“Great Value for Last Minute Booking”

Country Inn & Suite Birmingham - Hoover
Ranked #51 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Eufaula, Alabama
“Great Value for Last Minute Booking”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I had to book this reservation at the last minute, and they had a room available for $79.00.  I was not wanting to spend much as I am on a really tight budget.

The hotel is further up the hill past the Hampton so it is not visible from the shops in the Colonnade. It is quiet for the most part, but you CAN hear your next door neighbor's tv set.  There is also some street noise from the highway.

The location is perfect if you need quick access to Mountain Brook, Hoover, or the shops at the Summit.  There is good shopping and great restaurants close by.

I was given a handicapped room which was a first for me.  I did not complain because Josh at the front desk had been so super nice to me and went out of his way to give me directions.  Also I  was very tired and just wanted to sleep.

The room on first floor was directly across from Housekeeping.  The shower was a zero entry space, meant for a wheelchair.  Water got all over the floor no matter what I did.  The shower spout was a handheld so that I could not stand directly under it for a normal shower. I just tried to be flexible and have a good attitude.

There was a lamp on one side of the bed but not the other.  Bugged me because I am left-handed and needed the other side of the bed , the one without the lamp.  Tried to switch the lamp over, but no electrical outlet over there.
The tv did not have even half the channels listed on the Channel Guide.
Nice big fridge, small microwave, ice bucket, coffee maker.

Breakfast was the typical free breakfast for this type of hotel. Very clean and well-stocked, but the food is adequate, not earth-shattering. Cereal, bagels, toast, waffle maker, etc.

Was told there is no password for Internet, that it hooks right up.  I had major issues with Internet and spotty service.  VERY frustrating. You have to plug into an outlet; doesn't work at all if you try to use Internet just sitting on the bed.

Bed was squishy and I like firm, but oh well.  It was fine. I found a way to be content here because I know I got what I paid for for a last minute $79 rate.  I think the friendliness of the staff made up for the average quality. It is obvious they are doing the best they can.  Josh's big smile made the difference. I wish every hotel realized what a big difference friendliness makes. I could certainly put up with a lot more because of it.

When checking out, the lady asked, "How on earth did you get stuck in a handicapped room?" I said "I have no idea." She laughed and said, "Oh.  Josh." We both laughed.

Room Tip: Ask for no highway noise.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Munford, Tennessee
Reviewed June 14, 2012

After a terrible experience at another local establishment, we moved to Comfort Inn. The staff was very helpful and kind. They helped turn what was at that point a HORIBLE experience into a very enjoyable weekend. The location is good and I wasn't uncomfortable having my teenage daughter there. The room was CLEAN and comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 11, 2012

We stayed at this Comfort Inn & Suites 5/9-10/12 and for the most part it was a very good hotel. The only "con" I guess is.... the second floor hallway carpet needs to be steam cleaned. There was a not so nice smell when you walked out into the hallway. However, the breakfast was great! A very good variety of foods and the area was nice and clean. The rooms were large and clean. The bed was very comfortable and so were the pillows. The lobby could use some sprucing up but overall it was a good hotel for the price. Would I stay there again? Probably so.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Gulf Breeze
Reviewed December 22, 2011

We recently had a 3 day stay in Birmingham Alabama at the Comfort Inn & Suites Colonnade. The hotel was nice and the rooms clean. The breakfast was over at 9:30 sharpe and the selection lacked. I never saw hot coffee for the guests other than breakfast and it was cold and very watery... The bed was okay, mattress a little lumpy, but overall the room was good. Management is another problem. I made reservations with central reservations, not through the hotel. At check in, I ask the manager to make sure my choice points were posted to my stay and he said no problem. I checked on the posting the next day and I was told they were not posted, so I called central reservations and they said they had posted them,but the hotel management had taken them off as the hotel had said they had given us a special rate that did not include points. I told them to repost them as we did not get a special rate as central gave us our rate and that included points. The representative reposted the points and I ask the hotel management why they disallowed our points and their excuse was vague. At this point I was suspicious of them and when we checked out and back at home, I called central reservation again and they said the points had been taken off again by the hotel stating the same excuse. I let the choice hotels customer relations know what was going on and they said they would check the complaint out. I was told during our visit that we were the fourth family that day that was done that way. The hotel must pay for points given customers. As I stated before, the hotel was nice, but the management is untrustworthy... The hotel is also a bit out of the way from the shopping area.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front side of the hotel away from the freeway is less noisey..Some people complained ab...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Pugg44
Reviewed December 9, 2011

The room had small amounts of trash in it when we checked in. Nothing horrid or anything but housekeeping must be pretty slack. We had 2 adults and 2 kids staying in the room and only 3 bath towels. I called the front desk and asked for more and they said I'd have to come down and get them. The breakfast was not good at all....its hard to mess up "make your own waffles" and muffins but they managed to do it. We were only there to sleep though so it was ok. Next time we go to Alabama for a football game... ROLL TIDE!!!!!! I think we'll try another hotel chain. Our last few times staying at a Comfort Inn were not very comfortable. Oh yeah, the indoor pool was pretty nice, but it closed kinda early.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 2nd floor and it was quiet. Our view was looking into the indoor pool and part...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Stayed two nights the first night was ok, the room smelled funky but I made it through the night. Second night I'm sitting on the bed and a big centipede looking bug is crawling across the wall. The front desk guy moved me down the hall to another room. I had an uneasy feeling after the front desk guy told me they had just sprayed for bugs a couple of days before. About ten minutes after getting to the new room a cockroach crawled out from behind the fridge. I grabbed my bags and headed for the door, as I was leaving a green fly thingy buzzed me. At that point I couldn't help but laugh as I sprinted down the hall. One positive, the guy at the front desk only charged me for the one night. I didn't eat the breakfast....thank God. If I could give this place less than one I would.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
texas
Reviewed June 11, 2011

Upon check in, we went to our room. You can tell the rooms have been updated but, the room reeked of an awful odor, there was a huge greasy stain on the comforter, the tub had granite walls, but I have never seen mildew form on granite, but there was A LOT of mildew, the table the tv was on, was filthy with dust and crumbs....Overall it doesn't give you much confidence on how well the room was cleaned. I did say something to the guy at the front desk about the greasy stain on the comforter, his response was "Yeah, we just can't get that stain out." I told him I bet I could, and he said if you get it out you can have it. Really, I do not want your disguisting comforter, futhermore, how about replacing the one in the room?! I wish I had taken pictures. This place could be nice, but gotta say whatta dump!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family