“Thanksgiving Retreat”

Ranked #7 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Ft.Myers
“Thanksgiving Retreat”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We checked in with a dog on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving in the evening. To the left of the central counter was warm chocolate chip cookies. Thanks Mom. No, it's not Mom but you would
Swear she was here with all The thoughtful touches. The room appeared freshly painted and clean. Despite being close to a busy highway, this hotel was well insulated and quiet which was
Perfect for a good nights rest. The shower was great, hot if you like and a full stream: no spritzes
Here. Suprised by the breakfast the next morning: there was eggs, crisp bacon, sausage, grits, gravy, biscuits, yogurt, fruit, assorted rolls, juice and coffee and a waffle station. Our problem was
Getting there by 9:00 when the breakfast bar closed. Wish they would extend the time to 10:00 for
Our next visit. The location was perfect for visiting relatives: it was close to everything and we felt
It was a safe section of town to be located.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
bwcarlton, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Carlton Suites, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
It was an honor to have you stay with us over Thanksgiving!! We are glad this felt like a home away from home! If you want to feel like "MOM" is taking care of you, this is the place to stay!! From our Free Full Hot Buffet Breakfast -allow mom to cook fresh bacon, eggs, waffles, sausage, biscuits & gravy ect. for you each morning!! To our fresh mom-baked cookies and our mothered approved happy hour in the evening, to our clean and spacious rooms, all the way to our rain shower heads, we have EVERYTHING to make all our guests HAPPY! Thanks again for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor!!

Barry Richardson and the Best Western Plus Team!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed November 9, 2012

This hotel is the best hotel I've experienced while staying in Birmingham. I have stayed at other hotels during my business trips while in Birmingham, but they don't compare to the many ammenities of this hotel starting with a complete and full breakfast and ending with a 5 o'clock pm manager's reception. The final touches to this hotel is the professional and courteous staff of the owner/manager Rony Naik and wife Lucy along with all staff members who know me by name Jigisha, Jocelyn, Wilma, Brandt, Toshi, Barry, Richard, Linda and Jose. Thanks to all of these who will go beyond any measure to solve your concerns or problems.

Room Tip: Very convenient and the best value for the best service
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
bwcarlton, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Carlton Suites, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor! What an honor it is to be called "The Best Hotel" in Birmingham. We take great joy in in providing our guests with an unbeatable experience. It's always a pleasure to have you with us when you are on business, and we appreciate you choosing us over all the other Hotels in the Birmingham Area! Thank you for such nice compliments concerning our entire team. The thing that is great about all of our employees is that they will go the extra mile to make each and every stay as enjoyable as possible. We are glad that you enjoy all of our amenities including our free full hot buffet breakfast and our free managers reception in the evening.

Thanks again for Choosing Best Western PLUS Carlton Suites!! We are looking forward to seeing you again!

Barry Richardson and the Staff at Best Western Plus Carlton Suites
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Reviewed November 8, 2012

This is a terrific hotel with a very friendly staff. The hotel has obviously been remodeled, but caring attention to detail is evident. Very, very clean. The suite-style room was huge and included a large desk that my husband took advantage of. There is also a wet bar that includes the fridge, microwave and coffee maker. The large flat screen TV is positioned perfectly for the bed or the sofa. Breakfast was good, especially the coffee. Monday through Thursday there are complimentary drinks and snacks from 5 - 7. I used the laundry which was clean and efficient. I booked this hotel, because the price was so much less than the Hampton Inn down the street. What a bonus to have it be such a great place to stay! Super location with choices for eating and retail nearby.

Room Tip: If you have been traveling and need to do laundry, it is located on the second floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shoemaven
bwcarlton, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Carlton Suites, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
To another satisfied guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to let the world know what you thought about our hotel. We would have loved for you to stay longer with us as well. Next time you come to Birmingham you'll have to come back and see us, it would be great to have you back!!

