“Solid Greek Food with a pleasant atmosphere”
Review of Do Di Yo's - CLOSED

Do Di Yo's
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Do Di Yo's is the latest venture for George Sarris and Connie Kanakis. The restaurant is in the Soho development in Homewood. The decor is attractive, with a few interesting private tables with curtains to separate the diners from the rest of the restaurant. I chose one of the public tables. My server immediately brought out bread with a spread surrounded by olive oil. I tasted it and it was DELICIOUS! The waiter said it was their house Feta cheese spread (available for purchase to take home). I then ordered the Connie's Snapper, which was baked or broiled with a Parmesan crust and a side of lemon butter. It came with a salad and choice of side. I went with Lemon Potatoes, which was a huge potato, nestled in olive oil, lemon and oregano. Everything was very good. Th visit was made more special by the fact that Connie Kanakis himself was walking around, and checking on each table, thanking us for being there. I would definitely go back!

Reviewed February 23, 2014

I've been here several times but I left here two weeks ago after eating lunch and was sick within two hours. Chicken. I'm still not right and won't go back. Never had a problem before with the food. Never was a real favorite of mine but close to work. Good luck.

2  Thank Bill E
Reviewed February 22, 2014

This is not a family friendly romantic place to eat! It was more of a middle aged pick up kind of place! We were there on Friday night and there were probably 50 people milling around the bar and the bar seats were full as well, drinking and being very loud! The food- not so wonderful. My salads wedge was the size of 1/16 of a small head of lettuce with no blue cheese sprinkled on top and rancid bacon! My gyro meat was very salty and barely palatable. My husband fared better, he had a seafood pasta dish that was awesome. Our waiter not once asked how our meal was, atmosphere horribly noisy with questionable activity at the bar ( 2 late 20 year old girls with 70 year old man)! I would have had a better meal at the Purple Onion, a local fast food Greek place!

2  Thank FoodieNan
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We have been to this restaurant a couple of times before but it had been over a year since our last visit. We went on a Wednesday night with another couple for a somewhat early dinner.
We bring bread and a yummy feta cheese spread to all tables to start. We ordered the dips / spreads - double of the spicy dip and one order of taziki (they did not make tabouleh that evening so it was not an option). The dips came on a large platter with pita triangles toasted with a good seasoning.
For dinner one friend had the Connie's Steer Butt - a specialty of the house. When it arrive he had requested medium and it arrived medium rare and had to be sent back. One of us ordered the nightly special of a seafood trio (chicken, shrimp and scallops) in penne pasta. The dish arrived with 2 scallops and 1 shrimp the rest was chickcen so it really wasn't a trio like we all expected. I ordered another special of the mussaka - it was a large portion that arrived warm, but it didn't have much flavor and was disappointing. My other friend order the stuffed flounder special - one portion stuffed with crab and the other was a florentine. She said both were great.
At the start of the meal the waitress described each salad that came with the meal, each of us chose one. When we received the check we all had $2-$4 charges each for the salad. With 3 of the 4 meals being a disappointment we just paid the check and chalked it up to experience.

1  Thank twosassyk
Reviewed November 11, 2013

On a recent visit to B'ham, Charlotte and I had Friday night dinner at Do Di Yos. The restaurant is located only 5 minutes from downtown in Homewood, Al. They offer valet parking but the number of off street parking spaces is very adequate. The dress code is casual. We were immediately seated and offered complimentary feta dip and bread. Our server was fabulous. Drinks and a crab claw appetizer arrived in less than 5 minutes. For our main course we chose fried oysters, Greek potatoes and steamed vegetables. All portions were large and cooked to perfection. We definitely will revisit Do Di Yos on our next trip to B'ham and look forward to trying their ribs and rotisserie chicken.