“Will give another try ...”
Review of Max's Delicatessen - CLOSED

Max's Delicatessen
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Birmingham, Alabama
“Will give another try ...”
Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

Not totally impressed with this Deli because of the lack of friendliness of the staff & OK food. Maybe it was just a bad day. The potential is there & if the soup had been hot, it would have been delicious.
We will give it another try !

Visited March 2014

“Good food and service”
Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

We ate here with a party of around 25. The food was good and the portion sizes were large, probably could have split an entree between two adults. The prices were a bit high though. The service was great, especially given our party size.

1 Thank SD6z
Kansas City
“A New York-Style Deli in Suburban Birmingham!”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I visited Birmingham in October of 2013 to attend the Barber Vintage Weekend, a nationally-known gathering of aficionados of classic and vintage motorcycles. Since I live in Kansas City -- where we've outlawed smoking in restaurants for several years -- it's always a big surprise to me to travel the South and find restaurants where it's still allowed.

That's why I ended up at Max's -- which is a non-smoking restaurant in the heart of smoking-land! For dinner that evening I had a "deluxe" Reuben sandwich, which means it comes with french fries! The Reuben was quite good -- say, an "8" on a NYC deli 10-point scale. The secret for a good Reuben -- assuming you've got the right ingredients which Max's does -- is to drain the sauerkraut so the bottom piece of bread doesn't end up soggy. Max's Reuben is most definitely NOT soggy. The fries were just great -- I suspect they are "double-fried" to get that crisp texture.

The only down side to Max's is that they don't have a liquor license, so you can't have a drink, a glass of wine or a glass of beer with your meal. Not a huge deal to me, but -- combined with the non-smoking policy -- it certainly keeps the riff-raff out of the place.

Max's is exactly what it purports to be -- a good deli without any bad habits. My waitress was very attentive and wanted to ensure I had a good meal with no drama. Next time (which would be next October...) I go to Atlanta I'll be sure and stop by Max's Deli!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank captmike123
Birmingham, AL
“Would not honor previous purchased gift cards.”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Purchased gift card was refused. Worth 60$, previous owner would not have done this to his customers. I will not be back. This is cheating so who knows what they cheat on behind the counter.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Ray S
Clayton, California
“Good food, slow service”
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Good food but slow kitchen and poor service. Our waitress was too busy flirting with the single seated next to us whose food arrived before ours even though we ordered 10 minutes before he even got there. The grilled veggi sandwich, hot dog and fries were excellent. Probably will stop someplace else when we are in the area.

• Visited July 2013