We are glad to know you enjoy our Spacious King Suite. We are an All-Suite hotel so our guests can expect a clean, spacious, and relaxing stay. We also offer Jacuzzi Suites if you are looking to relax a little bit more on your next trip!

Everyone always loves all the extras they get when they choose Best Western Plus Carlton Suites. From our Free Hot Buffet Breakfast, to the indoor swimming pool, to the laundry facility, to the Managers Reception, to the large and spacious suites, and of course the Friendly Staff. We really do have everything to make your stay enjoyable.

Thank you for such high praise of our hotel and staff!

Barry Richardson and the Best Western Plus Team
GA
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stay at this hotel EVERY time I stay anywhere near Birmingham. I question the person that made that post The Manager and desk staff greet me by name (most of the time). NEVER... NEVER has the Manager (Rony) nor his staff treated me or anyone I've seen during any of my stays rudely OR disrespectfully! My employees stay there even when I do not and they are always taken good care of.

Anytime you pay for any hotel room with a credit card, you will have a hold put on your card. This hold is a DEPOSIT. When your stay is over, your credit card is billed and the hold(deposit) is returned. If you pay with cash you have to pay a deposit.

There is no policy about the deposits but since I am a Diamond with Best Western, Platnum with Priority Club, Gold with Marriott, Hilton and Choice privileges (and several others)... I patronize a LOT of hotels. The Best Western Plus Carlton Suites is one of my favorite hotels! I am always welcomed with open arms, handshakes, smiling faces, full breakfast, dinner and drinks (even though I don't drink) and wonderful service! This hotel offers so many things for the people that stay there. I can say for sure that I want peace and quiet when I stay at a hotel. I do NOT want some party happening. If I wanted that I would stay at a motel 6 or something. NOT at a QUALITY Hotel!

Last thing... Rony (the Manager) is NOT a RACIST! I have seen many people of many races staying at The Best Western Plus Carlton Suites and ALL are treated kindly and with respect! Labeling someone a racist is so rampant! I hope everyone that reads this post will disregard the negative comment and I challenge you to come there and see for yourself! You will be treated like a King or Queen!

Room Tip: Ask for a room... They all are suites and have plenty of space.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank mac1sr
mac1sr,

We can not thank you enough for the kind words about our hotel. We are thrilled to know that you always enjoy your stay with us. We really do strive to deliver the best possible customer experience possible. It brings us great joy to know that we are one of your favorite hotels to stay at and we are ecstatic to know that you leave Best Western Plus feeling like a King! It is an honor to serve you and your employees while you are in need of lodging in Birmingham.

We welcome any and all travelers with open arms, handshakes, and smiling faces! Guests can also enjoy our Full Hot Buffet Breakfast, Managers Reception, Indoor Pool, and Wi-Fi (all of which is included in the rate).

Thanks again for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor! Also, thank you for standing up for us and having our back, it means a lot to us! We look forward to seeing you and your employees in the future!

