All reviewsdog friendly hotelhard boiled eggswould stay againthe breakfast areanice stayfree breakfastking roomroom was clean and comfortablenice areayogurtpetdryerfreewayclerk
Reviewed October 7, 2008

The hotel itself was OK the staff was freindly...my peve was that they accepted pets with no charge, but there was no grass for pets to poo in?????????? They had one little 4x4 area for pets.???? The rest of the lot was concrete??? My dog dosent poo on paved areas!!!! Go figure that one!!!! Stay at the BRAND NEW LaQuinta in Fultandale just 15 minutes away. Free pet fee, brand new rooms and just up the road....you'll be happier and your pet will be too.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2008

This is an old Baymont Inn that has been re-branded. We arrived around 8 PM and the desk clerk was friendly and helpful. The room was clean with new beds, linens & coverings. The beds and pillows were excellent & comfortable. We were on the first floor with the parking lot right outside the window, but it was surprizingly quiet.

Now for the rest of the story... the bathroom still had the old style plastic shower/tub that was original to this hotel. The bathroom fan was extremely loud and you couldn't turn it off as it was wired in with the light.
The TV only had 6 or 8 channels and 3 of those were ESPN channels. Not much selection.
I tried to sign on to the web using the wireless internet service. It wouldn't work. I called their tech support and waited on hold over 30 minutes (I really had some work I needed to do!) Finally an Arabic sounding woman, who could barely speak English, answered the phone. After asking her to speak a little slower so I could understand her, she asked me to hold, TWICE! Both times she was gone only for a minute or so, but it was still frustrating. She finally told me there was a problem with the hotel's internet service but it would be fixed very shortly. Wrong again! It never worked that night or the next morning.
We went to their continental breakfast the next morning and the place was poorly stocked and dirty. I decided to just have cereal. There were two different choices, Total or Cheerios, and no milk available. I went to the desk and told the lady there and she quite rudely told me that someone would be there in a minute. I decided to have a cup of coffee while I waited, no coffee! They finally put out a pitcher of milk and started some coffee. Neither was worth waiting on.
When I checked out a different guy was at the front desk. He asked how my stay was. He was all smiles until I told him about the internet and the breakfast area. His comment about the internet was, "they don't have that fixed yet? They were supposed to get that fixed last week." He then proceeded to apologize about the breakfast area by saying two of the ladies had been arguing over whose time it was to take care of the breakfast area. I told him, I didn't care whose time it was, but that the condition of the room and the lack of milk/juice/coffee was unacceptable.

What started off so well the night we arrived quickly went downhill. I guess it's true what my dad always said, "you get what you pay for."

I will only stay here again if I can't find something better in this area of town.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed May 12, 2008

No air conditioning in halls, lobby or elevator. Lobby door was left open for fresh air (and mosquitos). Room air was off when we arrived and took very long time to cool.
Rude desk help
Even though they say non-smoking, halls reek of cigarette smoke.
Loud music from Irish pub next door
Terrible beds
Dirty bath rooms
Thin and worn towels and cloths
No hot items at skimpy breakfast

• Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed April 30, 2008

Great area and very safe. The hotel is dated, outside and lobby are fine, but room decor is a little old. The room was clean enough only a few minor problems. Good for one night stay but would look else where for longer stay in Birmingham.

Stayed: April 2004
Reviewed April 20, 2008

Booked this for $39 through a booking site. Great location in the "heart" of the 280 corridor (lined with lots of shops, restaurants, office complexes).
PROS: Our room was very quiet, the internet access was drama-free, the room was clean and there was a large countertop surrounding the sink, offering plenty of room for toiletries. Even though there was a bar adjacent to the LQ parking lot, we never heard any noise/music/anything. (Actually, the bar had a fantastic live band the night we were there!)
CONS: After we checked in, there was a friendly man on a golf cart who offered to help us with our luggage. He played his radio so loudly we heard it from our room. Breakfast was a little one-dimensional - other LQ's have waffle makers - that would be a nice addition. Twice as I sat down for breakfast the smoke alarm went off (I think b/c of the toaster being on)

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business