“Excellent Staff”

TownePlace Suites Birmingham Homewood
Ranked #45 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Stayed here with my father one night on the tail end of a week-long trip to Alabama, and what started out as a poor experience turned out great. I wish I could give it an excellent rating based on the staff alone, but there is enough room for improvement to deduct one point.

This is an extended stay property built in the style of an apartment building. It definitely feels more like an apartment complex than a hotel, but I think that is what Marriott probably had in mine when designing this brand. This property seemed well maintained, even though it did look a little dull to me.

Check-in was smooth, and we were greeted by the General Manager. Just about everyone I met on staff took pride in their work, and was willing to go above and beyond for the guests.

My father wanted to take a nap, while I decided to go out with a friend. Unfortunately, the are where this hotel fails is the soundproofing. My father was disturbed trying to nap due to loud guests on the floor above. While I was willing to move, my father wasn't but this is where the hotel saved the day. The wonderful staff spoke to our fellow guests, and they eventually quieted down. Neither my father and I, nor the other guests had to move. The staff was extremely friendly, and was willing to go the extra mile to make my father and I happy.

Breakfast wasn't bad, but wasn't special either. Small breakfast area, but nice to have.

Overall, the great staff turned what would have been a terrible experience into a great experience, and showed the hospitality I have come to expect from Marriott franchisees!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor if you are a light sleeper, as there does't seem to be much soun...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed February 18, 2014

This property has all the signs of a poorly managed hotel. Overall, the staff is friendly, but they just lack attention to detail. Also, although it's surrounded by other hotels, you dont get a very safe feeling at this property. There are always people loitering outside the hotel. Getting bath towels/linens replaced was very difficult. The "continental breakfast" is nothing short of abyssmal. For that reason alone, I would not recommend this hotel. There are plenty of decent places within a half mile that you shouldnt have to suffer through the breakfast experience. If you do stay here, requests a room as high up as possible because, although it is a non-smoking property, people (including an employee we discovered) smoke in the bottom stairwell and the smoke wafts up to the rooms. Having said that, I voiced my complaints to management following the stay and they were responsive and said they would address the problems.

Room Tip: Ask for upper floors. Cigarette smoke from the ground floor stairwell can be overwhelming
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I had a good stay at this location. The lobby staff is very polite. The rooms were clean and pleasant. There are a ton of general food and shopping areas surrounding the area. You are only about 10 minutes away from downtown. The only thing that bothered me was the amount of police and security in the area. Make sure you lock your car doors and take in everything that is valuable.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevator to get better sleep.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 21, 2014

This was my first time staying at this property. Overall, my experience was very pleasant. Initially, upon arrival, I was checked in by a nice young lady, I believe Dominica. She was very cordial and iniviting. Once I entered the room, I noticed there was an odd smell in the room...stale even.

I spoke with Dominica and she offered to transfer me to another room; however, I was already settled in and did not want to move again.

As I began to unpack some of my belongings, I decided to take a shower. I happen to look at the shower curtain and there was mildew on it. Again, I notified the attendant and she profusely apologized.

The GM, who I believe is Angie asked how I enjoyed my stay...I began to tell her the issues that arose. She then went above and beyond to rectify the situation.

This hotel operates in a team manner and is very efficient at their jobs. I also want to mention Helen was a very nice attendant as well.

I will stay at this property again...especially if the same workers are still around.

Thank you for being so accommodating!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Ms C
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Everytime I visit this hotel I enjoy my stay. everyone speaks. housekeepers go out of there way to make sure your stay is the best I love it there an I will be back this was my third visit...I also referred friends and family to visit..

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank shawntaymaddox81
Reviewed January 7, 2014

This old and worn out property is hardly worth carrying the Marriott flag. It began well enough. The desk staff was courteous, and helpful, but once they pointed me to the room, the problems began. This property is an extended stay, so the longer staying inhabitants are far more likely to wring the life out of the rooms. Extended stays are like rental cars. People beat the places to death because they can. My room had a faulty thermostat, which caused the room to be about 80 degrees until I adjusted the window AC unit. The outside temperature was 17 degrees because of the arctic blast, but ultimately, I ended up setting the AC at 61 degrees with the fan on "constant" to get it to be a comfortable 70'ish. As is their practice at this property, the front desk called to make sure all was well, but when I told them about the AC, she had no earthly idea what to do, and offered no help. The furniture is worn out, my bedside lamp had a burned out bulb, the bathroom was illuminated by what appeared to be a 5watt bulb, which gave the tiny bathroom the feel of a solitary confinement cell. With dim light comes mold, and the tub surround had plenty of it, especially where the drywall was eaten away from years of unabated moisture. The shower curtain fixture failed when I slid the curtain, and I ended up re-threading it back on the rod. This particular issue didn't just happen, based on the damage, it has been ignored for a while. I was going to stay 2 nights, but with that many issues, I'll go find another property.

Room Tip: Find another property to stay. This is not Marriott's finest, by far.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank misterblutarsky
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Travelled all day with 2 yr old and my mother on icy roads and this place was great to stay! Accommodated a room change (love the separate bedrooms suite) with a smile and we are forever grateful for the great service! Included breakfast was yummy with plenty of choices (clean and organized)and had us on our way well rested and well fed.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lori W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Candlewood Suites Birmingham/Homewood
Best Western Plus Carlton Suites
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Homewood, AL
Residence Inn Birmingham Homewood
Courtyard Birmingham Homewood
Residence Inn Birmingham Downtown at UAB

Been to TownePlace Suites Birmingham Homewood? Share your experiences!