“Friendly staff, nice rooms, great location”

Best Western Plus Carlton Suites
Ranked #5 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Vancouver, Canada
“Friendly staff, nice rooms, great location”
Reviewed May 27, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel one night on our way to Memphis from Atlanta. From the moment we were welcomed at the reception desk until the time we checked out, we felt very comfortable here. We were even greeted by the housekeeping staff with smiles that indicated they were happy doing their job.

The room was large and comfortable, and the location is perfect as it is just off a major highway and there are many restaurants within walking distance. The room rate was excellent, there is lots of parking, and there is a free breakfast in the morning.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
bwcarlton, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Carlton Suites, responded to this review, May 31, 2011
Thank you so much for taking time out of your schedule to let others know about your stay with us. We appreciate your feedback and are glad you enjoyed every aspect of your stay. We strive to have the Best Staff, the Best Rates, and the Best Service! WE want to go above and beyond and not only meet your expectations but exceed them. Thank you for choosing to stay with us we look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Chris Nelson and the Carlton Suites Staff.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
GA
Reviewed May 8, 2011

After the huge tornados that tore across AL, TN and GA, I had to go rescue one of my employees. There were no rooms available without a LARGE price gouge of $75 to $150 above normal rates. I went to the Best Western at 140 State Farm Pkwy. Not only did the Manager, Rony Naik and Guest Rep, Eric Mack square me away with a room... I got the room at a normal rate but they upgraded my room as well! After driving 9 hours to get my employee, being welcomed here was a great burden off my shoulders.

PLEASE treat yourself to a great stay when you are in Birmingham!!!

2 Thank mac1sr
bwcarlton, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Carlton Suites, responded to this review, May 11, 2011
I want to thank you first of all for helping your employee in a time of need! With the mass devasation that his swept across the united states on April 27th, we want to do our best to do our part. We have not and will not price gauge! We want to do our part in the relief efforts by providing good, comfortable clean rooms at a great price! Thank you for your business we look forward to seeing you again!

Bryant, Arkansas
Reviewed May 7, 2011

This hotel was rated #1 on Trip Advisor, so we felt comfortable in making reservation for a one night stay. The staff was very friendly and professional. The hotel was very clean. I thought the manager's reception was a nice touch - free snacks and beverages, including alcohol. The free breakfast was very good. I would definitely stay at this hotel again. I understand why it is #1.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 3, 2011

MANAGER was helpful, AS WAS ALL THE STAFF. GREAT location for me, not in the city BUT only 3 miles away. VERY clean. VERY quiet. GREAT food at WALKING distance. AND THE POOL WAS THE GREATEST! It is enclosed BUT with sliding glass doors ALL around they controlled the temperature SO AS TO BE NOT TOO COLD AND NOT TOO HOT. BUT no bathrooms by pool MEANS YOU MUST GO BACK TO YOUR ROOM. 2ND floor near back is a good location for pool BUT NOT without restrooms. DON'T FORGET! FREE warm breakfast AND happy hour !!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: get the 2 day rate, it's less
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank resort2008
Let me start by saying thank you for reviewing us on Tripadvisor! We really appreciate when you take the time to let us know what we did well and what we need to work on! I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and the POOL. But I agree with you 100% that it stinks that we don't have a restroom closer to the pool. We have looked at options to add one back there however it just isn't possible with the plumbing and space needed! I hope to see you again soon and thanks again for leaving us your feedback!

Oakland, California
Reviewed April 30, 2011

I chose this hotel for my one night stay due to the ratings on this website. And I agree with all the positive things that people said. The staff was VERY friendly even though they were under pressure due to the tornado that hit nearby the day before I arrived. My room was clean and comfortable, and the internet worked great.
I was impressed with the complimentary "happy hour" consiting of drinks (2 drink max) and a few snacks...I have never seen that before. The breakfast was better than most Best Westerns. Bottom line: I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed April 16, 2011

Other reviews leave you with high expectations and this BW meets them all. Southern
Hospitality exists here. The first impression is the most important. Desk agent, Eric,
greets you as a friend and professionally gets you settled. We found the immediately
ready managers reception hosted by Renae a nice welcome.

Well equipped king room. Microwave, refrig, kitchenette counter with an addtional sink.
Work desk. Sofa & coffee table. Flat screen tv.

Desk provided map listed 14 restaurants that could be reached with an easy walk.
A variety of shopping. A very attractive area.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
We have set ourselves to have high expectations of our staff and how we work with you, our guest. I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay and the friendliness of our staff. We hope that in the future we will be able to not only meet but also surpass all of your expectations! See you again soon!

Spokane, Washington
Reviewed April 15, 2011

There was no discount coupon for this hotel, but since we needed to stay near the television studio for our morning appointment, we had no choice. Eric behind the counter was super helpful. When I discovered the nightly rate was well beyond our budget, we decided that since we were there on business, the business rate would apply. Mr. Pish’s pet fee was an additional $20.

Our room was at the back of the hotel on the fourth floor. We had to go down stairs to the lower level, then up the elevator to reach it. We were as far away from the entrance as physically possible. Mr. Pish enjoyed looking at himself in the mirrored wall of the elevator. Our room was large, very clean, comfortable and free of bedbugs. The ice machine was on the first floor, so that required a bit of a trek. David came to the conclusion the hotel was haunted because the elevator kept opening for him on the second floor which was under construction (he’s a carpenter). The fact that our room keys didn’t work the first time we tried to use them and I had to walk all the way to the lobby to get them fixed didn’t help dispel that theory either. Eric was extremely apologetic and I have to say his level of customer service was fantastic. For some reason, I kept walking up to room 416 instead of 412 each time I went to the room (which was a lot with the amount of bags we had). Then, the next morning when we checked out, the manager thought it was weird that we had stayed in room 412 when he had us down for room 416. Can you hear the Twilight Zone theme playing in the background?

The complimentary full breakfast the next morning was good – with real eggs, bacon and more. That was a nice switch from the usual yogurt and granola, especially because we’d been up since 4:30 a.m. to do the television appearance. Other than the little bit of weirdness and the long haul to the room, we definitely enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business