonstrations performed daily by talented educators. The adventure intensifies in the IMAX(R) Dome Theater, where wide-eyed visitors experience the sights and sounds of breathtaking films on a 5-story-tall screen surrounded by 3 tons of high-intensity speakers.
Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I went with our friends and their kids! The first and bottom floors were the most fun with interactive activities and animals you can touch! My husband and I do not have kids but we still ha a good time laughing and enjoying the museum. If I had children I'd definitely bring there here for a fun day.

All reviews
"all ages"
in 134 reviews
"imax theater"
in 42 reviews
"the itty bitty magic city"
"bed of nails"
in 11 reviews
"family membership"
"the lower level"

Reviewed June 16, 2013

My grand kids loved this place. We will be going again. There was so much to do. We spent the whole day there. None of the kids wanted to leave. They never even got tired (until we got to the car). Wonderful way to spend the day.

1  Thank Sandra V
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We visited the McWane Center in the afternoon with a curious 3-year-old. She had a great time; we would have liked it better if the staff had been a little more assertive about enforcing the size/age restrictions in the small children's play area. Otherwise, the Center is fun, clean, and educational with many hands-on activities for kids of all ages.

1  Thank Love2TravelAlabama
Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

Visited with my kids and other family....so much too see our group of 9 split up early on...but we kept running I.to each other and sending others to our favorite displays. Will definatly do a return visit with the kids. The live demonstrations were super....homemade bottlerockets! Fun! Fun! Fun! Lunch was a nice year our group all chose different options and only had to pay once..big plus in my book, top it off the food was good, wonderful options for everyone.