Barry Richardson and the Entire Best Western Plus Birmingham Family
Trussville, Alabama
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I walked in the hotel to check-in. I was greeted by a young man who was very nice, who proceeded to assist me with checking in. By this time the manager appears and lets me know that he's the manager and then takes over by giving the rules of the hotel...he pointed out that there can be no parties, pool parties, slumber parties, telling me that a kid died at another local hotel nearby because of a pool party...which had nothing to do with me and what I was there for. I never mentioned anything about a party, nor did I have a party with me. I said ok no big deal...the young man tried to complete the reservation, asking me what would be my method of payment. I said cash and young man then informed me of what the cost would be for the stay in addition to $100 deposit. I said deposit? And that point everything went south... The young man was pushed aside and the manager said yes there is a deposit. I then said that I wasn't aware of a deposit should I have known that before walking in? I was not aware of the deposit at check-in because I made the reservation through the 1-800 # and I wasn't informed at the time of the reservation that this was a requirement...and I explained that to the manager. He was verrrry rude, telling me that I need to read, read everything, he pulled out a sign that it looked like he made stating something about deposits. He became very argumentative and began pointing at me. There is no information listed on this hotels web site that alerts its customers that there is a "required" deposit during check-in whether paying by cash or credit card. If this is policy it is not well communicated by management(in-person or otherwise). This is not the same thing deposit/hold that is required to hold/book the room. There's much more to this story, but this is enough. I have patronized many hotel establishments and this experience is by far the worst that I have ever encountered. The manager is rude, not at all friendly and seems to be a bit racist. The reservation was canceled!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank MsH638
bwcarlton, General Manager at Best Western Plus Carlton Suites, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
First, I would like to apologize for the confusion during check-in. I am sorry that we couldn't come to an understanding for you to stay with us; I know you would have enjoyed yourself just as much as all of our Tripadvisor guests. Concerning the deposit, it has always been our policy to charge a deposit at check-in to ensure us that there will be no damage/no smoking will take place in a non-smoking room/missing items in the room/extra guests/and to ensure that no parties will be held in the room/pool. It is an industry standard to require a deposit upon check-in when paying cash, or even to put a hold on a credit card. As long as there is no violation concerning a stay, we verify and give the deposit back at check-out. While we understand your frustrations, we strive to be as transparent as possible when it comes to the policy of our hotel. We want all of our guests to have a safe, quiet, and enjoyable stay!

In Birmingham it is very common for people to throw parties at hotels. People try to have a bunch of people in their room/pool. While we understand the joy that can be had when you are at a party, from our side it creates many difficult issues such as noise that disturbs others, occupancy that exceeds the fire safety, and a hotel safety problem for our other guests and our employees. This is a hotel liability issue that we take very seriously. In the past we have been hurt by people who lack respect for others. So now we have a very strict policy set in place to safe-guard against this. By no means were we saying that you were going to do all these things, it is just a preventative step we take.

Time to time a handful of guests get upset and argues about not getting their way. Then portray our hotel and staff in a negative light. We are simply trying to do our job and it is our utmost concern to keep all of our guests safe, and provide a pleasant and relaxing stay.

We have worked diligently over the past eight years to establish a very reputable place to stay and to prevent these types of situations before they happen. To achieve this reputation we had to establish a very strict hotel policy. Our hard work has paid off because we are in the top 5% of all Best Westerns in the Nation. We have just won the M.K. Guertin award for best exemplifying exceptional levels of service, quality, value, and commitment to the brand. We try our best to deliver the best customer experience possible. We want all of our guests to have a clean, comfortable, quiet and relaxing stay at our hotel, and I’m sorry you didn't get to experience that.

Rony Naik and the Entire Team
Bremen, Georgia
Reviewed October 25, 2012

This was one of the best hotel stays I have had in recent memory. I was in Birmingham for a concert and made a last minute reservation through Best Western. The manager Rony and his staff went out of their way to make my visit exceptional. I would not hesitate to stay here again. Highly recommend.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
bwcarlton, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Carlton Suites, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
To our Happy Guest Bob,

What a pleasure it was to have you stay with us while you were in town for a concert. Thank you so much for such high praise of our hotel and staff. Our Goal here at Best Western is to provide you with Superior Customer Care, and it's great to know when we have achieved our goal! Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor.com, we truly appreciate it. We would be thrilled to have you visit us in the future when you are in need of lodging in Birmingham. Thanks again!

Barry Richardson and the Best Western Plus Family
Plum Grove, TX
Reviewed October 22, 2012

For the price, you don't expect such a great hotel. Greeted by the manager from the desk, you feel right at home. The rooms are spacious and impeccably clean. Really fast wi-fi for free, nice hot breakfast and more conversation with the management. We rate this as a favorite place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
ondbrink,

We are ecstatic to know that you enjoyed yourself so much during your stay with us. It is great to know that we have become your favorite place to stay. Our rooms are spacious and clean, we do have free wi-fi, and we do have a free hot breakfast buffet. Thanks for taking the time reviewing us to the Tripadvisor nation. We look forward to having you back again!

Barry Richardson and the Entire Best Western Plus Team