“Comments”

Best Western Plus Carlton Suites
Ranked #9 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I really enjoyed staying at the best western carlson suites. It was located in a great place to access and near plenty of places to eat. We were there for an Eagles concert at the Jefferson Center and had a blast. We'll definitley consider staying here again in the future.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
bwcarlton, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Carlton Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Samuel G,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us! We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. We are located right off Interstate 65, and we are 10 minutes south of downtown Birmingham making us an ideal location near many attractions. I hope that the Eagles concert was awesome! We look forward to having you back in the future!

There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Carlton Suites

Reviewed November 17, 2013

We had a pleasant experience for our first try at a BW Plus Carlton. The hotel was very clean, well appointed, convenient location off highway, and more importantly pet friendly. Although no first floor rooms available, we were given a room at the top of the stairs and near lawn. It was very quiet location, yet several restaurants from upscale (Landry's) to fast food (Arby's, McDs, Wendy's) nearby within easy walking distance, safe and well lit. Quite impressive breakfast offering as well. My only complaint, which is just a pet peeve of mine, is the number of mirrors in room. I like a smaller mirror available away from the sink so that my husband can use it while I apply makeup in another place. The room did not have a floor length mirror either. Overall, great hotel and we noted its location for future trips through the area.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
bwcarlton, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Carlton Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Dtbuny,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. Thank you for so much for giving our hotel a try. We are happy to know that you enjoyed our full, hot buffet breakfast. Unfortunately, we only have the standard mirrors in our rooms. We will look into your suggestion for future renovations. Thank you again for staying with us. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed November 12, 2013

Having visited several Best Western Plus’ in the past, this hotel easily met our expectations. The front desk staff (Jigisha in particular) was very attentive and prompt. They fulfilled my request for an early check in, provided free in-room Wi-Fi for guests, served a complimentary hot breakfast in the lobby, and offered lots of free parking.

The room was clean and spacious, with a “kitchenette” (microwave, bar sink, and mini-fridge), couch, and desk. The bathroom was a bit dated, but had a newer shower head installed and a fan you could turn on & off (other hotels we've visited don't have a switch for the fan). The sink was outside of the bathroom, which I always find a bit odd, but otherwise the room was very nice. We were only in town for one night, to see the Alabama/LSU football game, and the drive to/from Tuscaloosa was no problem (approx. 1 hour).

We would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a comfortable place to stay in Birmingham. The manager stopped by our table at breakfast to check if everything was going well, so they obviously want their guests to enjoy their stay.

1  Thank theNYdog

theNYdog,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We are happy to know that you were greeted by our friendly staff members at check-in. Thank you for your kind compliments. We are thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay. I hope that you enjoyed the game as well! If you are ever in Birmingham again, we’d love to have you stay with us! Thank you again for your review!

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Two words...PUBIC.....HAIR. My wife chose this hotel for our first night away from the kid in a loooooooooooooong time because it had whirlpool tubs available. This hotel is old and starting to fall into disrepair but it is in a nice area so they charge $130+ a night for our room. The hallways stink of various cleaners and general funk. The microwave was so old it had a single dial on it...no buttons. There are numerous cracks in the walls and ceilings etc. The indoor pool actually looked nice but the water was over chlorinated even by water park standards. I've spent the night in rooms ranging from $35 to $5000+, I can get over an old crappy hotel. It is what you make of it, especially if you get to spend a night away from poopy diapers and goldfish being shoved in your face. What I can't handle is turning on our coveted whirlpool tub and a ton of pubes flying out into the water!!! I'm not talking about one or two. I'm talking about a small handful worth of jet black short n curlies. The lady at the front desk was horrified and the assistant manager wasn't especially apologetic but they were helpful. They of course didn't have another room to move us to so they dropped our rate. They ended up providing us with bleach at our request and we cleaned up all of the pubes and I assume quite a bit of genetic material ourselves. This night has only just started so I might have more to add after tomorrow's "hot breakfast". Calling corporate on Monday. Update- The manager was there when we checked out this morning and comped our room. He also offered us a discount on a future stay. The hot breakfast buffet was what you'd expect with one exception. The powdered eggs were the worst powdered eggs I've ever had. Prisons gets better eggs than this.

2  Thank Janice L

Daniel P,

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our hotel. On behalf of the staff, I would like to apologize for your experience with your Jacuzzi tub. Clean rooms are of upmost importance to us and we sincerely apologize for not being able to deliver that to you. We have implemented new procedures to prevent this incident from occurring again. We do appreciate you bring this matter to our attention. We did refund you the total cost of your stay. We desire for each of our guests to have a satisfactory experience. We hope that you will visit us again so that we may have another opportunity to provide you with superior service. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

Excellent Best Western! Without a doubt one of the best I've stayed at and I've stayed at Best Westerns all over. The breakfast was superb with an amazing variety. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. Everything about this property is absolutely first class. The General Manager, Rony Naik, is really concerned about seeing to it that guests have a pleasant experience. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
bwcarlton, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Carlton Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Gvaldeg1,

Thank you for the awesome compliments about our General Manager, Rony and our hotel! We appreciate your loyalty to our Best Western brand. We desire for each of our guests to have a satisfactory experience each and every time they stay with us! Thank you for recommending us to the TripAdvisor community. Thank you again for taking the time to review us. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Best room in Birmingham for 100 dollars. Clean room and everything worked, even the coffee maker. Breakfast was great and hot items were hot. Hotel was clean inside and out and easy to get to just off I65.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Allen H,

Thank you so much for staying with us! We are thrilled to be known by you as the “Best Room In Birmingham”. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay! We are conveniently located right off Interstate 65 with many shops and restaurants nearby. Thank you for reviewing us on Tripadvisor!

Reviewed November 3, 2013

I tried to book at this hotel, one which I had stayed at previously, and the gentleman at the front desk was so rude!! The first time I called, he told me he was too buisy to make my reservation and to call back in 10 minutes, which I did. Then he told me his computer was down, took my phone # and said he would call me in 15 minutes, Two hours after I began this run around, I called him back and he still seemed to need an attitude adjustment. I finally made my reservation, only to cancell after thinking about how I had been treated. I will never go to this hotel again, even if it is the last place on earth with a room, which it probably would be if everyone received such treatment.

Room Tip: Stay away from this place!!
Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sslammers
bwcarlton, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Carlton Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Sslammers,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor. On behalf of the staff, I would like to apologize for your experience with the front desk while making your reservation. You called during a required system upgrade to our reservation software. At the time of your call, our General Manager was unable to take your reservation. He did take your name and number and returned your call. He received no answer and left you a voicemail. Due to our pet policy we were unable to accommodate your cat. We do appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your experience.