“Super Value. Great service.”

Best Western Plus Carlton Suites
Ranked #9 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed May 7, 2011

This hotel was rated #1 on Trip Advisor, so we felt comfortable in making reservation for a one night stay. The staff was very friendly and professional. The hotel was very clean. I thought the manager's reception was a nice touch - free snacks and beverages, including alcohol. The free breakfast was very good. I would definitely stay at this hotel again. I understand why it is #1.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed May 3, 2011

MANAGER was helpful, AS WAS ALL THE STAFF. GREAT location for me, not in the city BUT only 3 miles away. VERY clean. VERY quiet. GREAT food at WALKING distance. AND THE POOL WAS THE GREATEST! It is enclosed BUT with sliding glass doors ALL around they controlled the temperature SO AS TO BE NOT TOO COLD AND NOT TOO HOT. BUT no bathrooms by pool MEANS YOU MUST GO BACK TO YOUR ROOM. 2ND floor near back is a good location for pool BUT NOT without restrooms. DON'T FORGET! FREE warm breakfast AND happy hour !!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: get the 2 day rate, it's less
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank resort2008
bwcarlton, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Carlton Suites, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2011

Let me start by saying thank you for reviewing us on Tripadvisor! We really appreciate when you take the time to let us know what we did well and what we need to work on! I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and the POOL. But I agree with you 100% that it stinks that we don't have a restroom closer to the pool. We have looked at options to add one back there however it just isn't possible with the plumbing and space needed! I hope to see you again soon and thanks again for leaving us your feedback!

Sales Manager

Reviewed April 30, 2011

I chose this hotel for my one night stay due to the ratings on this website. And I agree with all the positive things that people said. The staff was VERY friendly even though they were under pressure due to the tornado that hit nearby the day before I arrived. My room was clean and comfortable, and the internet worked great.
I was impressed with the complimentary "happy hour" consiting of drinks (2 drink max) and a few snacks...I have never seen that before. The breakfast was better than most Best Westerns. Bottom line: I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 16, 2011

Other reviews leave you with high expectations and this BW meets them all. Southern
Hospitality exists here. The first impression is the most important. Desk agent, Eric,
greets you as a friend and professionally gets you settled. We found the immediately
ready managers reception hosted by Renae a nice welcome.

Well equipped king room. Microwave, refrig, kitchenette counter with an addtional sink.
Work desk. Sofa & coffee table. Flat screen tv.

Desk provided map listed 14 restaurants that could be reached with an easy walk.
A variety of shopping. A very attractive area.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple

We have set ourselves to have high expectations of our staff and how we work with you, our guest. I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay and the friendliness of our staff. We hope that in the future we will be able to not only meet but also surpass all of your expectations! See you again soon!

Sales Manager

Reviewed April 15, 2011

There was no discount coupon for this hotel, but since we needed to stay near the television studio for our morning appointment, we had no choice. Eric behind the counter was super helpful. When I discovered the nightly rate was well beyond our budget, we decided that since we were there on business, the business rate would apply. Mr. Pish’s pet fee was an additional $20.

Our room was at the back of the hotel on the fourth floor. We had to go down stairs to the lower level, then up the elevator to reach it. We were as far away from the entrance as physically possible. Mr. Pish enjoyed looking at himself in the mirrored wall of the elevator. Our room was large, very clean, comfortable and free of bedbugs. The ice machine was on the first floor, so that required a bit of a trek. David came to the conclusion the hotel was haunted because the elevator kept opening for him on the second floor which was under construction (he’s a carpenter). The fact that our room keys didn’t work the first time we tried to use them and I had to walk all the way to the lobby to get them fixed didn’t help dispel that theory either. Eric was extremely apologetic and I have to say his level of customer service was fantastic. For some reason, I kept walking up to room 416 instead of 412 each time I went to the room (which was a lot with the amount of bags we had). Then, the next morning when we checked out, the manager thought it was weird that we had stayed in room 412 when he had us down for room 416. Can you hear the Twilight Zone theme playing in the background?

The complimentary full breakfast the next morning was good – with real eggs, bacon and more. That was a nice switch from the usual yogurt and granola, especially because we’d been up since 4:30 a.m. to do the television appearance. Other than the little bit of weirdness and the long haul to the room, we definitely enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 13, 2011

Big rooms, great workspace (including free fast Internet) and helpful staff make this hotel my favorite in the area.

• Stayed: April 2011

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! For staying with us when in Birmingham! I am so glad that you have chosen us to be your home away from home! I am also glad you noticed our increased internet speed! We have just upgraded our internet lines (fiber optic cables run) and now are able to boast 8 megabyte speed (really fast for a hotel guest room). See you again soon!

A greatful Sales Manager

Reviewed March 31, 2011

Courteous & helpful staff, well kept and clean room, good breakfast and evening reception, good nearby restaurants, all in all a wonderful haven on a long road trip!

Room Tip: Call the hotel direct for best price & room.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple